The Student Room Group

Actuarial Science at which Uni?

I have decided to do Actuarial Science as a Bsc degree at University and I am currently considering LSE, York (which first introduce the course in 2016) and Manchester. I was wondering what other Universities would be good options for this degree, or even better options? Also, what would be the the best options in a particular order, and please could you state reasons for this. Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey there!

I'm also applying for 2016 :smile:

I've decided to apply for LSE, City University, York and Southampton.
I personally would think that LSE is the best in terms of prestige but the teaching quality at City University in unparalleled due to their expert staff who are all trained actuaries and academics.

Typically LSE has been very good for applied sciences too however about half their staff have never been Actuaries in that department, but the teaching done for individual modules changes year by year so some intakes may luckily get better teachers.

I had no idea Manchester introduced it and will look in to it, however A*-A-A seems like an awfully high requirement for an untested new course.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by djibbo
I have decided to do Actuarial Science as a Bsc degree at University and I am currently considering LSE, York (which first introduce the course in 2016) and Manchester. I was wondering what other Universities would be good options for this degree, or even better options? Also, what would be the the best options in a particular order, and please could you state reasons for this. Thanks!

First of all, are you certain you want to do Actuarial Science? It is quite a niche area, i.e. having Actuarial Science as a degree means it may be harder to get a job as something different if you decide being an actuary isn't for you.

I'd recommend having a look at MORSE at Warwick (I think Southhampton offer it also), you can get 7 actuarial exam exemptions from picking the right modules, but you're also able to learn about other areas except actuarial science, and the degree title you get doesn't limit you to much.
Reply 3
I'll have a look at Southampton too! I recently found out about City so that could be a good option, and Manchester does seem too demanding to say it is a new course. Good luck to you too!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Dannygem
First of all, are you certain you want to do Actuarial Science? It is quite a niche area, i.e. having Actuarial Science as a degree means it may be harder to get a job as something different if you decide being an actuary isn't for you.

I'd recommend having a look at MORSE at Warwick (I think Southhampton offer it also), you can get 7 actuarial exam exemptions from picking the right modules, but you're also able to learn about other areas except actuarial science, and the degree title you get doesn't limit you to much.

The problem is, I don't do further maths. I do physics maths and business and find application the most interesting part of maths and thus think being an actuary would suit me well, if not I would go into investment or banking. A maths degree was my first choice but I would be limited to where I go just because of my a level choices and reluctance to pick up further maths as an As. I definitely want to go into a financial based career and an actuary seems like a great fit for me personally! Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: After more research I may think a Finance BSc is more suitable for myself as that is definitely the sector I would like to go into!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by djibbo
The problem is, I don't do further maths. I do physics maths and business and find application the most interesting part of maths and thus think being an actuary would suit me well, if not I would go into investment or banking. A maths degree was my first choice but I would be limited to where I go just because of my a level choices and reluctance to pick up further maths as an As. I definitely want to go into a financial based career and an actuary seems like a great fit for me personally! Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: After more research I may think a Finance BSc is more suitable for myself as that is definitely the sector I would like to go into!

If you want to go down the actuarial route, it would be better to do Maths or Economics or Actuarial Science, based on your alevels. Not saying Finance would not be applicable, but employers do demand and strongly prefer highly numerate degrees, ones which i've listed are quite popular amongst trainee actuaries. As one of the previous posters said MORSE is absolutely fantastic, but I doubt you can do that without further maths.
Reply 6
Original post by bijesh12
If you want to go down the actuarial route, it would be better to do Maths or Economics or Actuarial Science, based on your alevels. Not saying Finance would not be applicable, but employers do demand and strongly prefer highly numerate degrees, ones which i've listed are quite popular amongst trainee actuaries. As one of the previous posters said MORSE is absolutely fantastic, but I doubt you can do that without further maths.

I've changed to a Finance or Finance and Maths degree as I am not 100% certain on a specific career, but the most appealing is banking or investment. Actuarial science was an option just because of my lack of further maths experience.
Reply 7
My advice would be to look at the professional accreditation for the actuarial exams offered by each uni. York are unlikely to have many (if any) as they only introduce it for 2016 Leeds has had one for around 4 years now and they're only on I think 4 exemptions from professional exams but I know for a fact LSE UEA Herriot Watt and city all offer max accreditation. In my opinion Manchester has similar entry requirements to places with a much better AS degree like city or even higher than UEA without as strong links to industry like UEA has. I spent months looking into all this last year so I'm trying to remember as much as I can but I hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Latest