The Student Room Group

Go to university or not to go.

Hey guys,

I've been stuck on whether if I should go to university or not, I've left A-Levels for a "gap year", but I did not do anything within that gap year.

It's either go find a job (which I am doing now) or I should go study mathematics in a university however I didn't do further mathematics and I feel like that is going put me in a position where I am behind everybody else, assuming they did further maths. If I did go university I have two choices.. Go to "The Open University" Where you don't need grades and study at home, or go to a university such as Plymouth, Greenwich etc..

I am just clueless. What should I do :argh:?

P.S if no one understand what I wrote.. I'm sorry and feel free to ask for confirmation. (Because my English is quite bad)

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I don't know a lot about maths at uni but I imagine you would struggle without further maths, maybe you could sit FM a level privately then apply for maths at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by bubblegumcat
I don't know a lot about maths at uni but I imagine you would struggle without further maths, maybe you could sit FM a level privately then apply for maths at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should I try find a school around my area that can take me on, because I am pretty bad at self studying.. And I know that at uni you need that skill. If so should I pay to do FM course?
Original post by RayP
Hey guys,

I've been stuck on whether if I should go to university or not, I've left A-Levels for a "gap year", but I did not do anything within that gap year.

It's either go find a job (which I am doing now) or I should go study mathematics in a university however I didn't do further mathematics and I feel like that is going put me in a position where I am behind everybody else, assuming they did further maths. If I did go university I have two choices.. Go to "The Open University" Where you don't need grades and study at home, or go to a university such as Plymouth, Greenwich etc..

P.S if no one understand what I wrote.. I'm sorry and feel free to ask for confirmation. (Because my English is quite bad)

Thanks

I am in exactly the same position as you I'm just going to find work then become self employed might as well make money now anyway Degrees are only really for ppl who want to be teachers, doctors etc in all other jobs even when the ones who say we want a degree they still pick experience. All the great successful ppl (Richard Brandson etc.)don't say get a degree rather they say avoid it sucks the creativity & independence out of ppl rather go pay my bills & live with a housemate/alone than pander to student loans & discount.
Original post by RayP
Should I try find a school around my area that can take me on, because I am pretty bad at self studying.. And I know that at uni you need that skill. If so should I pay to do FM course?

Hi, my advice would be to take further maths if your university require it, otherwise you might be okay. However, I must say studying further maths will be very helpful especially if you want to do a maths degree, so I would advice doing it at a local college (if feasible) or to study it privately.
Reply 5
Original post by TheElvenQueen
I am in exactly the same position as you I'm just going to find work then become self employed might as well make money now anyway Degrees are only really for ppl who want to be teachers, doctors etc in all other jobs even when the ones who say we want a degree they still pick experience. All the great successful ppl (Richard Brandson etc.)don't say get a degree rather they say avoid it sucks the creativity & independence out of ppl rather go pay my bills & live with a housemate/alone than pander to student loans & discount.

Yeah.. That's what my mum said quite a few times, that most famous people didn't go university and are still successful, but I don't know whether if I'm going to be self employed near future..I honestly do love maths, but I'm scared that if I do it and somehow come to hate maths and drop out, I would have to pay a massive student loan.But good luck! Atleast you have a set plan :smile:
Original post by WarwickFan
Hi, my advice would be to take further maths if your university require it, otherwise you might be okay. However, I must say studying further maths will be very helpful especially if you want to do a maths degree, so I would advice doing it at a local college (if feasible) or to study it privately.

Is paying roughly 2K worth..? I'm just really paranoid that if I make a wrong decision, I'm paying a good amount of money that I technically don't have. But I have asked around and waiting for a reply on a FM organisation.
Original post by RayP
Yeah.. That's what my mum said quite a few times, that most famous people didn't go university and are still successful, but I don't know whether if I'm going to be self employed near future..I honestly do love maths, but I'm scared that if I do it and somehow come to hate maths and drop out, I would have to pay a massive student loan.But good luck! Atleast you have a set plan :smile:

Is paying roughly 2K worth..? I'm just really paranoid that if I make a wrong decision, I'm paying a good amount of money that I technically don't have. But I have asked around and waiting for a reply on a FM organisation.

I wouldn't personally pay 2K for further maths, I would only do it if my university ask for it as part of the entry requirements. I believe your universities don't ask for further maths, so I wouldn't do it. Don't worry about it, just go over your A-Level maths notes, hopefully that should suffice.
Reply 7
I wouldn't personally pay 2K for further maths, I would only do it if my university ask for it as part of the entry requirements. I believe your universities don't ask for further maths, so I wouldn't do it. Don't worry about it, just go over your A-Level maths notes, hopefully that should suffice.

Okay :smile: So if I get FM for free I should take the opportunity and then follow to go university? I'll try Greenwich, phone them up Monday to see if they have a offer still left..

Thank you very much :3
Original post by RayP
Okay :smile: So if I get FM for free I should take the opportunity and then follow to go university? I'll try Greenwich, phone them up Monday to see if they have a offer still left..

Thank you very much :3

Definitely, if it's free why not do it? It's not essential to have further maths in order to do maths at degree level.
Reply 9
Definitely, if it's free why not do it? It's not essential to have further maths in order to do maths at degree level.

Aaaah ok, I thought that it would be better off if you had it than if you didn't? If you understand what I mean. But do you do anything of the FM in a maths degree? (Only if you did maths in uni) xD..
I'm in a similar situation!(Ok not really similar)

I dunno whether to go to a average Uni now or wait another 2 years whilst doing a BTEC course which would probably get me into a russel group at least.

I would be 21 at the end of the Btec course ffs.
Original post by RayP
Aaaah ok, I thought that it would be better off if you had it than if you didn't? If you understand what I mean. But do you do anything of the FM in a maths degree? (Only if you did maths in uni) xD..

I mean it is better, because you do more maths in a lot more depth, plus you cover a few more extra topics, but it's nothing that can't be learnt during first year. I'm sure most universities will know that not all of their students studied further maths, so you need not to worry. I'm about to study maths at Warwick, so I haven't done maths yet :smile:
Reply 12
I mean it is better, because you do more maths in a lot more depth, plus you cover a few more extra topics, but it's nothing that can't be learnt during first year. I'm sure most universities will know that not all of their students studied further maths, so you need not to worry. I'm about to study maths at Warwick, so I haven't done maths yet :smile:

Ahh... I'm guessing you wouldn't know if each university does different topics I'm assuming? And also did you do further maths (just wondering)?
Reply 13
Original post by Evil Genius
I'm in a similar situation!(Ok not really similar)

I dunno whether to go to a average Uni now or wait another 2 years whilst doing a BTEC course which would probably get me into a russel group at least.

I would be 21 at the end of the Btec course ffs.

Life is hard eh...? At least you're keeping active. Whereas I just wasted a whole year xD...
Original post by RayP
Ahh... I'm guessing you wouldn't know if each university does different topics I'm assuming? And also did you do further maths (just wondering)?

I think some universities offer different modules than other universities, but I presume it should be similar. I needed further maths, so yes I have done FM, but not all universities require it.
Reply 15
I think some universities offer different modules than other universities, but I presume it should be similar. I needed further maths, so yes I have done FM, but not all universities require it.

Do you think university is worth going then? Still quite unsure to be honest >_<
Original post by RayP
Do you think university is worth going then? Still quite unsure to be honest >_<

Of course it is worth going for, especially with a degree like maths, it's highly valuable and well respected. So, by doing a maths degree you're job prospect will inevitably be better. But do definitely apply for maths.
Original post by RayP
Hey guys,

Thanks

first year at university is usually a recap of A level material not everyone is on the same page because of different boards and stuff. My friend does Maths at the University of Leeds and she didn't do further maths and she'd doing fine although she says it's hard. I'd say go for it you'll have the best years of your life as well.
Reply 18
Of course it is worth going for, especially with a degree like maths, it's highly valuable and well respected. So, by doing a maths degree you're job prospect will inevitably be better. But do definitely apply for maths.

Alright cheers! You've been helpful. Honestly I was stuck, but I think I might go for it, unless I change my mind.. like usual.. Thanks. Good luck!
Original post by RayP
Alright cheers! You've been helpful. Honestly I was stuck, but I think I might go for it, unless I change my mind.. like usual.. Thanks. Good luck!

Thanks, and good luck with you too, do maths it will be awesome :biggrin: all the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending