The Student Room Group

Does excersize help weight loss?

I know this sounds like a stupid thing to ask, but I went to see a physiotherapist today and she told me that excersize won't have any effect on my weight loss and the only thing that will help me lose weight is my diet.... now obviously I know I need to alter my diet too, but surely excersize plays a part in weight loss? she made it sound like there is no point and now I feel slightly confused

any thoughts

Scroll to see replies

It does help, albeit not to the level most people expect.

You should be doing 150 minutes of moderate intensity (still able to talk) exercise a week for health benefits regardless of the impact it'll have on your total calorific expenditure anyway.

However its only likely to burn approximately 1k kcals which is paltry. Essentially, it's much harder to out train a calorific surplus than people think.

It's worth doing a fair proportion of that as resistence training though to limit the volume of muscle lost through dieting. This will not only make you look better but will also increase the amount of food you can eat. Higher volume of muscle = higher calorific expenditure to maintain the same weight.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lose weight = burn more calories than consumed.

You can either burn more calories and keep Calorie consumption the same or vice versa

Exercising i.e burning Calories + reducing Calorie intake is obviously the most effective.

I'm in process of loosing weight so I am eating less. However that can only do so much and it eventually came to the point I didn't loose any weight. To loose further weight I did cardio.

You also need a new physio

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Proxenus
You also need a new physio Posted from TSR Mobile

what makes you say this, do you think she is incompetent? when she was talking about ym injury she seemed to know what she was talking about
Reply 4
Excersize can help you get fit and feeling more comfortable in your own skin. Losing weight need more strictly daily routine.
Reply 5
Yes it does. You need to adjust your lifestyle to lose weight fast.

Altering your diet will also help

:wink:
Reply 6
what kind of a dumb-ass "professional" would say that?

OP the advice in this thread is good - most of it is just common sense i.e. exercise+ a new approach to what/how much you eat will get results.
(edited 8 years ago)
She probably said that because of the whole 'you can't out exercise a bad diet' thing. It's odd because you get people who lose weight by eating crap but exercising a lot and people who do the reverse. I know a girl who has lost 5 stone just changing her diet and not doing a bit of exercise at all but people who do exercise tend to look more toned and stuff
Reply 8
Thanks for all the advice, I'll probably ignore her..... Although she said I need to do some excersizes that she gave me twice a day to build up muscle strength and I need to limit the amount of excersize I try and do at the moment. I have Ischiogluteal bursitis?
Reply 9
Original post by Jenx301
what makes you say this, do you think she is incompetent? when she was talking about ym injury she seemed to know what she was talking about

Because your physio is telling you exercise won't help you lose weight.

Are you sure you heard her right? Can't imagine why anyone would say that to be honest.
Original post by jimjim111
It actually depends on what kind of exercise you want to do. If it's cardio (treadmill, running), it won't make much difference if you run less than 30 minutes since your fat starts to burn only after 30 minutes. And it's dreadfully hard to run for 30 minutes if you are a beginner. Another way is doing strength exercises (push-up, pull-up) which stimulates muscle growth. This is more for men.

So I think your doctor is right, the best way you can do to lose your weight is change your diet. Remember the rule: 80% diet, 20% activity.

About the 30 mins thing is bs. Do u even 8mins HIIT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It actually depends on what kind of exercise you want to do. If it's cardio (treadmill, running), it won't make much difference if you run less than 30 minutes since your fat starts to burn only after 30 minutes. And it's dreadfully hard to run for 30 minutes if you are a beginner. Another way is doing strength exercises (push-up, pull-up) which stimulates muscle growth. This is more for men.

So I think your doctor is right, the best way you can do to lose your weight is change your diet. Remember the rule: 80% diet, 20% activity.

Wuuuuuuutttttttt

No. Just no.
Original post by Proxenus
About the 30 mins thing is bs. Do u even 8mins HIIT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by 8 minutes of HIIT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't outrun a crap diet.
Original post by RollerBall

Posted from TSR Mobile

High intensity interval training.
Of course it helps, your physio sounds incompetent. Of course, if you exercise only 5 minutes a day and spend the rest eating junk food you're going to put on more weight. But exercise in itself burns calories and therefore aids weight loss.
Reply 16
To lose weight you need to eat less, cut out all junks and increase your exercise (you can start with basic cardio, 30-60 minutes a day, then maybe weight lifting if you want).
Consume more protein and healthy carbs so you don't end up starving yourself, it will also help with muscle growth. In your diet you can also include foods\drinks that increase your metabolism, such as green tea, whole grains etc, you can do some research on that.
If you struggle to eat clean everyday, have a 'cheat day' once a week, where you allow yourself to eat some junk, but don't binge on that!
Sounds like a strict diet but its really not :smile:
Original post by RollerBall

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used my hiit routine thrice a week - 8mins each

I saw noticeable difference after 1 session :biggrin:
Exercise is good but it won't help you lose weight, say doctors. The truth, they said, is that while physical activity is useful in reducing the risk of disease, it ‘does not promote weight loss’. That false perception, they claimed, ‘is rooted in the food industry’s public relations machine, which uses tactics chillingly similar to big tobacco companies denial, doubt and confusing the public’.

:indiff:

Quick Reply

Latest