The Student Room Group

I won't get into University this year!

I'm currently studying Maths, English Language and Drama with the hope of going to York to study Writing, Directing and Performance. I've been to the open day and I am set.
However, I need AAB to get on the course. Last year I had BBE and the E was in Maths. I'm doing all of my subjects at A2 whilst resitting A/S Maths. I have a strong feeling that no matter how much I revise I won't get the B I need in Maths. I am having a tutor this year to help also.
It's only the first month and I don't know what is going on in Maths. I really want to go to University but I don't see the point in applying when I know that I probably won't get the results.
What do I do?
Nathan Rees
Original post by NathanRees
I'm currently studying Maths, English Language and Drama with the hope of going to York to study Writing, Directing and Performance. I've been to the open day and I am set.
However, I need AAB to get on the course. Last year I had BBE and the E was in Maths. I'm doing all of my subjects at A2 whilst resitting A/S Maths. I have a strong feeling that no matter how much I revise I won't get the B I need in Maths. I am having a tutor this year to help also.
It's only the first month and I don't know what is going on in Maths. I really want to go to University but I don't see the point in applying when I know that I probably won't get the results.
What do I do?
Nathan Rees

I had a similar experience to you, worked HARD at A2 and got A*A*AA, and took a gap year- now about to start at Durham. If I were you, I'd work really hard at your A2s, and apply as a gap year applicant. :smile:
Reply 2
There's nothing wrong with taking an extra year. Infact if you're not willing to take an extra year to get the grades you want then it just suggests you want to go to Uni or the sake of it, not for the course. I may have to do the same thing also, but it's far better than going to a place you will be unhappy at for 3-4 years when you could have just spent that extra year to secure your place!
Reply 3
Original post by alexp98
There's nothing wrong with taking an extra year. Infact if you're not willing to take an extra year to get the grades you want then it just suggests you want to go to Uni or the sake of it, not for the course. I may have to do the same thing also, but it's far better than going to a place you will be unhappy at for 3-4 years when you could have just spent that extra year to secure your place!
Thank you for the feedback. The thing is that I am desperate to go into University this year and I love the course I want to do. I won't apply for anything I don't want to do. I'm am unsure what to do if I have to take a gap year
Reply 4
Original post by Usernamer555
I had a similar experience to you, worked HARD at A2 and got A*A*AA, and took a gap year- now about to start at Durham. If I were you, I'd work really hard at your A2s, and apply as a gap year applicant. :smile:
Thanks for the feedback. I worked really hard last year. Everything was organised and I spent a considerable amount of time revising and still didn't get great grades. Maybe I am not built for education. I don't know. What will I do if I don't go to Uni?
Original post by NathanRees
What do I do?
Nathan Rees

If you're so desperate to go to uni this year, why not apply for other unis that have lower entry requirements?
(edited 8 years ago)
Consider a defered entry itll look great especially in relation to the course you want to do at uni.
There are several websites and groups thay will help you if you search online

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending