The Student Room Group

Need help choosing a Univerisity (Electronic Engineering BENg)

I am currently doing BTEC L3 Extended Diploma in Engineering and last year I did subsidiary, which I got a D* for which was sweet as I totally wasn't expecting it, but it's come to the time where I have to look for universities but the more I look, the more I realise that not many universities take a BTEC by itself for Electronic Engineering BEng, they want A Level Maths alongside it, I really hope someone can help me find a good uni, if possible, Russell Group but I doubt that.

Thanks in advance!
I did Electronics and Computing at university. There is a significant maths component to electronics and especially electrical engineering. A-level maths is not a hurdle to over come, more a step required in order to be able to follow first and then second year engineering mathematics. It is certainly not something to be taken likely. If you are able to find a course that plays down the maths element, you are likely to be short changed as everything from digital filters, EM fields, analogue electronics and power circuits has maths and physics at its centre. Sadly, electronics and electrical engineering isn't about sitting at a desk with a piece of circuit board and a pile of components, happily soldering away.

Good luck!
I think it would be better if you contacted your target universities directly and asking them if you meet their entry standards.I was on an Electronics course and knew someone who had used a BTEC Telecommunications qualification to gain entry to the course so it is possible, all you need to do is ask so you know what universities you can get into with your grades.

Quick Reply

Latest