The Student Room Group

Extended project

I'm doing the extended project this year, although i'm quite curious, does the topic of it matter? i'm hoping to do politics in university therefore does this mean my essay has to be based on politics or does it not matter?
Reply 1
I would highly recommend doing it around the topic of your intended course, even if its loosely related to politics. You have to remember that the top universities do not really care about your EPQ grade or the fact that you did it, unless it demonstrates your interest in the subject which could be really useful to talk about at the interview stage. I managed to get an A* last year, but I made the mistake of doing it about something completely unrelated to engineering/maths and so it won't really help me.
Well I'm currently doing a completely different project to my course of choice. It does help a lot that it is similar to your course however it also shows that you are developing skills necessary for uni such as referencing and organisation. Some universities like it more than others (Southampton gives 2 offers where one is with an EPQ grade and a lowered grade for one of your subjects).

Quick Reply

Latest