The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm pretty sure if you cant pay they can't hold a room for you....though if you have difficulty in paying it i'm sure the universities are quite helpful etc...i think it has to be paid the same time you start filling in the university accommadation forms...so i guess anytime from now til sept...
Reply 2
You have to pay for it yourself which was a bit of an unexpected shock. It really put me in trouble when I found out about it, I had to pay a £600 deposit. I managed to pay and avoided a situation where I couldn't pay it, but I'd talk to residential services about any problems paying it as soon as possible. I had to pay my deposit by the end of July/early August which was long before I had any kind of student loan coming in.

The £600 paid my first months' rent (September) and my security deposit which I should get back at the end provided I don't burn my house down between now and the end of the semester.
Reply 3
I think I need to find some money to put aside before this creeps up on me... :s-smilie: :frown:
It'll probably say on the university's website how much the deposit'll be.

I'm quite lucky, my parents have agreed to pay my deposit with the understanding I pay them back when my loan does come through so they'll only be short on it for a couple of months. I'm even luckier if £600 is a normal deposite, Kingston only want £200.
Reply 5
If you're really having difficulty you could probably get and touch and explain, they'll probably accept it late if you can guarantee they'll get it.
Reply 6
as others have said it varies hugley by uni, i know Sheffields is £100 and thats payable in August once youve got your results and confirmed your place
Reply 7
:eek: £600!! That is a lot!! I had to pay £150!
Reply 8
At Loughborough, they asked for a £140 room bond - though soon to be £160 next year - which will be refunded as long as there is no damage to your room at the end of the year.
Reply 9
My friend had to pay £100 and didn't have any money, but he just got told to date the check for when the loan would come in.
Some uni's will wait till October to take the money out just incase of drop outs.
Reply 10
We only had to pay £100 and that was just a couple of weeks before we moved in so wasnt too bad :smile:
Reply 11
sheryl06
:eek: £600!! That is a lot!! I had to pay £150!

:ditto: That's exactly how much mine is going to be. £600 is extortinate. :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending