The Student Room Group

Can a former teacher write my reference?

Hello people,

I'm currently in my second year of IB. Last year I had an amazing english literature teacher, but, unfortunately for us, this august she notified us that she was going to leave the school for a better job offer (thanks school).
My question was, can she write my reference or, since I'm applying through my school, does it have to be one of my current teachers?

Help
Original post by martaganger
Hello people,

I'm currently in my second year of IB. Last year I had an amazing english literature teacher, but, unfortunately for us, this august she notified us that she was going to leave the school for a better job offer (thanks school).
My question was, can she write my reference or, since I'm applying through my school, does it have to be one of my current teachers?

Help

It will be your current teachers, and it will be a composite job from them. To have a reference from a teacher not at your current school raises suspicions that your current school will not support your application, which is the last thing you want. She will quite likely have written her part of the reference before she left, as that is a normal requirement when staff leave a class mid-session.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It will be your current teachers, and it will be a composite job from them. To have a reference from a teacher not at your current school raises suspicions that your current school will not support your application, which is the last thing you want. She will quite likely have written her part of the reference before she left, as that is a normal requirement when staff leave a class mid-session.

Thank you so much!
Original post by Carnationlilyrose

(Sorry OP dont mean to hijack your thread but..) Can a former teacher write a reference for me when Im on a gap year (applying during my gap year)? Thanks.
Original post by Ben4
(Sorry OP dont mean to hijack your thread but..) Can a former teacher write a reference for me when Im on a gap year (applying during my gap year)? Thanks.

Yes, but they need to be able to comment on more than just their subject. Your college will usually provide one, and that'd be better than just a single person doing it.
You can ask her to write an independent reference. However, it's better to choose one of your current teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest