The Student Room Group

How is the BBC left-wing biased especially after how they've roasted Corbyn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dez
I don't know where you're dreaming the "for decades" part from, the BBC used to be incredibly right-wing, and it remains firmly pro-establishment even to this day. The more liberal leaning is definitely a recent phenomenon.

Some programs definitely lean left, but there are still plenty that remain right-wing. Overall the network is probably one of the least biased news sources around, especially compared to the newspapers. And when it comes to important coverage (e.g. elections) the BBC have generally been shown to be quite neutral.

Could they improve on that? Obviously their coverage is never going to be perfect. But I think calling the BBC biased when the Murdochopoly is still allowed free reign is rather ridiculous, personally.

You're telling me that the BBC was right-wing and pro-establishment when Thatcher was Prime Minister? Is that what you're seriously with a straight face telling me?
If anything the BBC has eased off recently.

Murdoch is a red herring. Private media organisations can be as left and right as they like. The BBC is not there to counter Murdoch. The BBC MUST be impartial irrelevant of all else.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Debatable but regardless, the BBC shouldn't be anything. It should be socially neutral and economically neutral. This is an organisation that claims such a degree of impartiality that it doesn't dare call ISIS by one of it's Arabic names because ISIS doesn't like the term and the BBC wouldn't want to offend ISIS. The BBC should take a similar standard of reporting when it comes to domestic politics.

Are you trying to imply the BBC supports ISIS? I can't even...

The BBC has a huge style guide famed and feared in the broadcast world which literally tells their newsreaders and other emissaries how to pronounce the name of every village in Britain. It is hardly evidence of radicalism, political bias, loony leftism or PC wrap up in bubble wrap ism that they should have arrived at a reasoned decision on what to call ISIS.

This is the British state broadcaster which has a responsibility not to undermine the diplomatic relations of the UK. It is certainly not its role to disseminate belligerent propaganda by deliberately calling ISIS, whom we are not after all at war with, a name which may not represent best practice.

Which is the name you would like them to call them and why?
Original post by scrotgrot
Are you trying to imply the BBC supports ISIS? I can't even...

The BBC has a huge style guide famed and feared in the broadcast world which literally tells their newsreaders and other emissaries how to pronounce the name of every village in Britain. It is hardly evidence of radicalism, political bias, loony leftism or PC wrap up in bubble wrap ism that they should have arrived at a reasoned decision on what to call ISIS.

This is the British state broadcaster which has a responsibility not to undermine the diplomatic relations of the UK. It is certainly not its role to disseminate belligerent propaganda by deliberately calling ISIS, whom we are not after all at war with, a name which may not represent best practice.

Which is the name you would like them to call them and why?

Way to MASSIVELY misrepresent what I said. My point was that the BBC, when it suits itself, in certain areas, decides to be the bastion of impartiality. It should apply those same standards across the board.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Way to MASSIVELY misrepresent what I said. My point was that the BBC, when it suits itself, in certain areas, decides to be the bastion of impartiality. It should apply those same standards across the board.

Oh ok fair enough though I think it is as impartial as can be expected domestically
Original post by scrotgrot
Oh ok fair enough though I think it is as impartial as can be expected domestically

I don't. I think the BBC has a lot of cultural biases. Some of these are political and others are not. Certain interests and aspects of national life are very extensively covered and other things may not appear on television from one year's end to the next.

When was the last time the BBC had a serious series on shooting or angling?

When was the last time it covered the Durham Miners' Gala as an event rather than a 30 soundbite from the keynote speaker?

Since it stopped televising racing (second most popular spectator sport) how much sports news coverage has it received?

When was the last television series on Jazz?

When was the last magic show on the BBC?

When was the last contemporary drama series set in the East Midlands?

Has the BBC ever done a "fly on the wall" about a uniformed youth organisation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending