The Student Room Group

Can you take a year out for mental health reasons

Hi, im currently on my training year studying abroad, it is my third academic year and I will go back to my home university to complete my degree next year. While for the past month I have adjusted to life in Sweden however this week i have begun developing severe paranoia which leads to anxiety leading to depression leading to severe homesickness. I have dealt with depression before. I have strongly considered asking my home uni If I can take a year out to recuperate and deal with my mental health, forget about the year abroad and resume my studies next year. Has anyone else been in this situation? Thanks
Reply 1
I haven't been in your situation. Though I can feel your utter sadness, still think you should think about it. As you said, you have dealt with depression before why not reminisce on how you've managed to overcome that. But if that makes you depressed still just try to make yourself busy. Do something exciting, something you haven't done before just to ease your mind from things.
Reply 2
I am in the exact same situation, albeit in Canada and in my second year. My parents died two years ago and I have developed depression since then, and i think i was kidding myself that i was ok but the added stressed of being abroad and the course being so much harder made me realise that i'm not. I'm currently leaning towards dropping out but I need to talk to my supervisor to make sure that I can do it.
For me at least it largely hinges on what I would fill my time doing, obviously therapy but we must fill our time with something constructive and I have these ideas:
- Therapy; beat depression, anxiety and mild paranoia
- charity work (even office based etc)
- get fit (i'm overweight and this would be an opportunity to get crazy obsessed with improving myself)
- a job (possibly, I don't like this option as at least for now it wouldn't give me any actual fulfilment, I'd have to do a boring job that didn't require any skill)

That's all i've got so far, if you can add anything i'd be really happy to hear your thoughts.
Original post by alexmarne
Hi, im currently on my training year studying abroad, it is my third academic year and I will go back to my home university to complete my degree next year. While for the past month I have adjusted to life in Sweden however this week i have begun developing severe paranoia which leads to anxiety leading to depression leading to severe homesickness. I have dealt with depression before. I have strongly considered asking my home uni If I can take a year out to recuperate and deal with my mental health, forget about the year abroad and resume my studies next year. Has anyone else been in this situation? Thanks

It would be possible. However you aren't eligible for student finance or benefits when you intercalate unless you provide student finance evidence of financial hardship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending