The Student Room Group

Financial problems at uni :(

Does anyone have any tips on how to finance their maintenance budget without a maintenance loan? I have finished sorting out my lunch + dinner and now I'm estimating to be surviving on about £10 a week for breakfast plus everything else.

I know I can get a job to boost my expenditure but is there any better alternative to maximising cash-flow for time?

Thanks in advance :smile: I would greatly appreciate any responses
(edited 8 years ago)
a job would be the easiest option
but you could do things like online surveys (which will get you a few extra pound a month if your lucky)
or sell your items on ebay/gumtree
or do some mystery shopping (if you can get in to that)
Original post by lllllllllll
Does anyone have any tips on how to finance their maintenance budget without a maintenance loan? I have finished sorting out my lunch + dinner and now I'm estimating to be surviving on about £10 a week for breakfast plus everything else.

I know I can get a job to boost my expenditure but is there any better alternative to maximising cash-flow for time?

I don't see why you wouldn't get a maintenance loan if you don't already have enough to finance uni, its low interest and you only pay it back when your earning enough to afford repayments

Hello,

I'd suggest shopping cheaper? That's always an option, shop around and see where the cheapest but most decent options are!
Of course, like you said, getting a small part time job is always worth it and can never hurt, so I'd like at that.
Are you spending your money on anything else that isn't essential? If so, then just lay off it for a bit?
Thanks for the responses everyone :smile:

Original post by jelly1000
I don't see why you wouldn't get a maintenance loan if you don't already have enough to finance uni, its low interest and you only pay it back when your earning enough to afford repayments

No way lol 4% is way too high.

Original post by Gaming_Hippy
a job would be the easiest option
but you could do things like online surveys (which will get you a few extra pound a month if your lucky)
or sell your items on ebay/gumtree
or do some mystery shopping (if you can get in to that)

I've looked at some of the posts in online forums. The users seem to have bad experiences with online surveys. I could consider mystery shopping :smile:

Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello,

I'd suggest shopping cheaper? That's always an option, shop around and see where the cheapest but most decent options are!
Of course, like you said, getting a small part time job is always worth it and can never hurt, so I'd like at that.
Are you spending your money on anything else that isn't essential? If so, then just lay off it for a bit?

My shopping is as low as it's going to get I think :tongue: My food supply for the entire year will be on whole sale 20kg bags of pasta and rice that I recently bought with whole sale canned sauces (18 cans per box). (I know it's crazy) :biggrin:

I've taken your advice and applied for various part-time jobs. Hopefully one will accept me :smile:
Get a job. I would be depressed the whole year & probably fail it because I wouldn't enjoy any of it cuz of no money at all.

Just have a boiled egg for breakfast each day mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending