The Student Room Group

Keele University Pharmacy 2015

Hello everyone? Who's going to study pharmacy? 😊 Have you got your accommodation sorted?
Original post by Ak2145
Hello everyone? Who's going to study pharmacy? 😊 Have you got your accommodation sorted?

Hi

I'm going into my 3rd year of pharmacy in October so if you have any questions about the course or the uni in general I am happy to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Daydreamer <3 xx
Hi

I'm going into my 3rd year of pharmacy in October so if you have any questions about the course or the uni in general I am happy to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thanks! I'm a bit worried about cooking haha! What did you cook in the first week? Also how much study time do you think I should have outside of lecture time, I really want to get a first...but I'm not sure if this would be too difficult?
Original post by Ak2145
Hi thanks! I'm a bit worried about cooking haha! What did you cook in the first week? Also how much study time do you think I should have outside of lecture time, I really want to get a first...but I'm not sure if this would be too difficult?

Ah cooking. That's the thing I most struggle with at uni haha I can barely cook a decent meal! Trust me if I survived you definitely can 😂 in my first week the first two days I had meals that my mum froze for me. The next day I attempted pasta (since then I've become an expert in pasta haha) and on the 4th day I gave up and ordered takeaway to my hall. Luckily, one of my neighbours was as bad as me and we often cooked together after that buying chicken, etc and working together to make sure we didn't poison ourselves. My other neighbours who could cook also gave tips now and again. You could also have oven chips, fish fingers, pizza, etc just throw it in and wait. Don't worry though you will eventually start cooking healthy-ish meals.

As your grade in first year doesn't count I've found that it's the best year to find out how you study best (in the library, in your room, alone, with study partners, etc) and how much time you need to go over what you've learnt in lectures. I personally wasn't great in first year I procrastinated a lot and often completed things as last minute as I could. Definitely don't follow my example! If you complete assignments on time and start revision early everything will be ok. Getting a first will require a lot of work but it is definitely doable.

Good luck

Samera
Second year pharmacy student at Keele :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Daydreamer <3 xx
Ah cooking. That's the thing I most struggle with at uni haha I can barely cook a decent meal! Trust me if I survived you definitely can 😂 in my first week the first two days I had meals that my mum froze for me. The next day I attempted pasta (since then I've become an expert in pasta haha) and on the 4th day I gave up and ordered takeaway to my hall. Luckily, one of my neighbours was as bad as me and we often cooked together after that buying chicken, etc and working together to make sure we didn't poison ourselves. My other neighbours who could cook also gave tips now and again. You could also have oven chips, fish fingers, pizza, etc just throw it in and wait. Don't worry though you will eventually start cooking healthy-ish meals.

As your grade in first year doesn't count I've found that it's the best year to find out how you study best (in the library, in your room, alone, with study partners, etc) and how much time you need to go over what you've learnt in lectures. I personally wasn't great in first year I procrastinated a lot and often completed things as last minute as I could. Definitely don't follow my example! If you complete assignments on time and start revision early everything will be ok. Getting a first will require a lot of work but it is definitely doable.

Good luck

Samera

Aw thanks so much! You're so helpful ☺️ Where do you get halal meat from is it close by? And are there any supermarkets close? Also what did you do on the first day you arrived?
Original post by Ak2145
Aw thanks so much! You're so helpful ☺️ Where do you get halal meat from is it close by? And are there any supermarkets close? Also what did you do on the first day you arrived?

No problem that's what I'm here for :smile: aw thanks :biggrin:

Apparently there are a couple of halal butchers in Stoke but the only one I've seen and go to is Pakfoods. It's really easy to get to you catch the number 3 bus on campus and get off just past Stoke Station then walk about 2 minutes to the shop. About 40 minutes travel. (You could also take a taxi if you have friends also going and split the fee)

There is a select and save on campus for any thing you need urgently but it's quite expensive there. The next closest is if you catch the number 3 and about 15 minutes away is the town of Newcastle-under-Lyme which has most of the main shops you need Lidl, Sainsbury's, morrisons, wilko's, boots, vue cinema, etc. If there's anything you can't find in newcastle you can take the 3 all the way to Hanely (about 50 mins from campus) and they have things like primark, Debenhams, etc.

That might sound confusing right now but don't worry you'll get the hang of the area really quick and will know the best places to shop depending on what you need.

Online shopping and delivery is also an option if you're busy. Most of the local big supermarkets deliver to halls.

On the first day I collected my keys and did a bit of paperwork before going to my block. Then my parents helped me to unload the car and take everything to my room and chosen cupboard in the kitchen. I had a temporary shared room in first year but my roommate had not arrived yet so I chose the bottom bunk for myself and left a note for her just introducing myself. Then my parents took me to get a meal neither of them knew the area so we went right past newcastle without knowing and drove all the way to Pakfoods where there is this halal takeaway restaurant opposite (their peri peri chicken is amazing!). We ate and my parents bought me some meat to cook with. When we got back my roommate had arrived and my parents decided to leave so I could make friends. I had met three of my neighbours on facebook beforehand so I met up with them and we all chatted and introduced ourselves to the students who arrived after us. A lot of my floor then went to the icebreaker party in the evening so with the neighbours that didn't go we ate together and got to know each other until very late! And that was my first day basically :biggrin: the next day we went to the the welcome festival and explored the campus :smile: I was friends with my whole corridor but I became really close friends with 4 of them and we were in the same building last year and this year :smile:

Wow sorry for the essay! Hope it helped though :smile:

Samera
Reply 6
That helped so much! Thank youuuu ☺️
You're welcome :smile:
Does anybody know if keele disadvantages those applicants with only Biology A-level to A2, as they do say that applicants only need to have chem or bio? I dropped chem at AS due to only achieveing a C , and hence was looking into unis which offer pharmacy with the biology a level instead ? Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending