The Student Room Group

Failed Uni now confused to options

Hi,
I passed my first year, failed 3 units in my 2nd year ended up retaking the 2nd year with these 3 units only, and now I've failed 1 unit out of the 3 for the 2nd time (including retakes).

Now my question is what options are there available to me now?
Can i continue with my degree?
Will i have to wait a year until i can continue to finish my degree?
Will i be able to continue my degree at the same uni?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
unless your uni allows you to continue with a failed course, which I doubt, you will not receive student finance funding for another two years, you are only eligible for one more years funding

I don't know if your uni will allow you to keep retaking the same modules, my feeling would be probably not and you're unlikely to be able to transfer given you have failed
Original post by LazyB
Hi,
I passed my first year, failed 3 units in my 2nd year ended up retaking the 2nd year with these 3 units only, and now I've failed 1 unit out of the 3 for the 2nd time (including retakes).

Now my question is what options are there available to me now?
Can i continue with my degree?
Will i have to wait a year until i can continue to finish my degree?
Will i be able to continue my degree at the same uni?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think the options you have would be to see if any other universities will consider accepting you onto a second year at their university (i've known 2 people who've failed year 2 at one uni and transferred to another for slightly different but its not the easiest thing to do).
I would speak to your current uni first as they're the only ones that can tell you if you can stay there or not, and then see where you can go from there.
As its now the start of terms for most unis you may have to apply for a second year entry at another university for next year rather than for this month.
Reply 3
Original post by doodle_333
unless your uni allows you to continue with a failed course, which I doubt, you will not receive student finance funding for another two years, you are only eligible for one more years funding

I don't know if your uni will allow you to keep retaking the same modules, my feeling would be probably not and you're unlikely to be able to transfer given you have failed

i understand the funding part will be left up to me, my thoughts were to find a part-time job and fund myself through the failed unit and complete the 2nd year and then have student finance fund me for the last year of my degree.

I am confused on the part of how i would go about doing that as the uni will most likely not allow me to continue to repeat the failed uni.

Would i be able to finish the unit elsewhere, and complete the remainder of my degree?
Original post by LazyB
i understand the funding part will be left up to me, my thoughts were to find a part-time job and fund myself through the failed unit and complete the 2nd year and then have student finance fund me for the last year of my degree.

I am confused on the part of how i would go about doing that as the uni will most likely not allow me to continue to repeat the failed uni.

Would i be able to finish the unit elsewhere, and complete the remainder of my degree?

I doubt you can resit the unit elsewhere, universities run their own courses so other places won't be running the same module and their own module will be the requirement

talk to someone at your uni and ask them whether you have any options left
From your last post, you could do that, or:

You could finish off your credits with the open university.

Alternatively, you can possibly do another degree with the Open University, you will have to fund yourself, you could pay monthly instalments while you work.

Good luck!
Why did you fail so many times? Perhaps the degree you're doing is not right for you, maybe try and switch to a different one which plays to your strengths better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wouldn't these questions be better answered by your course director/other relevant person? Sorry if that sounds unhelpful but a bunch of strangers on the Internet are unlikely to know what your university's policy is in this admittedly rare situation.
Reply 8
Original post by Hydeman
Wouldn't these questions be better answered by your course director/other relevant person? Sorry if that sounds unhelpful but a bunch of strangers on the Internet are unlikely to know what your university's policy is in this admittedly rare situation.

Just confused as to what to do currently, will be trying to arrange a meeting with the programme administrator and hopefully find answers.

Thanks for the input

Original post by CompSci89
From your last post, you could do that, or:

You could finish off your credits with the open university.

Alternatively, you can possibly do another degree with the Open University, you will have to fund yourself, you could pay monthly instalments while you work.

Good luck!

Possibility, not sure how the whole credits system works, as i have the credits from all my other units, i'm not sure how it works in terms of getting the required credits for the remainder of the 2nd year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending