The Student Room Group

As maths urgent help please?!?!

Hey guys so I have a maths test coming up in a few weeks and my teacher set us a load of optional question booklets in order to prepare for the assessment. Now I've managed to go everything so far however I'm stuck on this question. Please could someone show me how to do this so I can learn from it. I would appreciate any help possible asap, Thank you in advance 😄

Question

If y = (1+root 5) over 2 prove that,

a). y^2 = 1 + y

b). 1/y = y - 1

Thanks !
Reply 1
a. = ( (1+√5)/2
= (1+2√5+5)/4
= (6+2√5)/4
= (3+√5)/2
= (2+1+√5)/2
= (2/2) + ( (1+√5)/2 )
= 1+y
Reply 2
Original post by NishatM
a. = ( (1+√5)/2
= (1+2√5+5)/4
= (6+2√5)/4
= (3+√5)/2
= (2+1+√5)/2
= (2/2) + ( (1+√5)/2 )
= 1+y

Thank you soon much it all makes sense !! :smile::colondollar:

Any ideas on part b ?

Very grateful for a) thanks
Original post by Aty100
Thank you soon much it all makes sense !! :smile::colondollar:

Any ideas on part b ?

Very grateful for a) thanks

If y = (1+ sqrt5)/2, then 1/y = 2/(1+sqrt5)

Then you have to rationalise the bottom
Reply 4
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
If y = (1+ sqrt5)/2, then 1/y = 2/(1+sqrt5)

Then you have to rationalise the bottom

Thanks
But I got 1/y = (2root5)/5 ?! 😳:s-smilie:
Original post by Aty100
Thanks

When you find the reciprocal of a number, you basically just flip it upside down. So if

y=(1+sqrt5)/2, then to find 1/y you just flip this fraction, hence

1/y = 2/(1+sqrt5)

Then you should know that to rationalise the bottom, you multiply top and bottom by the conjugate of the bottom (the same thing, but with the sign in the middle changed). In this case, the conjugate would be 1-sqrt5
Original post by Aty100
Thanks

This is the working for part b

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
When you find the reciprocal of a number, you basically just flip it upside down. So if

y=(1+sqrt5)/2, then to find 1/y you just flip this fraction, hence

1/y = 2/(1+sqrt5)

Then you should know that to rationalise the bottom, you multiply top and bottom by the conjugate of the bottom (the same thing, but with the sign in the middle changed). In this case, the conjugate would be 1-sqrt5

Okay I tried working it out :

2 * (1-sqrt5) =. 2-2sqrt5

(1+sqrt5) * (1-sqrt5) = -4

So I ended up getting
(2-2sqrt5)/-4

Argh ! I'm not understanding this but I'm glad your helping because the beginning makes sense
Reply 8
Original post by s_ahmed2
This is the working for part b

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks solo much ! I understand it now.
I'm so grateful for all of you who helped me
Thank you so much :smile:
People - have you read the maths forum rules? Full solutions are not helpful and shouldn't be posted - just give a hint.
Original post by Aty100
Okay I tried working it out :

2 * (1-sqrt5) =. 2-2sqrt5

(1+sqrt5) * (1-sqrt5) = -4

So I ended up getting
(2-2sqrt5)/-4

Argh ! I'm not understanding this but I'm glad your helping because the beginning makes sense

you're spot on so far! You can take a common factor of 2 out of the top and divide it, which leaves you with:

(1-sqrt5)/-2

Little tip here, is that you can divide the minus 1 into the top by changing all the signs on the top:

(1-sqrt5)/-2 = (sqrt5 - 1)/2

Now you need to use a little bit of imagination. We want to have y in our answer, and we know y=(1+sqrt5)/2, so we need that term. Think of a clever way to add 0 to our equation, that will give you the solution they want

Spoiler

Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
People - have you read the maths forum rules? Full solutions are not helpful and shouldn't be posted - just give a hint.

Sorry, I have understood their working out now I've learnt from that and have several other questions similar to those to work out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aty100
Sorry, I have understood there working out now I've learnt from that and have several other questions similar to those to work out.

It's not your fault OP :smile:
Reply 13
you're spot on so far! You can take a common factor of 2 out of the top and divide it, which leaves you with:

(1-sqrt5)/-2

Little tip here, is that you can divide the minus 1 into the top by changing all the signs on the top:

(1-sqrt5)/-2 = (sqrt5 - 1)/2

Now you need to use a little bit of imagination. We want to have y in our answer, and we know y=(1+sqrt5)/2, so we need that term. Think of a clever way to add 0 to our equation, that will give you the solution they want

Spoiler

Thank you soon much for this awesome explanation, you made it so simple to understand :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending