The Student Room Group

I failed my As levels

I just came back recently from vacations and got my results which were horrible.(ADUU)Im focusing on sciences. Never expected such results!!
I got a D for biology (Ocr) and U for Chemistry!! I don't if i should just resit the biology exams or the whole year.
Is it worth it to resit Chemistry?Seriously, in the most realistic way, is it possible for me to get a A or B?

P.s: I got the A in spanish, but i dont really know what to complement it with, if i were to forget about the sciences?

URGENT HELP!!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
What was the A in?
Reply 2
Original post by revolution_callum
What was the A in?

The A is in spanish, but i dont know whether to focus on the spanish, because
i dont know what to complement it with
I'd suggest resitting the year, but leave your Spanish grade as it is. You can't really easily continue on to A2 with these grades
I am pretty sure you will have to retake the year anyway since you only passed two A-Levels.
Original post by osezele
I just came back recently from vacations and got my results which were horrible.(ADUU)Im focusing on sciences. Never expected such results!!
I got a D for biology (Ocr) and U for Chemistry!! I don't if i should just resit the biology exams or the whole year.
Is it worth it to resit Chemistry?Seriously, in the most realistic way, is it possible for me to get a A or B?

P.s: I got the A in spanish, but i dont really know what to complement it with, if i were to forget about the sciences?

URGENT HELP!!!!

Well as someone who retook year 12 I can tell you that it is actually something that is really useful, in my first attempt I got C (Biology), C(Chemistry) E(Physics, Maths and Critical Thinking), I was really set on taking a science at university (I am heading off to study Biomedical Science at KCL), so I resat year 12, retook Biology and Chemistry and picked up RS and English Literature and it paid off as I came out with AABB (A in Biology and RS, B in Chemistry and Lit), while it may seem like the end of the world it really isn't! I would suggest having a quick think about what subjects you really like because you may have chosen the wrong subjects, I know now that I didn't play to my strengths in my first try at Year 12 (as I knew that a good mix of essay and science would be good for me but I didn't bother as I was too worried about having maths A level for university - which many universities actually don't care about. If you have a talent for languages maybe you should try essay based subjects, psychology or sociology would be good as they are in some ways science based subjects (arguably). If you do these subjects and decide you still want to do a science course you can do a foundation year which is offered by many different universities for entry onto science programmes without science A Levels.
Reply 6
Original post by revolution_callum
Well as someone who retook year 12 I can tell you that it is actually something that is really useful, in my first attempt I got C (Biology), C(Chemistry) E(Physics, Maths and Critical Thinking), I was really set on taking a science at university (I am heading off to study Biomedical Science at KCL), so I resat year 12, retook Biology and Chemistry and picked up RS and English Literature and it paid off as I came out with AABB (A in Biology and RS, B in Chemistry and Lit), while it may seem like the end of the world it really isn't! I would suggest having a quick think about what subjects you really like because you may have chosen the wrong subjects, I know now that I didn't play to my strengths in my first try at Year 12 (as I knew that a good mix of essay and science would be good for me but I didn't bother as I was too worried about having maths A level for university - which many universities actually don't care about. If you have a talent for languages maybe you should try essay based subjects, psychology or sociology would be good as they are in some ways science based subjects (arguably). If you do these subjects and decide you still want to do a science course you can do a foundation year which is offered by many different universities for entry onto science programmes without science A Levels.

Thanks a lot for your advice it seems you do know a lot about this well. I will consider resiting year twelve, i really needed help cause i was in shock with the results. But now i know its not the end of the world, I have to find out more about the foundation years though
Reply 7
Yeah most probably
Original post by osezele
Thanks a lot for your advice it seems you do know a lot about this well. I will consider resiting year twelve, i really needed help cause i was in shock with the results. But now i know its not the end of the world, I have to find out more about the foundation years though

It's perfectly fine, I know the feeling it's pretty awful. Try the UCAS Search option that might be quite helpful if searching out the universities that offer the foundation courses. Try googling 'UCAS course search' that should give you some help.
I'm another person who retook AS, I would really suggest doing it- it felt like the end of the world at the time, but in reality it gave me time to think over what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I came out with MUCH better grades the next time (I went from 4D's to getting 94% in maths and 92% in chemistry) and felt a lot more confident with where I was heading. I know a lot of people who went to uni whilst I was doing a 3rd year that hated their course and either dropped out or considered it. There were a lot of other people I knew who also did a 3rd year and they all have a similar opinion to me, I would say go for it! It's not as big a deal as you may think it is now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest