The Student Room Group

Struggling with A level maths already

It's the 2nd week of year 12, and im already struggling with maths/further maths.

I just moved to another school, and at my new school, most of the students do additional maths igcse as well as normal maths. I came from a school where they just offered gcse maths, so I didn't do additional maths.

For further maths (FP1), the class is going too fast for me to understand anything, but all of my classmates are fine because they did igcse additional maths. In maths, since everyone did igcse additional maths, my teacher is not really going to teach the C1/C2 modules, which is bad for me, coz I havent learnt it yet.

What should I do? It's the 2nd week and im already struggling with trying to do C1 and C2 as fast as possible to understand FP1, without the support of my teachers.
Well done for recognising there is an issue so quickly. The sooner you address problems, the sooner you can solve them.

The school accepted you knowing your GCSEs - they should be supporting you more. You need to speak to either your form teacher, or head of year, or a maths teacher or head of maths...

THe alternative is to get a private tutor - but that would be expensive.
Original post by Haamoo7
It's the 2nd week of year 12, and im already struggling with maths/further maths.

I just moved to another school, and at my new school, most of the students do additional maths igcse as well as normal maths. I came from a school where they just offered gcse maths, so I didn't do additional maths.

For further maths (FP1), the class is going too fast for me to understand anything, but all of my classmates are fine because they did igcse additional maths. In maths, since everyone did igcse additional maths, my teacher is not really going to teach the C1/C2 modules, which is bad for me, coz I havent learnt it yet.

What should I do? It's the 2nd week and im already struggling with trying to do C1 and C2 as fast as possible to understand FP1, without the support of my teachers.

Have you tried speaking to your teachers or tutor about this? They may be able to offer additional support or advice, it may be a case of spending your time self teaching C1/C2 which is probably not ideal. Don't be afraid to post in the forums for specific topic help, I'm sure someone will be happy to explain things through :smile:
Original post by Haamoo7

As cheshiremum rightly says, tell your teachers you are struggling. It's not an uncommon challenge for students in your position joining schools where most students have already got a head start. As long as you have the aptitude for maths you will catch up but they should be supporting you better in these early stages and they might not spot you need extra help if you don't tell them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending