The Student Room Group

400,000 sign UK Parliament petition - Accept more refugees >> A NEW RECORD <<

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reformed2010
Accept more asylum seekers.

There is a global refugee crisis. The UK is not offering proportional asylum in comparison with European counterparts. We can't allow refugees who have risked their lives to escape horrendous conflict and violence to be left living in dire, unsafe and inhumane conditions in Europe. We must help.

Sign: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105991

Parliament will now at least very likely debate it. Perhaps David Cameron might grow a heart by then.

Thank you for posting the link. I'm very pleased to have added my support to the petition and hope it prompts the government to take appropriate action.
Original post by Bornblue
Why should Hungary and France take them all? Spread them out so everyone helps out.
You do realise we've taken only 216 refugees. Hardly a swarm.

That does not include the 25000 we took last year and the thousands of illegals. That makes them a swarm and a virus
Original post by The Donut Maker
That does not include the 25000 we took last year and the thousands of illegals. That makes them a swarm and a virus

A 'swarm and virus' Wow. Yeah that little 3 year old who died trying to cross the sea was a virus wasn't he?
You're a xenophobic bigot and you know it.
People like you belong in the BNP.
Original post by Evangelion
Unskilled people who don't speak English, while we have skilled people all over the world who try for years to get here the legal way? For a start how will they be housed and fed? For free at our expense?

For those people, yes - pretty much. We are not a poor country and can afford to take a portion of the burden. Turkey has taken 1.7m refugees from Syria despite having half the GDP per capita of the UK. I'm not saying that we should make it our aim to accept that many people in, but I am saying that to oppose accepting refugees on principle is incredibly selfish.
I'm surprised at the vitriol directed towards asylum seekers on here, and the misinformation. We're not 'full' - Malta is the most densely populated country in Europe yet it continues to have 811 asylum claims per million people, compared to the UK's meagre 114. We certainly haven't 'taken enough' - and although it may seem that there is an influx of refugees threatening Britain, bear in mind that only 4% of migrants are asylum seekers, whilst the rest are economic migrants (not that I have anything against economic migrants who, for the most part, contribute more than they take).

'It's not our problem'. Even if it weren't, even if our country had nothing to do with the plight of these migrants, do you not have a sense of responsibility or compassion towards your fellow humans? We are developing a selfish, siege mentality.

I am ashamed at Britain's response. Or lack of.

Original post by Evangelion
No way. Worst idea I've heard in a long time, people never think of the consequences and for this idea they would be very very bad. It's not our problem, why should the regular ordinary people of Britain have to fund and put up with this while risking a lower standard of life, crime, NHS and housing stretched etc. These people don't speak English, have completely different cultures and most have only used in areas of conflict. They will never improve unless they stop running from their problems and deal with them. We built this country up, about time they did the same.

I'd like to dispute that :h:

The overwhelming majority of migrants are law-abiding citizens. Asylum seekers are less likely to commit crimes than UK-born citizens because they fear deportation back to the war-torn countries that they sought to flee in the first place. As with any group there is a small minority that commits crimes, yet their victims are often other asylum seekers. Claiming that migrants bring increased crime is nothing more than fear-mongering.

The NHS isn't stretched because of immigrants and asylum seekers. The NHS is stretched because of an ageing population which leads to increased dependency ratios, and a Tory government selling parts of it off for the sake of profit and denying it sufficient funding. There are actually many asylum seekers who are qualified doctors. It costs an approximate sum of £25,000 to support a refugee doctor, whereas it is £200,000-£250,000 to train a new one.

Most asylum seekers are unaware that a benefits system even exists before they arrive in Britain. And I somewhat doubt that people have traversed war-zones, floated across the Mediterranean on a rubber dinghy, crammed themselves into trucks alongside dozens of other people, and risked life and limb just to obtain a hard-to-let property... (Remember: they don't choose where they live.)

Government handouts to refugees are not large in the first place - many live off state support of £5 per day. They don't take jobs as most are simply not allowed to work.

Migrants generally try to learn English and assimilate into British culture (which isn't 'completely different' to their own), but they struggle to find educational resources for this. It's all very well telling people to integrate, but that's difficult to do when there is a distinct lack of help. Even then, most of these migrants struggling to learn English don't account for the entire migrant population. Many migrants speak English - hence why they don't want to stop in the first country they reach. They have the skills that can be best applied in the UK.

You say 'we' built this country up as if you had a role in it. No, you were fortunate enough to be born on this patch of land and so was I. In any case, this country was built up through its oppression of and tampering with other countries. Looks like that's coming back to bite us.

So tell me, how do you expect these refugees to deal with the problem? If you develop some miraculous plan which enables children and vulnerable adults to combat the war, the famine, the disease, I'm sure everyone would love to hear it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elen90
I'm surprised at the vitriol directed towards asylum seekers on here, and the misinformation. We're not 'full' - Malta is the most densely populated country in Europe yet it continues to have 811 asylum claims per million people, compared to the UK's meagre 114. We certainly haven't 'taken enough' - and although it may seem that there is an influx of refugees threatening Britain, bear in mind that only 4% of migrants are asylum seekers, whilst the rest are economic migrants (not that I have anything against economic migrants who, for the most part, contribute more than they take).

'It's not our problem'. Even if it weren't, even if our country had nothing to do with the plight of these migrants, do you not have a sense of responsibility or compassion towards your fellow humans? We are developing a selfish, siege mentality.

I am ashamed at Britain's response. Or lack of.

I'd like to dispute that :h:

The overwhelming majority of migrants are law-abiding citizens. Asylum seekers are less likely to commit crimes than UK-born citizens because they fear deportation back to the war-torn countries that they sought to flee in the first place. As with any group there is a small minority that commits crimes, yet their victims are often other asylum seekers. Claiming that migrants bring increased crime is nothing more than fear-mongering.

The NHS isn't stretched because of immigrants and asylum seekers. The NHS is stretched because of an ageing population which leads to increased dependency ratios, and a Tory government selling parts of it off for the sake of profit and denying it sufficient funding. There are actually many asylum seekers who are qualified doctors. It costs an approximate sum of £25,000 to support a refugee doctor, whereas it is £200,000-£250,000 to train a new one.

Most asylum seekers are unaware that a benefits system even exists before they arrive in Britain. And I somewhat doubt that people have traversed war-zones, floated across the Mediterranean on a rubber dinghy, crammed themselves into trucks alongside dozens of other people, and risked life and limb just to obtain a hard-to-let property... (Remember: they don't choose where they live.)

Government handouts to refugees are not large in the first place - many live off state support of £5 per day. They don't take jobs as most are simply not allowed to work.

Migrants generally try to learn English and assimilate into British culture (which isn't 'completely different' to their own), but they struggle to find educational resources for this. It's all very well telling people to integrate, but that's difficult to do when there is a distinct lack of help. Even then, most of these migrants struggling to learn English don't account for the entire migrant population. Many migrants speak English - hence why they don't want to stop in the first country they reach. They have the skills that can be best applied in the UK.

You say 'we' built this country up as if you had a role in it. No, you were fortunate enough to be born on this patch of land and so was I. In any case, this country was built up through its oppression of and tampering with other countries. Looks like that's coming back to bite us.

So tell me, how do you expect these refugees to deal with the problem? If you develop some miraculous plan which enables children and vulnerable adults to combat the war, the famine, the disease, I'm sure everyone would love to hear it.

+1.
That's one of the best posts I've ever seen written on this site.
Reply 106
It was good we helped the jews, Europe was not safe. Now the migrants are out of Syria they are safe. So no need to take them in, they are not wanted.

This is a joke, right? As seen on the news over the last few weeks, we've seen the refugees face the thread of drowning, being suffocated to death in trucks, taken advantage of by traffickers, starving, being demonised etc etc, they are far from safe outside of Syria.
Coming from a Swede the UK should not receive anymore.

Countries such as Finland , and some of the smaller states should deal with this.

IT HAS TO END SOMEWHERE.

Constant mass migration will destabilise the social fabric and cause issues.
I think specific help should be given to the Syrians. Its the African lot coming over who have me a bit more concerned. At least Syria was once a fairly prosperous nation unlike much of Africa. Its a no brainer to have preference given to aid Syrians who are in need
This is low even for the left, milking a dead toddler's corpse to push their own agenda.. what the hell has a drowning off the coast of turkey got to do with them 'being safe' in the UK? they can be safe in Turkey, Jordan, Israel, hell even Eastern Europe.. this is a fig leaf of pretence to dress up economic migrants trampling on the entire EU immigration laws (look at their aggressiveness in defying Hungary's attempt to enforce the Dublin Rule).

The UK donate 900 million to the Syrian aid foundation to help them, you left were the ones talking about avoiding intervention which is leading to the slaughter of hundreds of thousands, you cry about a couple of kids dead in the water? im sure the hundreds of thousands murdered in the most brutal ways imaginable in Syria would have prayed for such mercy which you were hell bent to deprive them of.

And thats only Syria, what horrible atrocities are the people of Eirtrea, Sudan, Afganistan, Pakistan doing weaved in amongst them playing the same card? I know plenty of Americans, Australians that struggle so hard to even get a work Visa for the UK. Now people are just completely undermining our freedoms and customs all based on a complete propaganda manipulation. I swear people die in transit every so often which ends up in the paper trying to get to the UK but nobody bats an eye lid, now the whole 'refugee' cocktail has been thrown in, falsely i might add, people are trying to imply that to not allow migrants (safe for thousands of miles before they reach even germany) is to abandon them to a horrific death.. it is the biggest load of bollacks the PC brigade has ever regurgitated and the media won't ****ing touch it because there is a dead kid and heaven forbid if you ever defy a point which is supposedly propped up by a dead kid.

Hypocrisy wrapped up in straw men served on a bed of irony!
(edited 8 years ago)
Number of Syrian Refugees taken by nation:
Turkey 1.94m
Lebanon 1.83m
Jordan 630k
Iraq 226k
Egypt 142k
Germany 105k
Sweden 42K
UK 216
A 'swarm and virus' Wow. Yeah that little 3 year old who died trying to cross the sea was a virus wasn't he?
You're a xenophobic bigot and you know it.
People like you belong in the BNP.

The boy was innocent, it is the economic migrants who can't settle for safe countries but instead want the free housing and benefits of the UK, they are the swarm and the viruses, I do not oppose immigration, I want controlled immigration, the BNP does not want that.

I feel like your intentions are different, are you definitely not Muslim?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AverageExcellence
This is low even for the left, milking a dead toddler's corpse to push their own agenda.. what the hell has a drowning off the coast of turkey got to do with them 'being safe' in the UK? they can be safe in Turkey, Jordan, Israel, hell even Eastern Europe.. this is a fig leaf of pretence to dress up economic migrants trampling on the entire EU immigration laws (look at their aggressiveness in defying Hungary's attempt to enforce the Dublin Rule).

The UK donate 900 million to the Syrian aid foundation to help them, you left were the ones talking about avoiding intervention which is leading to the slaughter of hundreds of thousands, you cry about a couple of kids dead in the water? im sure the hundreds of thousands murdered in the most brutal ways imaginable in Syria would have prayed for such mercy which you were hell bent to deprive them of.

Hypocrisy wrapped up in straw men served on a bed of irony!

It's unlikely that military action would have reduced the number of refugees.
The boy was innocent, it is the economic migrants who can't settle for safe countries but instead want the free housing and benefits of the UK, they are the swarm and the viruses, I do not oppose immigration, I want controlled immigration, the BNP does not want that.

I feel like your intentions are different, are you definitely not Muslim?

Nop I'm still Jewish.
They are not economic migrants nor immigrants. They are not travelling here for free housing and they don't qualify for benefits.
They are refugees escaping for their lives.
Original post by Hedgehogkilla
Turkey 1.94m
Lebanon 1.83m
Jordan 630k
Iraq 226k
Egypt 142k
Germany 105k
Sweden 42K
UK 216

Turkey 1.94m
Lebanon 1.83m
Jordan 630k
Iraq 226k
Egypt 142k
Germany 105k
Sweden 42K
UK 216

You fail to realise the UK gives more aid to the refugees than all of the EU put together. We are housing the millions in Turkey and Lebanon
Original post by Olie
This is a joke, right? As seen on the news over the last few weeks, we've seen the refugees face the thread of drowning, being suffocated to death in trucks, taken advantage of by traffickers, starving, being demonised etc etc, they are far from safe outside of Syria.

Then they may as well stay in the first safe place they go to, insteade of trying to go further.
It's unlikely that military action would have reduced the number of refugees.

Yes it clearly would, create safe zones in the country which would have created some level or order and stability.. you don't need to be a genius to figure that one out..
Nop I'm still Jewish.
They are not economic migrants nor immigrants. They are not travelling here for free housing and they don't qualify for benefits.
They are refugees escaping for their lives.

Last I checked once you are in France you have already escaped for your life, so why go the extra mile to get to the UK, it can't be the weather surely?
Last I checked once you are in France you have already escaped for your life, so why go the extra mile to get to the UK, it can't be the weather surely?

They don't get any more benefits here then they do in French. Many of them speak English. We should be doing all we can to help these people whoa re escaping for their lives. Why should France and Germany take them all?
We have accepted 216 people from Syria.
You fail to realise the UK gives more aid to the refugees than all of the EU put together. We are housing the millions in Turkey and Lebanon

Do you have the source of that data?

This is were my figures come from: http://www.unhcr.org.uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending