The Student Room Group

Am I doing enough?

I'm a few weeks into my first year of A Levels, and I am really enjoying it. All the subjects I've chosen are subjects I really enjoy so there's no problem with doing the work; I'm just worried I'm not doing enough. Everyone has basically scared me into thinking this, because I'm constantly being reminded that "there's a huge jump from GCSE to A-Levels" but I don't feel like it's hit me yet. I'm doing fine with coping with the homework work load, but I'm not sure I'm doing enough of the extra reading, note-taking and revision prep; I feel like I could be doing more. The last month has been pretty hectic as I work Saturdays and have been doing NCS on Sundays, so I've not had as much time as I usually would (now that NCS is over, my Sundays are free), but realistically how much more should I be doing outside of class?

If it helps at all, I do Maths, Chem, Physics and History.
Reply 1
It'll hit you soon, don't worry :colone:

No, seriously, sounds like you're doing fine :redface:
Some teachers suggest doing the same amount of hours of independent study as you do in lessons, however I personally think it's all about finding the right balance for you :h:
Original post by vaishalir
I'm a few weeks into my first year of A Levels, and I am really enjoying it. All the subjects I've chosen are subjects I really enjoy so there's no problem with doing the work; I'm just worried I'm not doing enough. Everyone has basically scared me into thinking this, because I'm constantly being reminded that "there's a huge jump from GCSE to A-Levels" but I don't feel like it's hit me yet. I'm doing fine with coping with the homework work load, but I'm not sure I'm doing enough of the extra reading, note-taking and revision prep; I feel like I could be doing more. The last month has been pretty hectic as I work Saturdays and have been doing NCS on Sundays, so I've not had as much time as I usually would (now that NCS is over, my Sundays are free), but realistically how much more should I be doing outside of class?

If it helps at all, I do Maths, Chem, Physics and History.

My college suggested doing at least 3 hours outside of homework and class time but what I didn't know at AS is how to fill that effectively. Being in A2, I've learnt the art of reviewing my work a day then a week later, adding notes off the internet/revision guide into my work, generally keeping uber organised and watching youtube videos to consolidate what I'm learning. Add that with homework and essays etc. I find my time is pretty locked off and I'm really absorbing the information. You could also look at practice questions on the internet and/or past papers.
Reply 3
Thank you guys :smile: guess I'll just keep trying to stay on top of things and keep up with making revision resources!
It might not hit you at all so don't stress about expecting it. My friend and I didn't really experience a jump at all the whole year, and I haven't from AS to A2 either but maybe that is because I'm doing humanities. Just stay on top of your reading basically. If there is something, however tiny, that confuses you, make sure you sort that out ASAP. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest