The Student Room Group

How do you know when to stop building muscle?

Scroll to see replies

It's always with the arms with men.
The ideally appealing body for a man is a proportion of 1.6:1 shoulder perimeter to waist given your ideal waist estimation, which shifts taking into account tallness.
Reply 22
I used to want to be quite big. Like 80-85 at 5ft5. Biggest I ever got was 78 and I'm 68 now. I don't really want to get bigger now, just a bit leaner. Being smaller lets me feel more athletic, I didn't realise I didn't feel too good at 78.

There's something to be said for trying to get out of body dysmorphia crew. If you legit want to get big then fine but most guys in the gym more need to sort their heads. I'm trying to remember that for all I'm small by gym standards I'm still a lot more muscular than average. Before I was probably chasing a goal that's barely possible naturally and not thinking it was huge.
When you need planning permission to get it any bigger.
Original post by BKS
I used to want to be quite big. Like 80-85 at 5ft5. Biggest I ever got was 78 and I'm 68 now. I don't really want to get bigger now, just a bit leaner. Being smaller lets me feel more athletic, I didn't realise I didn't feel too good at 78.

There's something to be said for trying to get out of body dysmorphia crew. If you legit want to get big then fine but most guys in the gym more need to sort their heads. I'm trying to remember that for all I'm small by gym standards I'm still a lot more muscular than average. Before I was probably chasing a goal that's barely possible naturally and not thinking it was huge.

I'm not a bodybuilder so my interest that most have in getting huge and being perfect doesn't really exist. I'd say I fall more into your camp of preferring to look athletic which why I like my shape overall. I suppose it's my goal where I want to develop extremely impressive glutes that no other guy can have. Most men can have huge arms but most can't have huge glutes.
Reply 25
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou
I'm not a bodybuilder so my interest that most have in getting huge and being perfect doesn't really exist. I'd say I fall more into your camp of preferring to look athletic which why I like my shape overall. I suppose it's my goal where I want to develop extremely impressive glutes that no other guy can have. Most men can have huge arms but most can't have huge glutes.

I think athletic is smaller than what you are going for. Like maybe 75 max at 5,5

Most guys can have big glutes, they just don't care
I strive for atheleticism but I find balancing the cardio and lifting hard for recovery wise. Recently been doing more bodybuilding higher rep work; there's something magic about dat pump...
Original post by BKS
I think athletic is smaller than what you are going for. Like maybe 75 max at 5,5

Most guys can have big glutes, they just don't care

I desire an athletic shape on my upper body which is quite well-proportioned with strong shoulders. If I end up cutting it will look good. The only part I want to bulk are my legs because that's the aesthetic I want. True I won't have a true athletic shape but I do prefer it. Before I started lifting however I weighed around 75kg.
Original post by redbuthotter
The day you start lifting, is the day you are forever too small.

:rofl:

[video="youtube;7kbSfFFEvxw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kbSfFFEvxw[/video]
Perfect physique IMO....
https://fbcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-0/11923557_1417445268272063_4625301788107094269_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=7a73fda47825d5f55decacc1431a2b02&oe=566C9FC9&__gda__=1449538201_c2cc211a5012d649085c486617ee6d3b

Lazar is love, Lazar is life.
Lazar is not natural.

That body is the perfect balance between athleticism and size but obviously everyone has different views on what is the 'best' physique to have.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest