The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fenice
Here is what it says on the section for mature applicants:

The linked page lists all the expected qualifications but does not give any information for mature students. It also says that for courses other than medicine 'the usual expectation is that candidates will complete the A-levels specified in their applications within a two year period'. I don't know, to answer. I was intending to apply with my A-Levels and an access course on the basis that I need to do something recent and my A-Levels can only improve my chances.

Ideally I would like to do apply on the back of my A-Levels - I was simply under the impression that I wouldn't get through the door.

This is extremely useful, thanks. I have emailed the admissions tutor as to whether this will be enough. It is a bit concerning that these aren't mentioned on any of the relevant website pages or on the summer school pages.

One concern is that questions will arise from me doing a summer school in a subject different from the course I am applying for as law courses don't seem to come up ? My A-Levels are from 2012 and exceed the standard offer.

Additionally, I could start an access course now and have had the results by the normal time as my provider runs throughout the year.

I had a quote from you but it has disappeared

A response from my counterpart at Oxford:

Depending on how long ago you sat your A levels you may not need to undertake a further entrance qualification. At Oxford we do accept Access courses and distance learning courses and so it is possible that the course you have in mind would be considered a rigorous entrance qualification. If you would like to seek further confirmation please email[email protected] with details of the course you have in mind and we will then be able to advise further.
Original post by jneill
@LucyCavendish can you also have a look at post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64511953&postcount=31 and the next few posts after it?

Done. Thank you for flagging!
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
My colleague from Harris Manchester says:

As far as Harris Manchester, Oxford is concerned we would be happy to consider an application in the absence of any predicted grades. It is not uncommon for applicants to apply having self-taught and we appreciate their situation. For most courses we ask candidates to sit an aptitude test, and for some subjects we also ask them to supply written work as part of the application procedure. These give us a good sense of a candidate’s potential and we are able to make our decisions as to who to shortlist for interview on the basis of these and in the absence of predicted grades. You do not say which subject you intend to apply for but if you would like to look up whether there is a written test and/or written work requirement for your chosen course then please see https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing?wssl=1. If, following interview, you were to be offered a place it would be conditional on achieving the required A Level grades in advance of starting the course.

Ah, thankyou! That's actually quite encouraging, so I would apply through normal channels, and my liklihood of interview would be assessed through the aptitude tests, and then interview for a possible conditional offer, dependent on my grades in august 2017. That sounds perfect to me, also allows me to re-sit any of my AS exam units if I'm unhappy with the grade, as a bonus.
It's history I am looking at by the way, I have already had quite a perusal of old HAT papers. Much to think about :smile:
Hi,

I'm interested in taking an English and French undergraduate course at Oxford in September 2017 and I was wondering if you could help me figure out whether I need to take any additional courses or sit a specific exam in order to make myself eligible. I have an Italian "Esame di Stato" diploma with a 100% score (Oxford requirement is 95%) obtained in foreign languages and literature at the end of High School in July 2013 (English and French literature were two of the main subjects in my final exam). I have been out of education for the past 3 years because I was given the opportunity to work and tour as a musician and I would love to get back to academia next year as a mature student - I will be 24 by the start of the course. I'm aware I will have to sit the ELAT and MLAT in November as well as the advanced IELTS test prior to a potential interview and I was wondering if there are any other requirements I should be aware of.

Many thanks!

Alina
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alina.martin
Hi,

I'm interested in taking an English and French undergraduate course at Oxford in September 2017 and I was wondering if you could help me figure out whether I need to take any additional courses or sit a specific exam in order to make myself eligible. I have an Italian "Esame di Stato" diploma with a 100% score (Oxford requirement is 95%) obtained in foreign languages and literature at the end of High School in July 2013 (English and French literature were two of the main subjects in my final exam). I have been out of education for the past 3 years because I was given the opportunity to work and tour as a musician and I would love to get back to academia next year as a mature student - I will be 24 by the start of the course. I'm aware I will have to sit the ELAT and MLAT in November as well as the advanced IELTS test prior to a potential interview and I was wondering if there are any other requirements I should be aware of.

Many thanks!

Alina

I'll consult with my counterpart at Oxford and get back to you as soon as I can.
I'll consult with my counterpart at Oxford and get back to you as soon as I can.

Much appreciated!
Original post by alina.martin
Much appreciated!

My colleague from Oxford says:

"In addition to the ELAT and the MLAT candidates are also required to submit two pieces of written work, one for English and one for French. Please see the following webpage for further details https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/english-and-modern-languages?wssl=1. If you don’t have any written work to hand then please contact the admissions office of your preferred college to seek further advice. Otherwise, there shouldn’t be anything further you need to do other than to apply through UCAS by 15th October. "
I would think so, provided you could provide evidence of/some explanation for the extenuating circumstances that impacted your GCSEs, first time round. That would certainly be the case at Cambridge, anyhow.

Thanks for that. I'm retaking the English GCSE this year, so fingers crossed for those top marks this time!

I'm um-ing and ah-ing about retaking Maths too, which i got a B in originally. It will cost a few hundred to retake at college though, and i'm not sure if an extra A/A* will make a lot of difference (enough to warrant the expenditure). Any advice from Cambs/Oxford? Thanks!
Hi everyone,

Harris Manchester College, Oxford and Lucy Cavendish College, Cambridge, will be hosting a joint event for prospective mature applicants to Oxbridge, in London, later this month (seehttp://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/events...udents-aged-21).

We're also hosting a joint thread throughout September! So if you are going to be over 21 or over at the time you start University, and you have any questions about applying to either Oxford or Cambridge, please post them here and we will do our best to answer...

(Lots of information on Cambridge specifically over in the Cambridge Forum at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2878031)

Hi!
It's such good news that there is a thread for applicants of 21+ years of age! I'm one of them :biggrin:

Is there anything I must know about the admission process? Like, any specific requirements that may be different from those applied for 18 to 19-year-old candidates, and what I must do to win an offer accordingly. Are we expected more of experience and extra-curricular activities or something?

I am teaching myself a levels, which cover subjects that I believe, considering my favourite course, should help me much in terms of academic skills and background knowledge. As and A*s are apparently required; they are like the threshold of an oxbridge application aren't they? I also learnt about admission tests for different courses and the one I will have to sit for is TSA. I'm also reading books about my favourite field and trying to master my reasoning ability. I would really appreciate if you could suggest anything I can and must do as an oxbridge applicant.

Thanks a lot for your advice! :smile:
Hello and thank you for the opportunity presented by this thread.

I am currently 22 years old and have just finished my A levels and achieved A*A*A in History, Geography and Classical Civilisation.
I am looking to apply to Oxford for History (possibly at Harris Manchester) and would like some advice as to what my chances would be.
Unfortunately due to persistent and very disruptive personal circumstances from the age of 16 till present I have a less than typical academic background. I have well covered mitigating circumstances that my college were aware of and this will be covered in my reference.

Essentially I have 1 A* (history), 4 As, 5 Bs and 1 C (French) at GCSE.
Aside from this I have little in terms of extracurricular activities or time spent at seminars etc.
I have spent a year living and working in Dubai however.
I would like to think I would do well on the HAT ,that my personal statement will be good and I would hope to perform well at interview (providing I refresh myself on the reading I plan to mention in my personal statement)

I would like to know to what extent you feel my GCSEs and irregular academic profile would be seen by the admissions teams. Would I benefit from having achieved good A2 grades or will my problematic start and GCSEs hinder me too much.

Also, would I benefit from applying to Harris Manchester or would I be able to apply to any college and have fairly much the same chance. What is the average age group at mature colleges?

Thank you very much
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Capitan Kerr
Hello and thank you for the opportunity presented by this thread.

I am currently 22 years old and have just finished my A levels and achieved A*A*A in History, Geography and Classical Civilisation.
I am looking to apply to Oxford for History (possibly at Harris Manchester) and would like some advice as to what my chances would be.
Unfortunately due to persistent and very disruptive personal circumstances from the age of 16 till present I have a less than typical academic background. I have well covered mitigating circumstances that my college were aware of and this will be covered in my reference.

Essentially I have 1 A* (history), 4 As, 5 Bs and 1 C (French) at GCSE.
Aside from this I have little in terms of extracurricular activities or time spent at seminars etc.
I have spent a year living and working in Dubai however.
I would like to think I would do well on the HAT ,that my personal statement will be good and I would hope to perform well at interview (providing I refresh myself on the reading I plan to mention in my personal statement)

I would like to know to what extent you feel my GCSEs and irregular academic profile would be seen by the admissions teams. Would I benefit from having achieved good A2 grades or will my problematic start and GCSEs hinder me too much.

Also, would I benefit from applying to Harris Manchester or would I be able to apply to any college and have fairly much the same chance. What is the average age group at mature colleges?

Thank you very much

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm starting at History and Politics at Harris Manchester this October. I actually applied to Magdalen but was eventually accepted by HMC, and actually I'm really glad. I didn't apply there originally because I though a mature college would be retirees etc, but it's not at all. It's generally still a young vibe but without 18 year-olds excited to be away from home for the first time.

I actually resat all my GCSEs before applying, but I reckon you could easily make up for 'bad' GCSEs by doing well in the HAT etc. And you have good A levels, so....
Hi everyone,

Harris Manchester College, Oxford and Lucy Cavendish College, Cambridge, will be hosting a joint event for prospective mature applicants to Oxbridge, in London, later this month (seehttp://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/events...udents-aged-21).

We're also hosting a joint thread throughout September! So if you are going to be over 21 or over at the time you start University, and you have any questions about applying to either Oxford or Cambridge, please post them here and we will do our best to answer...

(Lots of information on Cambridge specifically over in the Cambridge Forum at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2878031)

Dear Lucy Cavendish,

I am currently considering applying to the A101 GEM course at Oxford(Harris Manchester). However I am very worried that my application will not be competitive at all.
At the moment I am predicted to achieve a first and my A-levels results are ABB. My GCSE results are also very average. I am also aware that Oxford places a huge emphasis on the BMAT. But how well do I need to do on the BMAT to compensate for my low grades and to securing an interview?

Many thanks in advance.
Reply 52
Hi all, due to staff changes at Lucy Cavendish College this thread is now closed. It may be re-opened at some point in the future.

In the meantime you can contact Cambridge or Oxford mature colleges direct with any queries.

Latest

Trending

Trending