The Student Room Group

My Asian parents are ridiculous

They have hugely unrealistic expectations and are very critical. I can't actually remember them ever praising me or giving me a compliment or even a hug :s-smilie:

I wonder what it's like to have parents who treat you like an actual person and not as a robotic extension of themselves... :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I really feel u on this.
This is literally my mum

Just get away from them as soon as you can
Same applies to african parents *sadface*
:frown: I'm sorry, I hope you can find someone in your life (a teacher, partner, friend) who encourages and praises you like you deserve :smile: for now all you can do is believe in yourself and try to blank out what they say.. do what you want, not what they want
maybe its just that asian parents/african parents (any parents that are brown) are just like this. Maybe its white parents that be the exception. 2spooky4me.

Just tell them to **** off. the day I did that i swear my life changed for the better. idgaf if they feel bad. better they feel it than me (or you)
Reply 6
African parents are the same. They don't actually care about getting to know you as a person. To them you're just a project. All the care about is what they have imagined you are like and going to be like. They become so obsessed with this idea that they forget you are a real person and end up not giving a **** about who you really. It's quite sad really.
I'm Asian I get you and I go to a school full of Asians so the competition is high
Original post by Anonymous
Same applies to african parents *sadface*

So true
Appreciate your parents. They want the best for you.
Reply 12
I'm not asian but I feel like this about my family :frown: It had an effect on my mental health in the end
My solution: We all meet up, go to NASAs control center takeover their space shuttle, then take over the universe. I got a E in maths but i am 20% sure i can calculate the orbital velocity and the acceleration needed for lift. Maybe. After we drop bombs on Pluto we can play some JB through space, the only catch is sound waves cant travel through space so no one will hear his ****, then we take ur parents to space and put them on Mars. Who is with me???? Lets get this paper boys!!!!!
this upsets me, I can't stand parents who simply want trophy kids. It seems this mainly applies to Asian and African parents and its sad. I understand wanting your child to do well but there is a difference between support and force. I know of one African kid who killed himself after getting his gcse results a couple of years ago and knowing the parents and what people around them were saying I'm sure he ended his life because of fear and pressure to do well from them. It's sad and I'm grateful that my parents love me no matter what I got (im african btw). They always told me to work hard and achieve and I was praised no matter what I got and I didn't always get the top grades. Some parents need to understand not everyone is meant for medical school lol
Original post by alldayniqqa
Appreciate your parents. They want the best for you.

sometimes some parents just want trophy kids or to live vicariously through them, its not okay.
Reply 16
Another 'frustrated white boy on TSR' pretending to be an ethnic minority so he can attack it anonymously.

Seeing a lot of these threads lately. :holmes:
If you believe you can achieve

Posted from TSR Mobile
#WhitePrivilege
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
I'm Asian I get you and I go to a school full of Asians so the competition is high

Competition for what? Are there a limited number of A* grades that you're all competing for?

What is this 'school full of Asians' competing over?

Assuming you're actually an Asian. :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending