The Student Room Group

Should I do a computer science BTEC or redo GCSEs to go for A-levels

My Secondary school only did Maths and English. I failed English and passed Maths with a 4. These were the 2022 exams.

Last year I did Maths, English and Science trilogy. I don't have the results yet, but I'm sure I failed English and got bad grades on Science. (my college said that if my grades were good enough, They'd let me do A-levels even with 4 GCSE's).

This was all because I was in a rough patch mentally and had zero motivation to study, It is still my fault though. I went to therapy and I'm now doing better, but now I'm in the midst of an academic disaster.

I want to get a good job in computer science, but even getting into a uni is an absolute pipe-dream to me. I know the industry does accept people without degrees, but I feel like there's caveat to that.

Honestly, I feel like I'm going to go wrong with either option. I worry a BTEC might make it difficult to get into a good uni and secure a good job, as former A-level students will obviously the better option. This makes me worry that I will not be able to move forward in my career after a certain point.

And redoing the GCSEs could also be a waste of time, put me further behind my peers and unis and jobs would be hard pressed to accept a student with an absolutely absurd amount of re-trys just for FOUR GCSEs.

I'm extremely ashamed of myself, but what is the better option?

Quick Reply

Latest