The Student Room Group

Argos Christmas jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Also, is pay weekly or monthly.

Monthy
Original post by Reddington
When do they usually start hiring?

I worked there last year(first retail job) I suggest to all of you not to work there they use temps like slaves overtime sometimes they get the pay wrong & now with targets different types of refunds returns etc. work at some smaller place like Game, body shop, Greg's, tkmax a local resturant. Argos and Home base are notorious for there deals(cards warranties) and you get a load of **** customers there I got kept the longest for the temps but I beg you guys find somewhere else the stockroom (dangerous ladders manky headsets running back & forth is hell)
Reply 62
Original post by TheElvenQueen
I worked there last year(first retail job) I suggest to all of you not to work there they use temps like slaves overtime sometimes they get the pay wrong & now with targets different types of refunds returns etc. work at some smaller place like Game, body shop, Greg's, tkmax a local resturant. Argos and Home base are notorious for there deals(cards warranties) and you get a load of **** customers there I got kept the longest for the temps but I beg you guys find somewhere else the stockroom (dangerous ladders manky headsets running back & forth is hell)

I worked there last year and my experience couldn't be more far from the opposite, obviously the work was tiring but what retail work wasnt. I really enjoyed the stockroom as the stoockroom manager was very chill and let us talk to each other whilst doing our work and have a bit of fun with each other. The manager was a nice guy as well and obviously wanted us to meet our targets but helped us and gave us more freedom than you would expect.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone got any idea what the pay is like
Reply 64
So contrary to the other interview stories here, I had a group one (but I'll put this down to the fact that I applied for the Christmas temporary position).

The person 'interviewing' us said she'd be taking notes based on observations on the way we interacted as a group. So we did some group exercises, and the first was to find out as much as we could as our partners. The guy I was with didn't cooperate with me much but I tried my best. After that, we fedback this information to the group.

Next exercise, we were put into groups of fours to create a superhero that best describes Argos, and is the perfect representation of an employee. Again, we did a small presentation of that and were judged on our personalities and the way we worked as a team.

Then we were told to show someone our right to work documents, write down when we were available to do shifts etc. Lastly, we had a brief q&a session and that was it. We find out on Tuesday when we're successful. We don't know about pay until we're actually given the job offer.
I applied online about 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing, handed my cv in to the store about 5 days ago too and still heard nothing :/ how long do they usually take to get back to you if they want to interview you?
Original post by greenmath
I applied online about 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing, handed my cv in to the store about 5 days ago too and still heard nothing :/ how long do they usually take to get back to you if they want to interview you?

They got back to me within a day however if they have a large number of applications they may take longer to get through them all and decide who should have a telephone interview (then a normal interview afterwards)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greenmath

13 days for me.

The telephone interview you get was actually only 1 interview question for me. The rest were just standard details.
Original post by saladisgreat
Would it be worth applying for more than one position, I haven't had previous retail experience either

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Sicaspeak
I've got no previous experience either (never had a job before! :frown:) so it's unlikely they'd bother with me but my local Argos is literally an easy ten minute walk from my house and would be ideal so it's worth a shot! Thanks for the link to the website! Fingers crossed for everyone that's applied!

i have no experience either and i just had my interview with argos and was successful i start my induction on monday and even before that i had an interview and trial/shift at a coffee shop at a train station, so there is hope :smile:
i know how you feel thinking employers wont hire you because you have a lack experience but there is hope, there will always be a few managers who are willing to give you a go. make sure your cv is looking good, practise interview question, learn more about the company and you should be good :smile:
Original post by dumb cabbage
To anyone interested- I came back from my interview and the manager said he'll let me know either Thursday or Friday. There was three different stages for the interview, the first stage was getting to know you so I came and sat in the meeting room, I waited for the manager to come and once he did he basically told me the interview process so in the first stage he asked me questions like tell me about yourself and why'd you like to work for Argos basically. (He writes what you answer on a booklet or something) once the first stage was over, we did the second stage which was speaking to the customers so he asked me to firstly walk around the store and think about is it easy for the customers to shop at Argos and did they enjoy shopping there so I did that and told him my answer and he then told me to approach a customer and ask if they need help and help them (i was praying for a good customer and I did get a good customer, the manager basically observes you) after that I went to the last stage and we went back to the meeting room, the final stage was about the manager giving me three or four different customer situations and I had to tell him how I'd do in the situation. One of the situations was that a customer is going on a holiday and he wants to buy a camera he doesn't know anything about tech so how'd you help him? After that, the manager asked me general questions about my leaving motive for my other job, my clothes size and yeah. Overall the interview wasn't that bad, but I don't know to feel about it however I'm not too fussed cos I got another two job interviews. If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by kendellex
I also had an interview and it consisted of all three of these sections but in a different order.
When I arrived an employee took my bag and told me to walk around the shop floor and help customers. I did this for 25 minutes. Then I was invited into the interview with the manager and somebody else. The manager asked questions while the other girl noted my answers. The question you a lot about customers and how to make them happy and the good/bad things about their store. I then finished with the scenarios (5 I think - you can find them online).
It went okay but was a bit thrown off when they expected me to help with customers without an official introduction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

my interview went the same expect i didn't go on the shop floor i was in the managers office and was asked questions about me, why i wanted to work at Argos etc and wrote down all my answers i did terrible in this part. then they asked my scenario based questions the hours i was available and my clothes size now i have an induction on Monday :biggrin:
has anyone else been successful with their interviews? i have, and i have an induction next monday. the manager said to bring all my details and that the induction will be about learning how the store works (the store i applied to is the first 'new' argos, everything's digital) he said i wouldn't be watching a dvd he said they did this in the past but not anymore. im unsure of what to wear or what else i should expect/or will be doing? also does this mean i got the job? and what is the pay like?
I applied for a job and still haven't heard off Argos yet. Was this the same for you guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had the interview today. I felt it went very well with nothing especially challenging and find out tomorrow (though he did photocopy my birth certificate, NI and ask my clothes size).

If i had to think of anything bad it's that because i worked before university it's been years since i was going to regular interviews and as a result i wasn't as relaxed and polished as i used to be. Also, some interviewers say 'that's great/fine' making you think you've given a great answer when you don't always get the job.
Original post by thevamps99xo
I applied for a job and still haven't heard off Argos yet. Was this the same for you guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile

13 days for me.
Original post by cathzeta10
has anyone else been successful with their interviews? i have, and i have an induction next monday. the manager said to bring all my details and that the induction will be about learning how the store works (the store i applied to is the first 'new' argos, everything's digital) he said i wouldn't be watching a dvd he said they did this in the past but not anymore. im unsure of what to wear or what else i should expect/or will be doing? also does this mean i got the job? and what is the pay like?

I believe it legally increases to £6.70 per hour on October 1st (21+) and then £7.20 from April (25+).
Original post by dumb cabbage
Mines in South East :biggrin: fingers crossed guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

me too, i hope i get in
Reply 76
Didn't get the job. I'm not sure if it's worth going all the way to the store just to ask for feedback though. Group interviews are the absolute worst :frown:
got no interview or anything but then again i had zero experience
this sucks :angry:
No job offer. Despite 3-4 years of customer service experience, they felt that it wasn't recent enough (didn't really work during university).
I got a phone interview, then a store interview. Email 2 days later saying "we can't further your application..."

And so ... the quest for a job still continues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending