The Student Room Group

Do I apply for drama/acting degrees?

Acting is my dream, being on the stage is my dream. My family can't afford stage school and I'm not good enough to get a scholarship. So university is my only option to develop these skills and at best become an actress and back-up would be to teach drama. (Secondary level or above.)
Thing is my parents discourage it so much and feel it is a waste of money. So should I do something more financially securing and academic such as law? Which I also enjoy.

I just don't know what to do, more so how to go against my parents?

I am currently taking Psychology, Business and law A level. Do I have a chance of getting onto a drama or acting degree with this? I've looked at entry requirements and it looks like I can but has anyone else got in on a similer situation?

I am planning on applying for acting at university of Surrey (GSA) And Central school of speech and drama.
Then Drama at Exeter, Queen Marys and Royal Holloway.
Original post by Asymetricalwings
Acting is my dream, being on the stage is my dream. My family can't afford stage school and I'm not good enough to get a scholarship. So university is my only option to develop these skills and at best become an actress and back-up would be to teach drama. (Secondary level or above.)
Thing is my parents discourage it so much and feel it is a waste of money. So should I do something more financially securing and academic such as law? Which I also enjoy.

I just don't know what to do, more so how to go against my parents?

I am currently taking Psychology, Business and law A level. Do I have a chance of getting onto a drama or acting degree with this? I've looked at entry requirements and it looks like I can but has anyone else got in on a similer situation?

I am planning on applying for acting at university of Surrey (GSA) And Central school of speech and drama.
Then Drama at Exeter, Queen Marys and Royal Holloway.

Renowned theatre schools such as RADA and LAMDA don't cost any more than the universities you list and would be a far, far better route to becoming an actor. Why are you not considering them? How much stage experience do you have?
I'm afraid I'm with your parents. Acting is largely a waste of time, as it's not needed to get an acting job, and there are not many acting jobs.

Why not study law, and do some acting at university, take a show to Edinburgh Fringe etc. If you're really good maybe you can get an agent and some work etc.

But if that doesn't work out, you can still become a barrister and do some acting in the court!
Original post by ageshallnot
Renowned theatre schools such as RADA and LAMDA don't cost any more than the universities you list and would be a far, far better route to becoming an actor. Why are you not considering them? How much stage experience do you have?

I don'thave much stage experience, just some amateur performances. I've looked at them both and my worry is that my parents won't pay the application fee's. I don't have the money myself either.
Original post by chazwomaq
I'm afraid I'm with your parents. Acting is largely a waste of time, as it's not needed to get an acting job, and there are not many acting jobs.

Why not study law, and do some acting at university, take a show to Edinburgh Fringe etc. If you're really good maybe you can get an agent and some work etc.

But if that doesn't work out, you can still become a barrister and do some acting in the court!

Yeah. I was also thinking about that as possibility although I'll need a job at uni cause loans won't cover all my living cost and my parents have already said they won't support me. It just depends on how much time I have free. Bearing in mind I'm a bit of a perfectionist so will be aiming for a 1:1 at uni.
Reply 5
Hi

I wouldn't necessarily say that an Acting degree is a waste of time, however, if you are wanting to become a performer I would say that it would be preferable to study for your degree at an accredited drama school where you can get vocational training (I can see that you are considering a couple of school - Central School of Speech and drama and GSA). Whilst there are undoubtedly some actors who have never been to drama school I would suggest that it does make life more difficult at least when you are first starting out.

However, as I am sure you are aware acting is a very competitive career to want to go into and so I understand your parents concerns, especially if you are also considering a career in law. I think you need to really think about whether you want to go into law or whether this is just to please others.

You could try sitting down with your parents and asking them to possibly come to some open days at drama schools with you and also highlighting the fact that many graduate schemes only ask for a 2.1 degree and do not specify a subject and that acting does have a lot of transferable skills that you could sell. For example, for Law Training Contracts they take law and non-law graduates. So doing an acting degree doesn't necessarily mean all doors are closed.

Sorry for the slight rambling but I think there are quite a few things to think about. I wanted to apply to drama school when I was 18 but in the end decided to go down an academic route. I ended up getting a very good graduate job but have now decided a few years down the line that I still want to go to drama school and so am applying for MAs which are very expensive as I cant get a student loan. Personally I wish I had pursued acting earlier but that is just me and you may be completely different.

Quick Reply

Latest