The Student Room Group

FwB wants to stop being friends bc I'm jealous - what should I do?

So long story short, me and this guy started being FwB last Aug and at some point I became pretty attached and jealous when he even talked about other women (which in my defence, I think was a pretty normal reaction to the circumstances - we called each other petnames and had a thing that was overly intimate for fwb, I think) but we continued anyway.

This Aug he said (after me crying in a restaurant because he said to me I expect too much from a friendship) that it was a bad idea for us to have ever started having sex, but half an hour later we had sex anyway. However he made excuses not to see me after that (he said that he would probably come over on the following weekend but that we would just cuddle, no sex, in the end he didn't come over at all).

In Sept, without explanation, he started behaving as more than a friend again.

The other day he mentioned how a girl he talks to says she gets horny after her period and I was like, you talk to other girls about sex? and he was like yeah, do you have a problem with that? and I said to him that I don't want to be one of a whole bunch of girls he talks to about sex, and he was like, can we still be friends after getting married to other people? And I said no. I wouldn't want to stay friends because I would be jealous! I know I don't have any claim to him but it's still how I'd feel. He said that if I'm going to be jealous, we should just be friends. After we talked some more he said that we shouldnt continue being friends if I think we shouldn't continue to be friends if he dates someone, because he doesn't want 'to be forbidden from this right'.

A couple of days afterwards I asked him if he's dating someone and he wouldn't tell me, and he said that he likes me and wants to be friends but sex ruined our friendship, so we shouldn't have sex again and we should be able to date or get married to other people without either of us being hurt, and if that's not possible it's not possible for us to be friends. I didn't want to say 'guess we're not friends then' and I was in a stupid mood so I asked him why we aren't dating, which from stuff he said before I thought was because he isn't in love with me, but idk, because if he is dating someone else I doubt he's in love with her - if he was, why would he say he misses sex with me and talk about how I look cute when I'm asleep and stuff? He'd be focused on her, surely.

Is there any way I can fix this situation and will he ever want me? I used to get the impression that he thought about having a relationship with me but had very mixed feelings about it (and I pushed him further towards 'no' by being clingy, crying etc). I also have mixed feelings about having a serious relationship with him but I feel like I love him (?) and don't want him to be with someone else (yes, I know I'm selfish).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry for the huge essay
Reply 2
You need help , it's pretty clear he is just a guy that wants sex from you and he made it clear to you. You know the truth already so grow up.
Reply 3
Original post by Mancini
You need help , it's pretty clear he is just a guy that wants sex from you and he made it clear to you. You know the truth already so grow up.

We are friends as well though. He tells me about his private problems. But maybe that's just using too? Idk. :/
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
We are friends as well though. He tells me about his private problems. But maybe that's just using too? Idk. :/

You know the truth but live in denial enjoy the ride.
You got into it knowing it was casual and he wanted nothing more. I'm sorry but you got yourself into this and you need to move on. All you're doing is digging a hole for yourself, the longer you keep this going the harder it'll be to climb out.

In future don't enter into something or stay in something if you can't deal with the terms.
Reply 6
Fwb should never last longer than a month or two, any longer than that and it is just a relationship.

You're both a bit in the wrong here: you got attached and he kept it going too long when that became obvious.

Best thing for both of you is time off from everything, even the friendship. If you both miss each other and come back to being friends later, then fine, but in the short-term that's not going to happen.
Part of me isn't entirely sure why you're even bothering to ask for advice since it seems relatively straight forward and you've probably had similar advice from others/friends before but chosen to ignore them.

The simple facts are:
- you want a proper exclusive relationship with him
- he does not want a proper exclusive relationship with you
- he's happy to have sex with you/use you emotionally and have you as his safe option until he finds someone better/he likes more

He's been upfront and open with you about the status of you so I'm not really sure you can fault him even if he is being unfair to you.

Tell him you want a fully committed exclusive relationship with him. If he doesn't want that, then there's no need to be friends either. If he makes an excuse or says he still wants to try and be friends, tell him it's just going to emotionally hold you back from meeting someone else who might want a proper relationship with you so you're not interest.

It will be hard at first but you're better to end it on your terms so you get an emotionally clean break from him.

If you take the easy option to carry on, he will eventually find someone else he likes/wants a relationship with and dump you immediately and unceremoniously and then you'll be emotionally scarred and it will take you even longer to get over him. He'll probably come back to you each time he breaks up with his new girlfriend(s) but he won't give you what you really want from him.

About him dating someone else? Frankly he's probably got the same FWB situation with some other girl so he's not technically dating someone but equally doesn't want you to make him feel guilty about sleeping with another girl.
Reply 8
Part of me isn't entirely sure why you're even bothering to ask for advice since it seems relatively straight forward and you've probably had similar advice from others/friends before but chosen to ignore them.

The simple facts are:
- you want a proper exclusive relationship with him
- he does not want a proper exclusive relationship with you
- he's happy to have sex with you/use you emotionally and have you as his safe option until he finds someone better/he likes more

He's been upfront and open with you about the status of you so I'm not really sure you can fault him even if he is being unfair to you.

Tell him you want a fully committed exclusive relationship with him. If he doesn't want that, then there's no need to be friends either. If he makes an excuse or says he still wants to try and be friends, tell him it's just going to emotionally hold you back from meeting someone else who might want a proper relationship with you so you're not interest.

It will be hard at first but you're better to end it on your terms so you get an emotionally clean break from him.

If you take the easy option to carry on, he will eventually find someone else he likes/wants a relationship with and dump you immediately and unceremoniously and then you'll be emotionally scarred and it will take you even longer to get over him. He'll probably come back to you each time he breaks up with his new girlfriend(s) but he won't give you what you really want from him.

About him dating someone else? Frankly he's probably got the same FWB situation with some other girl so he's not technically dating someone but equally doesn't want you to make him feel guilty about sleeping with another girl.

I think your assessment of the situation is pretty good, though I don't think he's had sex with another girl while we've been involved (and he's made his lack of physical sexual activity with others explicit several times) but I'm sure he flirts with others, which he might regard as dating (neither of us seem sure about what dating is).

I'd like to end it on my terms, but it was after I said to him that we can't be friends if he gets with someone else that he proposed we stop being friends because he doesn't want to be 'forbidden' from dating others/doesn't want to hurt me (which I think = doesn't want to feel guilty). I feel like he doesn't want to he friend-dumped so he's trying to make out that it's his idea. If I say let's stop being friends he'll think it's what he wanted, even though it's obviously not... Idk. I'd feel disempowered.
I think your assessment of the situation is pretty good, though I don't think he's had sex with another girl while we've been involved (and he's made his lack of physical sexual activity with others explicit several times) but I'm sure he flirts with others, which he might regard as dating (neither of us seem sure about what dating is).

I'd like to end it on my terms, but it was after I said to him that we can't be friends if he gets with someone else that he proposed we stop being friends because he doesn't want to be 'forbidden' from dating others/doesn't want to hurt me (which I think = doesn't want to feel guilty). I feel like he doesn't want to he friend-dumped so he's trying to make out that it's his idea. If I say let's stop being friends he'll think it's what he wanted, even though it's obviously not... Idk. I'd feel disempowered.

Maybe he's not had sex with someone else but the fact remains that he wants/is willing to have sex with other people otherwise he wouldn't be flirting with other girls and would be in an exclusive relationship with you. Surely that desire on his part that's hurtful enough?

Well I'd only say "let's not be friends anymore" as part of the ultimatum to him of relationship or nothing if you wanted to have that conversation. It might be the 'ripping a plaster off for short but sharp pain' that you need to start the process of getting over him.

If on the other hand you don't want to ask him about a relationship (since he seems to have made it clear enough) then you just need to have your own eureka moment when you truly accept you want to move on. All well and good other people telling you to move on but it's worth nothing if you don't want it for yourself.

If you do have that moment, then just don't get in contact with him and don't reply or block/delete if you need to. He'll either get the hint or he'll suddenly make extra effort to get your attention and then you can tell him to **** off on your own terms.

I'm sure he's a half decent guy but you should remind yourself that after over a year of intimate relationshipy stuff, he still never mentally accepted you as his girlfriend.
Maybe he's not had sex with someone else but the fact remains that he wants/is willing to have sex with other people otherwise he wouldn't be flirting with other girls and would be in an exclusive relationship with you. Surely that desire on his part that's hurtful enough?

Well I'd only say "let's not be friends anymore" as part of the ultimatum to him of relationship or nothing if you wanted to have that conversation. It might be the 'ripping a plaster off for short but sharp pain' that you need to start the process of getting over him.

If on the other hand you don't want to ask him about a relationship (since he seems to have made it clear enough) then you just need to have your own eureka moment when you truly accept you want to move on. All well and good other people telling you to move on but it's worth nothing if you don't want it for yourself.

If you do have that moment, then just don't get in contact with him and don't reply or block/delete if you need to. He'll either get the hint or he'll suddenly make extra effort to get your attention and then you can tell him to **** off on your own terms.

I'm sure he's a half decent guy but you should remind yourself that after over a year of intimate relationshipy stuff, he still never mentally accepted you as his girlfriend.

I think maybe I do need to make it explicit to him that I don't want to be the girl he keeps around as an option for if he doesn't find someone better, or has a breakup, or wants to cheat (I remember him saying something about how if he got a wife he'd cheat on her with me, and he said it in a jokey way but I think it's something he'd do tbh). I mean, I provide him with friendshippy support but I don't think that's why he'd want to stay friends if he got married, he could get that from his wife?

I'm also sad because in the convo where I asked why he doesn't date me I was like 'I'm offended if you had sex with me w.o being attracted to me' and
he didn't say anything, so I was like 'you had sex with me w.o being attracted to me' to which he responded by asking 'why are you saying this?'. I explained and he was like, I remember that I told you earlier how I think of your body?? (he'd sent me a sext relating to my body being nice)... But that's still not 'I am/was attracted to you'. Maybe he wouldn't say that because he was angry or something though. I remember not long after we met him asking if he could take my photo, and I asked why and he said because I'm beautiful. And I remember him calling me sexy last month. But idk if that was all lies. I don't want to end it before I know The Truth tbh
Sounds like he wanted sex and basically enjoyed having someone to be a girlfriend without the commitment?
I think maybe I do need to make it explicit to him that I don't want to be the girl he keeps around as an option for if he doesn't find someone better, or has a breakup, or wants to cheat (I remember him saying something about how if he got a wife he'd cheat on her with me, and he said it in a jokey way but I think it's something he'd do tbh). I mean, I provide him with friendshippy support but I don't think that's why he'd want to stay friends if he got married, he could get that from his wife?

I'm also sad because in the convo where I asked why he doesn't date me I was like 'I'm offended if you had sex with me w.o being attracted to me' and
he didn't say anything, so I was like 'you had sex with me w.o being attracted to me' to which he responded by asking 'why are you saying this?'. I explained and he was like, I remember that I told you earlier how I think of your body?? (he'd sent me a sext relating to my body being nice)... But that's still not 'I am/was attracted to you'. Maybe he wouldn't say that because he was angry or something though. I remember not long after we met him asking if he could take my photo, and I asked why and he said because I'm beautiful. And I remember him calling me sexy last month. But idk if that was all lies. I don't want to end it before I know The Truth tbh

In relation to the first paragraph, the alarm bell should be not the cheating on his wife part but the fact that he already sees you as being a bit on the side and not a potential future wife. Surely it's obvious that you need someone who treats/thinks of you better?

Well he's probably not entirely lying. He obviously finds you attractive enough to have sex with you but that's not the same thing as being in a relationship.

The truth most likely is:
- he likes having you as emotional support 24/7 whenever he wants it to his convenience
- he thinks he can do better than you
- he thinks you're attractive enough to have sex with for now so long as there's no commitment stopping him from finding someone else
- he can be a nice guy when he wants to be
- he's too much of a wimp to say anything rude to your face since it would ruin any future chances of sex

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Sounds like he wanted sex and basically enjoyed having someone to be a girlfriend without the commitment?

One time I shared a bed with him for like four nights in a row (we'd planned longer but that wasn't possible) and we went out together, holding hands and snuggling in public. A couple of days later I remember him talking to me about the two of us as if we were a couple. When I mentioned him acting boyfriend-y later he denied it
In relation to the first paragraph, the alarm bell should be not the cheating on his wife part but the fact that he already sees you as being a bit on the side and not a potential future wife. Surely it's obvious that you need someone who treats/thinks of you better?

Well he's probably not entirely lying. He obviously finds you attractive enough to have sex with you but that's not the same thing as being in a relationship.

- he likes having you as emotional support 24/7 whenever he wants it to his convenience
- he thinks you're attractive enough to have sex with for now so long as there's no commitment stopping him from finding someone else
- he's too much of a wimp to say anything rude to your face since it would ruin any future chances of sex

I'm 20

I definitely used to feel like he thought of me as a potential wife based on stuff he said (even tho we were FwB... was v weird) but that stopped, which I think was probably due to me behaving in an unattractive way (read: clingy) considering my looks have remained fairly constant over the past year. That or he decided to stop leading me on... surely you'd date someone you had thoughts of marrying
I'm 20

More than young enough to move on. People aren't perfect (that covers both him and you). When you've finally been able to move on, you'll grow from the experience even if it feels **** now.

I definitely used to feel like he thought of me as a potential wife based on stuff he said (even tho we were FwB... was v weird) but that stopped, which I think was probably due to me behaving in an unattractive way (read: clingy) considering my looks have remained fairly constant over the past year. That or he decided to stop leading me on... surely you'd date someone you had thoughts of marrying

Well the worst thing you can do is blame yourself and think if you had behaved differently then he'd be in a proper relationship with you now. He wouldn't - he didn't want a relationship at the start with you and he still doesn't.

Maybe I sounds harsh and maybe you'll ignore the advice but it's the only way to get out of the situation.

He obviously has in his head what he wants in a relationship or who he wants to be in a relationship with. Probably explains why he's sometimes been relationshipy with you (even if he denies it).

But that's the point - he wasn't dating you. He agreed and clearly told you that he only wants to have sex with you and no commitment or relationship.

If you're going to continue thinking that he's going to change and want to be in a proper relationship with you or that he really cares about you and that what you had together was obviously something more special than FWB then you're going to be in your situation for a long time and it's going to hurt.
'He obviously has in his head what he wants in a relationship or who he wants to be in a relationship with. Probably explains why he's sometimes been relationshipy with you (even if he denies it).'

I don't understand the second part?
It's pretty natural to develop feelings for a FWB's but just because you have feelings it doesn't mean he has to return them or feel the same way about you. An emotion on your part is not an obligation on his and by the sounds of things he's been pretty honest with you on how he feels.

Jealousy is usually rooted in another emotion like the fear of losing something you think belongs to you - he doesn't belong to you.

If I was in your situation I would just stop this right now to be honest, before you get even more hurt. I don't know why you would want to be with someone who clearly doesn't want to be with you?. It's going to hurt anyways as you've clearly developed a lot of feelings for this person but it wont hurt as much as it will if you keep hanging onto him.
There's always one who has to catch the feelings during FwB

Sadly, the net of those feelings is you OP.

Latest

Trending

Trending