The Student Room Group

How do I tell my parents that I'm no longer Christian?

Firstly, sorry if this post is in the wrong forum - but I didn't think it would quite suit the 'Faith and Spirituality' forum.

Basically, around February of this year, I realised that I was an atheist. It wasn't exactly a sudden decision - I knew I believed in evolution beforehand, amongst other things - but there was a point when I realised I was definitely no longer a Christian, with no doubt in my mind.

But my family are religious. Very religious. The evangelical church we go to is very, very small so we're all very involved, and me leaving would be a very notable thing; I couldn't slip away unnoticed. Additionally, I obviously rely on my parents a lot at the moment (I'm in year 13, aged 17), and I'll continue to rely on them at university (as my loan will be minute and not enough to live on). I have no idea what their reaction will be, so the potential consequences are terrifying, and my mum in particular can get very angry over very minor things; I'm genuinely scared of her at times, and particularly with this situation.

So back in February, I realised that I needed to keep this low-profile. I've told only two of my closest friends (and I only told the second friend in July), and everyone else I know presumes I'm religious, and I keep up the façade (even at school - as people from my church go to the same school).

I thought I could just about manage going until Autumn 2016, when I went to uni - I could then tell my family and my parents, perhaps while I was there, and hope for the best. Maybe the impact would be limited, as I wouldn't face people from church regularly.

But I feel like I can't wait for another year; church is driving me crazy. Today's sermon was about how society will crumble as gay people can get married (polygamy will apparently be the next big thing); how everything wrong in the world, from US gun massacres to the VW scandal is because the foundation of society, the Bible, has gone; how abortion is always wrong no matter what; how assisted suicide is wrong, and it is better to live in complete pain. For the entire duration of the service I wanted to stand up and tell people how I truly feel, but I couldn't. I had to play along. I had to be a good Christian.

Basically - what should I do? I don't feel like I can keep up the façade for an entire year, and telling them while at uni could still have bad consequences (I'm already being pressured to research churches near the unis I'm applying to). Yet telling them now could be a disaster; the church is a big part of our lives, and I know I'd have to face countless people lecturing me for a full year, plus I'm particularly concerned about how my mum would react.

To avoid major consequences, I'd have to wait until I could survive cutting off contact with my parents - so I'd have to go to church until after university. I'd have to date only Christian girls until after uni.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Firstly, sorry if this post is in the wrong forum - but I didn't think it would quite suit the 'Faith and Spirituality' forum.

Basically, around February of this year, I realised that I was an atheist. It wasn't exactly a sudden decision - I knew I believed in evolution beforehand, amongst other things - but there was a point when I realised I was definitely no longer a Christian, with no doubt in my mind.

But my family are religious. Very religious. The evangelical church we go to is very, very small so we're all very involved, and me leaving would be a very notable thing; I couldn't slip away unnoticed. Additionally, I obviously rely on my parents a lot at the moment (I'm in year 13, aged 17), and I'll continue to rely on them at university (as my loan will be minute and not enough to live on). I have no idea what their reaction will be, so the potential consequences are terrifying, and my mum in particular can get very angry over very minor things; I'm genuinely scared of her at times, and particularly with this situation.

So back in February, I realised that I needed to keep this low-profile. I've told only two of my closest friends (and I only told the second friend in July), and everyone else I know presumes I'm religious, and I keep up the façade (even at school - as people from my church go to the same school).

I thought I could just about manage going until Autumn 2016, when I went to uni - I could then tell my family and my parents, perhaps while I was there, and hope for the best. Maybe the impact would be limited, as I wouldn't face people from church regularly.

But I feel like I can't wait for another year; church is driving me crazy. Today's sermon was about how society will crumble as gay people can get married (polygamy will apparently be the next big thing); how everything wrong in the world, from US gun massacres to the VW scandal is because the foundation of society, the Bible, has gone; how abortion is always wrong no matter what; how assisted suicide is wrong, and it is better to live in complete pain. For the entire duration of the service I wanted to stand up and tell people how I truly feel, but I couldn't. I had to play along. I had to be a good Christian.

Basically - what should I do? I don't feel like I can keep up the façade for an entire year, and telling them while at uni could still have bad consequences (I'm already being pressured to research churches near the unis I'm applying to). Yet telling them now could be a disaster; the church is a big part of our lives, and I know I'd have to face countless people lecturing me for a full year, plus I'm particularly concerned about how my mum would react.

To avoid major consequences, I'd have to wait until I could survive cutting off contact with my parents - so I'd have to go to church until after university. I'd have to date only Christian girls until after uni.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Hey this is a tricky one. My mum sounds like yours in the sense she gets really angry over little things and I can't imagine what she would be like if I told her I wasn't a Christian but hey if you are really sure that you are atheist now I'd tell your dad if he is less likely to react as strongly but definitely don't leave it until you are at uni because that could end really badly. What made you stop being a Christian? if you don't mind me asking
Reply 2
Original post by Purpleunicorn197
Hey this is a tricky one. My mum sounds like yours in the sense she gets really angry over little things and I can't imagine what she would be like if I told her I wasn't a Christian but hey if you are really sure that you are atheist now I'd tell your dad if he is less likely to react as strongly but definitely don't leave it until you are at uni because that could end really badly. What made you stop being a Christian? if you don't mind me asking

I've just generally moved away from the religion. I've pretty much always had liberal views on issues such as gay marriage so I was never a particularly die-hard Christian, and after spending time researching (and spending a lot of time at school with very convinced athiests), I began to realise that that the Bible generally didn't make much sense to me, and ultimately that I didn't believe in God. I'd never thought the Bible was an infallible text - my views on evolution clashed with it amongst other things - so I went a few steps further.
Sounds incredibly tricky. My usual advice to people leaving the faith is to wait until they're at uni. May I ask, do you think you're in danger of being disowned, or losing financial support at uni, if you tell them once you're at uni? Living a lie for another year until you get to uni is very hard, granted, but at least if you can escape to uni and THEN tell them, they won't be in your face the whole time telling you you're going to hell or whatever?! :dontknow:

Good luck in deciding what to do and remember, you can't live a lie your whole life - it's better to be true to yourself. It's just all about timing and whether openly leaving the church would leave you in danger :eek:
Have you thought about telling them you want to try a more liberal church because you don't agree with some of the things your church teaches?
That way you can go there until uni and not be driven insane :smile:
I've just generally moved away from the religion. I've pretty much always had liberal views on issues such as gay marriage so I was never a particularly die-hard Christian, and after spending time researching (and spending a lot of time at school with very convinced athiests), I began to realise that that the Bible generally didn't make much sense to me, and ultimately that I didn't believe in God. I'd never thought the Bible was an infallible text - my views on evolution clashed with it amongst other things - so I went a few steps further.

Yeah I get you, In RE we basically spent a year questioning Christianity and some stuff I just didn't get as it clashed massively and especially since I am really science wired things stopped making sense but as soon as I started to stop getting stuff I would speak to my pastor or my parents who would clear it up a bit or have a read of the bible for myself and my faith is stronger than ever now but that's just me. But if you don't believe anymore than keeping up a façade won't get you very far
Reply 6
so I'd have to go to church until after university. I'd have to date only Christian girls until after uni.

Why is this? Your parents aren't going to be watching you at Uni.

There's your answer.

When you're at university, you can date whoever you like. Your parents don't have to know you're dating -- you can tell them you're studying so hard that you don't have time to be going out on dates with people. :lol:
Reply 8
Jesus loves you
Reply 9
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sounds incredibly tricky. My usual advice to people leaving the faith is to wait until they're at uni. May I ask, do you think you're in danger of being disowned, or losing financial support at uni, if you tell them once you're at uni? Living a lie for another year until you get to uni is very hard, granted, but at least if you can escape to uni and THEN tell them, they won't be in your face the whole time telling you you're going to hell or whatever?! :dontknow:

Good luck in deciding what to do and remember, you can't live a lie your whole life - it's better to be true to yourself. It's just all about timing and whether openly leaving the church would leave you in danger :eek:

I don't think that my parents would go as far as removing financial support - however, they're providing me with a lot (for which I'm extremely grateful)... and my mum's been known to make some sudden decisions. I do think it's unlikely, though, and I guess I could always get a job to make up some of it if necessary.

I'm beginning to think that waiting until I'm at university is the (relatively) better option; while I wouldn't be in danger as such from leaving the church right now, the strong family ties to the small group (my parents are good friends with the pastor - they contribute towards his salary quite significantly - and they basically set up each service) would have personal consequences and I definitely would have far too many talks along the lines of 'you're going to hell'.

I do appreciate the advice, thank you. I'll try and manage the last year without going completely insane at the blatant homophobia, sexism and more, and then break it to them at uni, though it may be difficult to find a way of doing so at that point. I don't think they'd appreciate a FaceTime call about it. :frown:
Original post by Hevachan
Have you thought about telling them you want to try a more liberal church because you don't agree with some of the things your church teaches?
That way you can go there until uni and not be driven insane :smile:

My family pretty much helped set up the new church (after the pastor and his family, along with us, moved away from a different one), so moving to a completely different church is unfortunately completely impossible. Even though pretty much everyone we knew stayed at the original church, my mum made a big point about how only this one specific pastor works for her, so until he goes somewhere else, we're staying. :frown: If there is an opportunity to have some input, I'll try and raise that point though - thanks for the advice. :smile:

I'm going to try and manage the last year, and stay angrily silent about the blatant homophobia, sexism and general (what I deem to be) ignorance, as hopefully it'll be easier to tell them when I'm at uni.
Original post by Tooly
Why is this? Your parents aren't going to be watching you at Uni.

True, but they'll have a good idea of what's going on in my life - while a minor detail, I have to be friends with my Dad on Facebook and share everything (and my Mum also uses that account), so my personal life will be pretty transparent. Additionally, they're quite... involved (my Mum already drops hints about wanting grandchildren eventually), so they'd be dying to meet anyone, so I couldn't hide their lack of belief for long.
Original post by Hydeman
There's your answer.

When you're at university, you can date whoever you like. Your parents don't have to know you're dating -- you can tell them you're studying so hard that you don't have time to be going out on dates with people. :lol:

Well, my parents are friends with me on Facebook, and follow me on Twitter, so my personal life is pretty transparent at the moment, and it will be then. They're also quite... involved (my mum regularly makes references to wanting grandchildren, and I'm 17), so if they did notice anything, they'd make a big deal about it, and want to meet them, etc. Essentially, for personal freedom, I'll have to tell them about my changes in belief. It's just a matter of when to do that; I'm leaning towards telling them when I'm at uni, as I won't get a 'you'll go to HELL' talk regularly, though I don't think they'd appreciate a FaceTime call on the matter when I'm a hundred miles away. :-/
Reply 13
True, but they'll have a good idea of what's going on in my life - while a minor detail, I have to be friends with my Dad on Facebook and share everything (and my Mum also uses that account), so my personal life will be pretty transparent. Additionally, they're quite... involved (my Mum already drops hints about wanting grandchildren eventually), so they'd be dying to meet anyone, so I couldn't hide their lack of belief for long.

Just don't post things on Facebook then? Maybe get Instagram, Snapchat, stuff that parents don't really know about/use. I've always seen Facebook as a pretty girly thing anyways, guys don't tend to post their lives on Facebook. If you insist on using Facebook, just change your privacy settings around a bit. Also surely they won't care if you have a non Christian girlfriend? As long as she makes you happy why should they be able to tell you not to be with her?
I don't think that my parents would go as far as removing financial support - however, they're providing me with a lot (for which I'm extremely grateful)... and my mum's been known to make some sudden decisions. I do think it's unlikely, though, and I guess I could always get a job to make up some of it if necessary.

I'm beginning to think that waiting until I'm at university is the (relatively) better option; while I wouldn't be in danger as such from leaving the church right now, the strong family ties to the small group (my parents are good friends with the pastor - they contribute towards his salary quite significantly - and they basically set up each service) would have personal consequences and I definitely would have far too many talks along the lines of 'you're going to hell'.

I do appreciate the advice, thank you. I'll try and manage the last year without going completely insane at the blatant homophobia, sexism and more, and then break it to them at uni, though it may be difficult to find a way of doing so at that point. I don't think they'd appreciate a FaceTime call about it. :frown:

Glad that you think it's unlikely that they would remove financial support or disown you. I appreciate it's a very hard prospect, thinking of continuing to live a lie until you leave home, but at least once you've left home they can't micro-manage you to the extent they do now. Plus, like I said, they'd be less in your face. Big hugs! :hugs:
Well, my parents are friends with me on Facebook, and follow me on Twitter, so my personal life is pretty transparent at the moment, and it will be then. They're also quite... involved (my mum regularly makes references to wanting grandchildren, and I'm 17), so if they did notice anything, they'd make a big deal about it, and want to meet them, etc. Essentially, for personal freedom, I'll have to tell them about my changes in belief. It's just a matter of when to do that; I'm leaning towards telling them when I'm at uni, as I won't get a 'you'll go to HELL' talk regularly, though I don't think they'd appreciate a FaceTime call on the matter when I'm a hundred miles away. :-/

You could stop using Facebook and Twitter or deactivate your accounts... :s-smilie: Or you could make new ones altogether. Do you have a nickname that's significantly different from the name on your current Facebook and Twitter accounts? That might stop them finding the new ones.

Telling them while at university is a terrible idea if you anticipate being financially (or otherwise) dependent on them afterward. You'd need to have a guarantee of a job straight out of university if you want to do that. Unless you can do that, then just stick it out until you've finished university and have a stable job before telling them.

Or you could, you know, not date... Not sure how open you are to that.
My family pretty much helped set up the new church (after the pastor and his family, along with us, moved away from a different one), so moving to a completely different church is unfortunately completely impossible. Even though pretty much everyone we knew stayed at the original church, my mum made a big point about how only this one specific pastor works for her, so until he goes somewhere else, we're staying. :frown: If there is an opportunity to have some input, I'll try and raise that point though - thanks for the advice. :smile:

I'm going to try and manage the last year, and stay angrily silent about the blatant homophobia, sexism and general (what I deem to be) ignorance, as hopefully it'll be easier to tell them when I'm at uni.

Oh that's really difficult :frown:
I think it's definitely worth holding on :smile: just have to do your best to block out the negative messages and think about walking on a sandy beach or something ^^ good luck
Reply 17
I was pretty similar to you (in terms of small community churches and stuff), but due to my country's culture the expression "very religious" doesn't really apply to the same extent as elsewhere.

I simply told my parents that I don't quite share their belief as such or to such an extent as them. My dad said it's up to me entirely and no one has the right to intervene and my mom, although surprised, shared this notion.

I would advise you to be direct in your approach. Living a life you don't like is hellish and you should do your absolute best to defend what YOU want.

Again, our parents nay obviously differ but if I were you I'd do the same as I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
I was pretty similar to you (in terms of small community churches and stuff), but due to my country's culture the expression "very religious" doesn't really apply to the same extent as elsewhere.

I simply told my parents that I don't quite share their belief as such or to such an extent as them. My dad said it's up to me entirely and no one has the right to intervene and my mom, although surprised, shared this notion.

I would advise you to be direct in your approach. Living a life you don't like is hellish and you should do your absolute best to defend what YOU want.

Again, our parents nay obviously differ but if I were you I'd do the same as I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! You're lucky that your parents were so supportive; I'm hoping mine will too, though I've never revealed something so significant before, so it's just extremely hard to tell. I will definitely be direct in my approach :smile:
Hey there,

I thought I would chime in to this conversation as I reckon I can relate relatively well to it. I used to go to church every weekend with my family (although my dad would make dinner/lunch at home) and up until the age of 15 used to believe in it all. As soon as I had doubts, it all fell into place and I came out as an atheist (yes I still think coming out as an atheist is a thing in this day and age).

Man, they used to pray for all the sick people in church, all the while knowing that I was applying to medical school and had my sights set on becoming a doctor it was crazy. Anywho, I broke the news to my mum on the way to church (probably not the best thing although looking back on it, it is very funny). Almost immediately she started to ask me, "what about the ten commandments, what about thou shall not kill," etc to which I replied, "Just because I don't believe in it, doesn't mean I'm going to steal things from shops or kill people now."

I mean the benefits of revealing yourself as an atheist at this age are that your parents think you're just going through a phase and so even though I'm 21, my parents still think that about me. They still help me financially; it sounds like your parents are more extreme than mine but I mean talk to your Dad, talk to your siblings. It is never as bad as you think it is.

Maybe try and get advise from friends at school, from your favourite teacher, school councillor or RE teacher (provided you don't go to a religious school haha). Trust me honesty IS the best policy really. Trust me, going through years of lying to them about it and wasting time at church and meetings and pretending to go to church at uni and pretending to date a christian - heck you can't lead a double-life, a true atheist life under a facade of christianity at some point it will unravel.

Message me if you want to chat more about it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending