The Student Room Group

Contraceptive Advice

I've been on the combined pill for three years, since I was 18.
Before going on the combined pill, I had regular but very heavy periods- the first few days were debilitating. The draw of the combined pill was the control- I could run two or three packs together and know when I was due to have a period- however periods were still heavy and debilitating but it would only be every two or three months.
I was advised to change packs three times- microgynon, femodene and then lizinna.
At first I had low moods and would get emotional for no reason, so I changed to femodene and then after a year, I had depression and an anxiety disorder and then after shortly changing to lizinna and copious amounts of behavioural therapy, the depression went but I had awful migraines- so bad that I collapsed, had nosebleeds and needed an ambulance!
Over the three years, I have put on three stone in weight too and am still trying to overcome anxiety. I was advised to stop the combined pill immediately due to a risk of stroke.
I stopped the combined pill on Thursday and so am in the break. I have a choice of going on the mini pill or stopping altogether and being natural and I only have a few days to decide. I just don't know if it's worth pumping my body with chemicals, which i am obviously sensitive too. I'm not suggesting that the combined pill was totally to blame for the symptoms I have had over the past year, but the doctor thinks they have played a significant part.
Yes, sounds like the pill is to blame. I would avoid ALL combined pills from now. Try the mini pill. If not implant. Then if that fails try meds from GP like tranexamic acid to reduce bleeds and mefenamic acid to reduce pain.

Quick Reply

Latest