The Student Room Group

Would you support laws against people denouncing Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Errm42
Democracy is open to manipulation on a massive scale.

Whereas Islam is not being corrupted by ISIS?
Original post by Errm42
So you don't know what you want?

I'm having a difficult time trying to pin you down. You say that you know what you want and when I ask, how will you know you have it, you say "through trial and error" etc.

You either know what you want or you don't know what you want. Which one is it?

No. We know what we want. Freedom of religion. Secularism. Freedom of speech. Equal rights for gays. Equal rights for ethnic minorities. Just because we tweak the law now and again does not mean we have no clue.

Times change. Tell me, why does Islam contain no laws regarding driving cars, air travel, the internet or anything invented after 700 AD?

Did allah break his crystal ball?
Original post by Errm42
So, how the person got into power is more important to you than the actual substance that they derive from their powers.

You could have a benevolent dictatorship and a corrupt democracy, yet you'll still pick the corrupt democracy?

Benevolent dictatorships rarely work after the dictator dies. Look at Yugoslavia. Learn your history.
People should be free to criticise whatever they want and give their opinion on whatever they want. Protecting a faith from criticism is literally like when countries have press censorship so that nobody have be negative towards it and more people join in the beliefs (Nazi Germany, USSR, much of Italy from 1800-1900, France before the revolution)

I don't agree with islamaphobic press organisations or being racist or prejudice but you cannot protect one faith from criticism if you don't do it for all its ridiculous.
Reply 184
Original post by Good bloke
Whereas Islam is not being corrupted by ISIS?

What is up with you? Why do you have this constant need to deflect simply because you wish to not accept or at the very least, mitigate the flaws inherent in your desired system.
Original post by angelcake123
I cant quote but..
The fine line between criticism and negative speech is subjective

Yes religion is a choice but even so, why should we disrespect each others choices? Just because I grew up deciding to believe in Santa, that doesn't mean i should have been bombarded with insults about Santa. (Just an example, i acc never believed in santa lmao)

Many muslims would agree that their religion is sacred. Whilst many people would agree that a jacket is not sacred. Don't try to falsely equivocate the two.

Many people respect Islam, but many people also respect the luxury that we have with freedom of speech. Islam shouldn't be immune from that as no other religion, sex, or race is.
Original post by Errm43
You know what you want - So you tweak the system to get what you want, but a year later, you tweak the system again, and again, and again.

Do you know what you want? I think not...

I was making the point that sometimes, dogmatic adherence to the method (i.e: democracy) may not always present the vision of what you want.

Whereas a benevolent dictatorship may but you'd refuse it simply because it didn't come about in the "accepted manner"...

So what is your suggestion? Shariah?
(edited 8 years ago)
Im a god
Original post by Saint-Saens
No. And anyone intending to implement them should be hounded out of the country

Couldn't have put it any better myself!
Im muslim myself. It shouldn't really be criminalized or anything as everyone has a freedom of speech and the ability to voice their opinions. As long as someone is dedicated to the religion, it doesn't really matter what others say.
Original post by Errm43
As long as it has some kind of codified belief system and some kind of hierarchy in place to take reference from.

what ' hierarchy ' is there currently in place in islam (apart from a collection of self appointed leaders) Is mohammed back?
Original post by Errm43
What is up with you? Why do you have this constant need to deflect simply because you wish to not accept or at the very least, mitigate the flaws inherent in your desired system.

are you talking about him or you now?
There is no reason to make laws as such. Yes everyone is entitles to "freedom of Speech" but isn't there a certain line that you shouldn't cross. Im not going to ignore that they are certain individuals from every religion/ faith that are hysteric about their personal view upon their religion but not the entire population of that religion/ faith act the same as them.
As for the comic artists at Hebdo and other comic artists in general, their job is to create comic strips more often than usual with humour. However, how can they not expect that people would not feel hurt upon their drawings or people would not react. Now i'm not stating that thee way that they reacted was appropriate, of course not, peoples lives were lost but when you ignite a fire you can't expect that you won't receive a burn.
Why should these laws exist?
No, Mohammedanism should be banned and all the Mohammedans deported.
Original post by Sammodbr
There is no reason to make laws as such. Yes everyone is entitles to "freedom of Speech" but isn't there a certain line that you shouldn't cross. Im not going to ignore that they are certain individuals from every religion/ faith that are hysteric about their personal view upon their religion but not the entire population of that religion/ faith act the same as them.
As for the comic artists at Hebdo and other comic artists in general, their job is to create comic strips more often than usual with humour. However, how can they not expect that people would not feel hurt upon their drawings or people would not react. Now i'm not stating that thee way that they reacted was appropriate, of course not, peoples lives were lost but when you ignite a fire you can't expect that you won't receive a burn.

There is a line we shouldn't cross, yes, and that line is immediate national security or stupid crap like shouting "Fire!" in a crowded place, not individual insecurities. If you don't like the idea of people being able to say what they want, then maybe you should move countries to Saudi Arabia or some lovely dictatorship.

That is apologist nonsense. Charlie are allowed to make comics on anything they want, regardless of how crass it may be for others. Should we ban speech regarding support LGBT rights because some people like Kim Davis might be offended? I find Islam's stance on women's rights offensive, can I ask for speech regarding that to be silenced. What you are doing is victim blaming, and it's absolute rubbish. No one should react violently to the free speech of another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending