The Student Room Group

Applying to an American medical school from the UK? (2017 entry)

So I really want to do medicine, but I don't know about studying in the UK, but I don't have enough knowledge about studying in America. Would anyone be able to give me some insight into how I would go about going to an American university to study medicine?

GCSEs: Maths = A, History = A, ICT = A, Statistics = A, Art = B, Further science = A, Core science = B, Additional science = B, German = A, English language = B, English literature = A*, RS = A*.

I'm in Year 12 now, and I am taking Biology, Chemistry and German for ALevels.
Original post by MiracleLeaf
So I really want to do medicine, but I don't know about studying in the UK, but I don't have enough knowledge about studying in America. Would anyone be able to give me some insight into how I would go about going to an American university to study medicine?

GCSEs: Maths = A, History = A, ICT = A, Statistics = A, Art = B, Further science = A, Core science = B, Additional science = B, German = A, English language = B, English literature = A*, RS = A*.

I'm in Year 12 now, and I am taking Biology, Chemistry and German for ALevels.

You need to do an American undergrad degree first and hundreds of thousands of pounds to pay the tuition fees.
Reply 2
American universities only do postgraduate medicine, and it's stupidly expensive if it's not Harvard (they offer huge bursaries). As a general rule, American universities like very high achievement in extra-curriculars in addition to top grades, so I don't really think American unis are worth it for medicine if you don't already play for an olympic sports team or play 10 instruments, and have unlimited money.
Original post by not you
American universities only do postgraduate medicine, and it's stupidly expensive if it's not Harvard (they offer huge bursaries). As a general rule, American universities like very high achievement in extra-curriculars in addition to top grades, so I don't really think American unis are worth it for medicine if you don't already play for an olympic sports team or play 10 instruments, and have unlimited money.

Well that idea's a bust then haha, thanks anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending