The Student Room Group

Drama School Applications - Timing

Hi Guys,
Wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the timing of applying for a place at Drama School? I have noticed that a lot of the Drama Schools advise on their sites that you should apply early and some of the applications open in September. Also my school is planning to submit our UCAS forms in September and some of the schools take applications through UCAS. However I know the auditions go on through til next year and to be honest I don't feel ready with my monologues and would much prefer to audition early next year. I think I will have a better chance if I have more time to prepare. I don't want to miss out and leave it too late but is there a way of applying but requesting to audition later rather than sooner? From what I can see you get no choice in the dates and as soon as you apply you can be called to audition.
Original post by Riddlemethat
Hi Guys,
Wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the timing of applying for a place at Drama School? I have noticed that a lot of the Drama Schools advise on their sites that you should apply early and some of the applications open in September. Also my school is planning to submit our UCAS forms in September and some of the schools take applications through UCAS. However I know the auditions go on through til next year and to be honest I don't feel ready with my monologues and would much prefer to audition early next year. I think I will have a better chance if I have more time to prepare. I don't want to miss out and leave it too late but is there a way of applying but requesting to audition later rather than sooner? From what I can see you get no choice in the dates and as soon as you apply you can be called to audition.

Hi!

Where are you thinking of applying?

You can find all our details for how to apply at Birmingham School of Acting on our applications page here. All schools offering courses through UCAS should have the same deadline dates etc, although I can only give details on our process, but assume others will be very similar...

Although our Acting degree is direct application to the school and not via UCAS, it still has the same deadline for on time applications which is 15th January. Late applications will be considered up until the 30th April.
The process for the BA (Hons) Acting course involves an initial and recall audition. Auditions dates are allocated by the admissions team upon receiving your application and so could be any time from your submission date (although I'm sure if you had any problem with this you would be able to liaise with admissions), but don't worry about not feeling prepared, there's tonnes of advice and guidance to help you prep in time. Check out the videos on our auditions page for advice from students that have recently been through the application process. I've also attached our guidance packs for applicants.

Hope this puts your mind at ease and all the best! :smile:

Lydia (BCU)
Reply 2
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hi!

Where are you thinking of applying?

You can find all our details for how to apply at Birmingham School of Acting on our applications page here. All schools offering courses through UCAS should have the same deadline dates etc, although I can only give details on our process, but assume others will be very similar...

Although our Acting degree is direct application to the school and not via UCAS, it still has the same deadline for on time applications which is 15th January. Late applications will be considered up until the 30th April.
The process for the BA (Hons) Acting course involves an initial and recall audition. Auditions dates are allocated by the admissions team upon receiving your application and so could be any time from your submission date (although I'm sure if you had any problem with this you would be able to liaise with admissions), but don't worry about not feeling prepared, there's tonnes of advice and guidance to help you prep in time. Check out the videos on our auditions page for advice from students that have recently been through the application process. I've also attached our guidance packs for applicants.

Hope this puts your mind at ease and all the best! :smile:

Lydia (BCU)

Hi Lydia,
Thanks so much. The thing that I am confused over is that a lot of the Schools say on their site applications open September, apply as soon as possible, but then it seems you can leave applying til January. I don't want to disadvantage myself by waiting to apply if it is the wrong thing to do but I would prefer to apply later in the year when I have had more preparation time.
I am thinking of applying to East 15, MMU, ALRA and ARTSED. I can't sing so Birmingham is not on my shortlist but thank you so much for the reply!
Reply 3
Hi

This is my first year of applying so there may be someone else who is better placed to give you advice, however, I have been told that the best time to apply is when you are ready as for some places you can get an audition quite quickly. In my opinion I would say that it is better to apply a little later and be fully prepared rather than apply early and end up having to audition before you are ready. Does your school have to submit your UCAS form in Sept or can you ask them to submit it a little bit later?.

Although the drama schools suggest applying early I know that a lot of people apply later on, I would say that applying Dec/Jan time would still be early enough.

I think some schools have a section where you can put dates you are not available for audition but I am not sure if they all do that.
Original post by Riddlemethat
Hi Lydia,
Thanks so much. The thing that I am confused over is that a lot of the Schools say on their site applications open September, apply as soon as possible, but then it seems you can leave applying til January. I don't want to disadvantage myself by waiting to apply if it is the wrong thing to do but I would prefer to apply later in the year when I have had more preparation time.
I am thinking of applying to East 15, MMU, ALRA and ARTSED. I can't sing so Birmingham is not on my shortlist but thank you so much for the reply!

Hi,

That's no problem! That's right, applications are open until mid January so you can apply any time up until then if you want to hold off for a while to prep. Or like Elizza suggested, when contacting admissions maybe you could state you're only available after a certain date?

Good luck with the applications!

Lydia (BCU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending