The Student Room Group

What to wear to a Cambridge interview??

Scroll to see replies

Something smart but need not be a suit. None of the girls on my interview day wore suits, a few of the boys did. I wore a black skirt with black tights, a white blouse and a semi-casual jacket.
Reply 21
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
I wore jeans and a jumper. They don't really care what you wear as long as it isn't offensive- I think they even specified somewhere that they didn't want people wearing suits and stuff. From what I remember of the interview days, most people dressed fairly casually, apart from the odd person. It's really up to you, but honestly no one will care what you wear unless it's extreme.

No. They advise people to wear what's comfortable. If they want to wear a suit that's absolutely fine - and some do. But it's really not a problem either way.

The official advice is:

"What should I wear?
You're not being assessed on your clothes or appearance so there's no need to dress formally, and it's not necessary to wear a suit. On the other hand, you might not want to look as though you're going to the gym or for a night out!The best rule to follow is to wear whatever you feel comfortable in and don't be put off by what other people choose to wear to their interview."

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/interviews/what-do-interviews-involve
Original post by PalindromeGirl
I'm only in year 12, so not applying yet but this has been puzzling me quite a bit. On Cambridge's website, and many other uni websites, it suggests coming to the interview in 'whatever is comfortable'. To me this isn't a suit, yet my parents say you should turn up to a uni interview in full suit, tie and the works...I'm female and the online tutorials show a girl in a dress I think? What have people worn to these interviews...will it have an effect on the actual offer??

at my interview last year i wore black jeans and a jumper and brown lace up boot things
it wasn't really that smart but it's a little smarter than what i normally wear
besides, it was freezing that day (since interviews are in december) plus my interview finished after it got dark so i needed to dress warm :^)
Original post by jneill
No. They advise people to wear what's comfortable. If they want to wear a suit that's absolutely fine - and some do. But it's really not a problem either way.

The official advice is:

"What should I wear?
You're not being assessed on your clothes or appearance so there's no need to dress formally, and it's not necessary to wear a suit. On the other hand, you might not want to look as though you're going to the gym or for a night out!The best rule to follow is to wear whatever you feel comfortable in and don't be put off by what other people choose to wear to their interview."

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/interviews/what-do-interviews-involve

Ooops, yes, that's what I meant- wear what's comfortable even if it's a suit. I just mean that they didn't want everyone to feel they had to dress super formally.
Please take a good coat! Cambridge has the nasty habit of always being one notch colder than you expect...
Reply 25
Original post by Good bloke
That you felt you needed to look smarter at the interview than you do after the success of your interview says nothing that supports the contention that my advice is wrong. It merely tells us that you didn't have the courage to be yourself and to not succumb to the same fears that the herd is needlessly prey to.

Yeah........ right. No, it means I wanted to look like I give a ****. Believe it or not, it can actually matter.

yet here is a classic example of voluntary yet needless adherence to a conformity that even the people interviewing them won't display.
All my interviewers wore at least smart casual. Even my supervisors usually wear something smart casual-ish, and most of them are PhD students that don't feel like giving much of a ****.

It is ironic that one of the tenets of teenagedom is being different and individual
Is it? Yeah well, you're not going to get in based on that. I'd recommend anyone with half a brain to play it safe rather than to hope that you wearing a t-shirt is going to be seen as some intellectual rebellion that makes you individual and different.
Reply 26
Three tortilla wraps to cover your modesty.
Reply 27
Original post by PalindromeGirl
I'm only in year 12, so not applying yet but this has been puzzling me quite a bit. On Cambridge's website, and many other uni websites, it suggests coming to the interview in 'whatever is comfortable'. To me this isn't a suit, yet my parents say you should turn up to a uni interview in full suit, tie and the works...I'm female and the online tutorials show a girl in a dress I think? What have people worn to these interviews...will it have an effect on the actual offer??

I wore a smart knee length dark blue dress and a black sweater. Of course don't go overboard, but I'd say it's definitely better to be overdressed than too casual. And it's probably not going to make much of a difference, but dressing smartly will give a good first impression.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending