The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry to Veterinary Medicine 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm a boy who's in my final year of BSc Zoology; interview is on the 2nd
Original post by harrietariley
Yeah they're being great so far!
Ok so not very animal-y but definitely useful as a background! Mine was a BSc Zoology :smile: So not really very animal-y either, just quite a broad basis in physiology and mostly theoretical ecology and conservation topics.
How come you're doing VetMed as a second degree? :smile:

It didn't occur to to me to attempt it as a first degree because teachers had always told me I couldn't be a vet so I did science instead. When I was at uni I got really good grades though and asked RVC and they gave me a really positive response so here I am! I always wanted to work with animals and considered being a farmer (I know..) for a while but I think vetmed would be way more satisfying.
How about you?
Reply 22
Original post by Petlamby
It didn't occur to to me to attempt it as a first degree because teachers had always told me I couldn't be a vet so I did science instead. When I was at uni I got really good grades though and asked RVC and they gave me a really positive response so here I am! I always wanted to work with animals and considered being a farmer (I know..) for a while but I think vetmed would be way more satisfying.
How about you?

You know what, that's really similar to me! I basically got told that it was 'too competitive' for me and I wouldn't make it, in the end I probably would have got in after A level with my grades, but I had already started Zoology by that point. But I knew I wanted to work with animals and have a more physical aspect to my job, and VetMed just kept coming back as an option :smile:
Where is your top choice?
Reply 23
Original post by JPackter
I'm a boy who's in my final year of BSc Zoology; interview is on the 2nd

Nice! Where's your interview?
You know what, that's really similar to me! I basically got told that it was 'too competitive' for me and I wouldn't make it, in the end I probably would have got in after A level with my grades, but I had already started Zoology by that point. But I knew I wanted to work with animals and have a more physical aspect to my job, and VetMed just kept coming back as an option :smile:
Where is your top choice?

Yeah I think it's a really common theme among us grads, being told we can't. But we can!
RVC is absolutely my no.1 choice, they were so nice to me when I first enquired and I really love their attitude when it comes to students with unconventional backgrounds. Of course them being my first choice and my first interview is *really* not helping with the nerves.... You? Is this your first interview?
Reply 25
Yeah I think it's a really common theme among us grads, being told we can't. But we can!
RVC is absolutely my no.1 choice, they were so nice to me when I first enquired and I really love their attitude when it comes to students with unconventional backgrounds. Of course them being my first choice and my first interview is *really* not helping with the nerves.... You? Is this your first interview?

Yeah I can imagine! Yes RVC is definitely my top choice - like you say they've been lovely and helpful to me too and it being 4 years instead of 5 is a definite plus. Surrey is a close second, and they're my first interview on the 2nd December, then RVC on the 4th! I have Edinburgh in January but the fees are so expensive...
So exciting but nerve-wracking!
Yeah I can imagine! Yes RVC is definitely my top choice - like you say they've been lovely and helpful to me too and it being 4 years instead of 5 is a definite plus. Surrey is a close second, and they're my first interview on the 2nd December, then RVC on the 4th! I have Edinburgh in January but the fees are so expensive...
So exciting but nerve-wracking!

Good luck! Will hopefully see you in September 2016!
Reply 27
Good luck! Will hopefully see you in September 2016!

Yes, let's hope so! Good luck :smile:
Reply 28
I hope all your interviews went well! i'm a current accelerated student, it is possible!

your interviews were much earlier (well by a week and a bit) this year i was shocked to see you all on campus the other day.

For those still with interviews to come, prepare, prepare and... prepare! don't let it take away from your current degree as we all know too well how hard a final year BSc can be! but make sure you look up current affairs in the veterinary world, from the well know to the outright bizarre that fits into a particular interest of yours. learn about the university and the course and formulate questions based on that or show initiative by commenting on facilities/course aspects not mentioned in the tours/prospectuses where there is an opportunity to do so.

Lastly, relax! i had 3 interviews and got three offers, i knew i had my favourite offer before my last two interviews which relaxed me a lot even if i was still very nervous on the day, but being that tiny bit more relaxed helped me a lot.
Reply 29
Original post by hellos
I hope all your interviews went well! i'm a current accelerated student, it is possible!

your interviews were much earlier (well by a week and a bit) this year i was shocked to see you all on campus the other day.

For those still with interviews to come, prepare, prepare and... prepare! don't let it take away from your current degree as we all know too well how hard a final year BSc can be! but make sure you look up current affairs in the veterinary world, from the well know to the outright bizarre that fits into a particular interest of yours. learn about the university and the course and formulate questions based on that or show initiative by commenting on facilities/course aspects not mentioned in the tours/prospectuses where there is an opportunity to do so.

Lastly, relax! i had 3 interviews and got three offers, i knew i had my favourite offer before my last two interviews which relaxed me a lot even if i was still very nervous on the day, but being that tiny bit more relaxed helped me a lot.

I take it you're at RVC? :smile:
What was your first degree in?
How are you finding the course, particularly from the perspective of a graduate?
What did you do for housing? Did you go back into halls, would you have liked to have gone into a house if it was an option? Did other grads do the same?
How soon did you hear back after your interviews?

Sorry for all the questions haha! Well done on getting in :-)
Reply 30
I take it you're at RVC? :smile:
What was your first degree in?
How are you finding the course, particularly from the perspective of a graduate?
What did you do for housing? Did you go back into halls, would you have liked to have gone into a house if it was an option? Did other grads do the same?
How soon did you hear back after your interviews?

Sorry for all the questions haha! Well done on getting in :-)

yeah i am. I did animal science before. The course is extremely intense, as expected as we're putting 2 years into 1. My advice, keep all of your notes from what your currently studying, you'd be amazed at how much comes in handy. I went to halls as housing was too expensive, would have preferred a house. i live with 2 other grads and 3 undergrads but we're all vet students so its nice. a very long time, February if i remember right, and i was in the first batch to go out for accelerated interviews, and they continue to send offers for a while after, but they could have changed how they do it this year i wouldn't know.
Original post by hellos
yeah i am. I did animal science before. The course is extremely intense, as expected as we're putting 2 years into 1. My advice, keep all of your notes from what your currently studying, you'd be amazed at how much comes in handy. I went to halls as housing was too expensive, would have preferred a house. i live with 2 other grads and 3 undergrads but we're all vet students so its nice. a very long time, February if i remember right, and i was in the first batch to go out for accelerated interviews, and they continue to send offers for a while after, but they could have changed how they do it this year i wouldn't know.

Could I ask how do you compare your final animal science year to 1st year VetMed in terms of workload? I'm in 2nd year Biochem and we're doing A LOT, I can't imagine it getting any worse tbh, so I'm just wondering :tongue:
Original post by Nessie162
Could I ask how do you compare your final animal science year to 1st year VetMed in terms of workload? I'm in 2nd year Biochem and we're doing A LOT, I can't imagine it getting any worse tbh, so I'm just wondering :tongue:

Work load is a lot more doing a veterinary degree than an animal science/biovet science degree. I would say it's double what I had when I did my biovet degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by Nessie162

considering accelerated is two years in one, it's an extreme step up from 3rd year BSc in terms of workload. even so 5 year veterinary is still more of a work load.
Reply 34
Original post by hellos
considering accelerated is two years in one, it's an extreme step up from 3rd year BSc in terms of workload. even so 5 year veterinary is still more of a work load.

To be fair 3rd year of a BSc, assuming you have a dissertation, is as much or little work as you want to make it :tongue:
I think the fact that the type of work will be much more varied with practicals and different group work etc. it will be a lot of work but may not feel like a bad thing :smile:
Just speculating!
To be fair 3rd year of a BSc, assuming you have a dissertation, is as much or little work as you want to make it :tongue:
I think the fact that the type of work will be much more varied with practicals and different group work etc. it will be a lot of work but may not feel like a bad thing :smile:
Just speculating!

I'm just going to point out it is a massive change going from even a degree to vet school, it requires you doing notes after uni every night, reading round the subject and a hell of a lot of revision due to the fact it's 100% exam based. Just don't want people to get the idea that it's as easy as a normal degree because I can tell you now, it definitely isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Just speculating!

well put it this way my 3rd year was my hardest year! it's massive change, and you're constantly studying, there are no breaks, whilst fitting in placements and some form of a social life be it solely with vet students! It's hard, but so interesting, if you really do want to do veterinary it's so interesting but it is an extremely hard and intensive degree
Reply 37
Hey all!

I'm a graduate from South-East Asia applying to study VetMed in the UK. Nice to meet everyone! I received interview invites from Glasgow, Edinburgh and RVC (radio silence from Nottingham, oh well!) - my Glasgow interview is actually in 2 days and I have to admit, I'm a little bit unnerved by the idea. My last uni interview was 7 whole years ago! :s-smilie:

I don't remember much of my last year in my first degree but I didn't do much studying, which is probably why I ended up with lower second class honors, whoops. Reading about the VetMed course being intensive isn't anything new, per se, but I'm hoping I'll be able to adapt quickly to the constant studying I need to do. Haven't opened a book much this past year or so, though I have been browsing Merck's Manuals...
Reply 38
Original post by Lizziefickling
I'm just going to point out it is a massive change going from even a degree to vet school, it requires you doing notes after uni every night, reading round the subject and a hell of a lot of revision due to the fact it's 100% exam based. Just don't want people to get the idea that it's as easy as a normal degree because I can tell you now, it definitely isn't.

Yeah that's good advice :smile: I think it does depend somewhat on the vet school you go to though - each course has a different proportion of practicals to group work to lectures to lab work to placements etc. Not all are 100% exams either. For example Surrey has a very very different approach in that all anatomy and physiology is learnt in year 1 with the idea that vet graduates are 6 months ahead of other vet school graduates, and supposedly, have had time to develop better communication skills. RVC by comparison revisits each system or topic like anatomy or form and function every year developing it further and revising what was learnt before.
It all depends on what your natural leaning style is, how easily you retain information and whether you've researched and chosen the right style course for you :smile:
I don't think anyone can claim a BSc is 'easy' because some people work very very very hard, and whilst it's sensible to be prepared for a step up in work and be prepared for a full-on VetMed course, I think the very fact hundreds of graduates have coped before without dropping out shows it's clearly not unbearable or so bad it warrants complaints :smile:
I've been waiting 5 years to do this course and I just know I'm really excited :smile: Working hard at doing something you love and are truly interested in will always be better than working hard at something you don't have an interest in.
Reply 39
Original post by hellos
well put it this way my 3rd year was my hardest year! it's massive change, and you're constantly studying, there are no breaks, whilst fitting in placements and some form of a social life be it solely with vet students! It's hard, but so interesting, if you really do want to do veterinary it's so interesting but it is an extremely hard and intensive degree

Yeah sounds tough, but definitely interesting and rewarding!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending