The Student Room Group

Confused...Graduate Entry Requirements? Edinburgh University

For the last couple of years one of my top picks of uni courses was veterinary medicine. Unfortunately I failed (and dropped) chemistry at AS level and so thought I'd have to close the door on veterinary. However, I was on the university of Edinburgh's website and they offer a postgraduate entry veterinary medicine course! The entry requirements are "A 2:1 honours degree in a biological or animal science subject. Subjects studied and gained to a high standard include Biology/Zoology, Physics, Biochemistry, Organic and Inorganic Chemistry and Mathematics/Statistics. Genetics, Microbiology and Cellular Biology are also strongly recommended." Does this mean if I went to uni and did zoology or marine biology and achieved a 2:1, I could apply for this course or would I still need A level chemistry?

My predicted grades for my other subjects are Biology A, Geography A and English Lit B. Thanks for your help!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JGB98
For the last couple of years one of my top picks of uni courses was veterinary medicine. Unfortunately I failed (and dropped) chemistry at AS level and so thought I'd have to close the door on veterinary. However, I was on the university of Edinburgh's website and they offer a postgraduate entry veterinary medicine course! The entry requirements are "A 2:1 honours degree in a biological or animal science subject. Subjects studied and gained to a high standard include Biology/Zoology, Physics, Biochemistry, Organic and Inorganic Chemistry and Mathematics/Statistics. Genetics, Microbiology and Cellular Biology are also strongly recommended." Does this mean if I went to uni and did zoology or marine biology and achieved a 2:1, I could apply for this course or would I still need A level chemistry?

My predicted grades for my other subjects are Biology A, Geography A and English Lit B. Thanks for your help!

As far as I'm aware you just need the 2:1 in the degree to apply, but you must get a 2:1 and not only that but you have to get high grades in each module across the board to be considered.
When applying as a graduate you also have to consider funding a second degree. Student finance will not pay tuition fees for a second degree, therefore you would have to fund the £9000 a year yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
As far as I'm aware you just need the 2:1 in the degree to apply, but you must get a 2:1 and not only that but you have to get high grades in each module across the board to be considered.
When applying as a graduate you also have to consider funding a second degree. Student finance will not pay tuition fees for a second degree, therefore you would have to fund the £9000 a year yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

£30,000 a year even... It's Edinburgh we're talking about here :wink:
Original post by Nessie162

Forgot about Edinburgh and their ridiculous fees!! Yes, so even more expensive than where I'm at!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Nessie162

I didn't realise they can increase fees for certain courses! Any idea how much tuition fees alone are for veterinary med? I'm attending the open day in 2 weeks so I should be able to find out more then. Thanks
Original post by JGB98
I didn't realise they can increase fees for certain courses! Any idea how much tuition fees alone are for veterinary med? I'm attending the open day in 2 weeks so I should be able to find out more then. Thanks

For the normal veterinary medicine courses it's £9000 a year, assuming you are a UK but not Scottish student! Im going to the open day too so might see you there haha! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending