The Student Room Group

Help me decide which Maths modules to take?

Hey,

I'm starting Sixth Form tomorrow, and I assume at point within the next week I'll be asked which maths modules I'd like to take. I've looked at the specifications for M1, S1 and D1 and have read countless TSR posts regarding each maths module. Even after all of this research, I still don't understand which ones I'd be better suited to do.

Here are my synopses for each module, keeping in mind that this is from research and not experience:

Mechanics: The most-difficult module, but goes very well with physics (which I'm taking).

Statistics: Joint-first with Decision in terms of ease. Apparently can be learned in 2 weeks with exam-solutions and a few past papers.

Decision: Again, very easy. Unlike any other module in terms of the type of mathematical content. Could potentially be very useful for computer science, which deals with algorithms a lot.

I'm hoping to do either computer science or economics at Uni.

Keep in mind, I'm talking exclusively about my first AS-level module -- so either M1, S1 or D1. Eventually I'd be able to make an educated decision after taking a few core and applied modules as to which ones I'd want to do for A2, so that's not of concern for the time being.

A-level subjects: Maths, Physics, Economics, Chemistry
I'll be taking AS FM in year 13.
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Hey,

I'm starting Sixth Form tomorrow, and I assume at point within the next week I'll be asked which maths modules I'd like to take. I've looked at the specifications for M1, S1 and D1 and have read countless TSR posts regarding each maths module. Even after all of this research, I still don't understand which ones I'd be better suited to do.

Here are my synopses for each module, keeping in mind that this is from research and not experience:

Mechanics: The most-difficult module, but goes very well with physics (which I'm taking).

Statistics: Joint-first with Decision in terms of ease. Apparently can be learned in 2 weeks with exam-solutions and a few past papers.

Decision: Again, very easy. Unlike any other module in terms of the type of mathematical content. Could potentially be very useful for computer science, which deals with algorithms a lot.

I'm hoping to do either computer science or economics at Uni.

Keep in mind, I'm talking exclusively about my first AS-level module -- so either M1, S1 or D1. Eventually I'd be able to make an educated decision after taking a few core and applied modules as to which ones I'd want to do for A2, so that's not of concern for the time being.

A-level subjects: Maths, Physics, Economics, Chemistry
I'll be taking AS FM in year 13.

M1 is the hardest of the applied modules but it's still not that hard. Taking physics will make it easier and, if you do a similar physics course to the one I did, you will basically learn everything from M1 twice, in maths and in physics. I would describe D1 as painfully easy, its basically taking easy things like putting numbers in order and doing them like a computer would even though you could just do it in your head. S1 is slightly more complicated and, in my opinion, the most enjoyable. Depends what part of maths you like the most though.

If you're taking full a level maths and then as further next year, surely you'll have done all 3 of these applied units by the end anyway? If this is the case I'd do M1 now cos C1 and C2 are easy so you'll have more time to work on it.

Quick Reply

Latest