The Student Room Group

Am I Clingy?

so my bf has depression and recently just randomly stopped replying to my texts on Sunday night.

last night he said he was fine. I was like ok and then he goes "what the **** is your problem?" So I said nothing, what's wrong with you and he kept arguing saying something is.

then this is his text:Well obviously there is. I didnt ****ing have wifi. Just because i dont answer doesnt mean im ****ing dead
this was a week after he told me he wants to die.

I asked him why he's so angry with me to which he replies "because you're ****ing clingy"

I asked if there was anything else he wants to say and he told me to "please just leave me alone". So I said bye to him and haven't spoken since.

am I clingy for worrying about him when he is depressed and told me he wants to die the other day and I was just making sure if he was okay? I love him but I never knew he could be like this with me, he has done something like this once before but i put it down to stress and forgave him.

I have no idea what to do.

Scroll to see replies

You're not being clingy in my opinion. Not all people suffering from depression behave rationally and they hit out at those who care...
Reply 2
Original post by JackFletch
You're not being clingy in my opinion. Not all people suffering from depression behave rationally and they hit out at those who care...

do you think I should talk to him or leave him alone for a while? I was planning on just leaving him for a bit until he calms down
Just leave him .. he'll talk to you if he wants to. :sadnod:
Best to leave it be for now
Stop infantilising him and enabling his bull**** behaviour. Depressives are still rational and capable of deciphering between right and wrong. The worst thing you can do is enable this bull****.

Men in particular don't respond particularly well to mollycoddling; the most caring act is typically the harshest one. Support him but don't let him walk all over you like a petulant child.

Based on that text, it seems he's owning his label more than it's owning him. Your role is to help him out of whatever it is he's dealing with. Right now you come across a bit like a Mother feeding her drug addict son painkillers.
Wow. If someone talked to me like that I would seriously re consider my relationship with them. He sounds like he needs space but you don't need this negative energy in your life, give it space and if he behaves like this again, cut him off/ask him if he needs help because that's not acceptable and you're not clingy just for asking if something is wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Just leave him .. he'll talk to you if he wants to. :sadnod:

Original post by TheGreatImposter
Wow. If someone talked to me like that I would seriously re consider my relationship with them. He sounds like he needs space but you don't need this negative energy in your life, give it space and if he behaves like this again, cut him off/ask him if he needs help because that's not acceptable and you're not clingy just for asking if something is wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah. I'm going to give him some space.
Reply 8
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Stop infantilising him and enabling his bull**** behaviour. Depressives are still rational and capable of deciphering between right and wrong. The worst thing you can do is enable this bull****.

Men in particular don't respond particularly well to mollycoddling; the most caring act is typically the harshest one. Support him but don't let him walk all over you like a petulant child.

Based on that text, it seems he's owning his label more than it's owning him. Your role is to help him out of whatever it is he's dealing with. Right now you come across a bit like a Mother feeding her drug addict son painkillers.

what do you mean?
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Men in particular don't respond particularly well to mollycoddling; the most caring act is typically the harshest one.

I didn't read the OP but throwing a brick through his window with a break-up note tied to it would be pretty harsh (especially if it injures one of his pets or something) and I don't think she should do that.
Reply 10
He sounds awful, if I was you I would dump him and tell him he needs to get a grip, it's not clingy to worry about someone, daft men!
Original post by Duwsh
He sounds awful, if I was you I would dump him and tell him he needs to get a grip, it's not clingy to worry about someone, daft men!

But he's got depression and I'm not sure what would happen if I left him. It's not like I don't want him anymore, I just don't understand the situation
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
But he's got depression and I'm not sure what would happen if I left him. It's not like I don't want him anymore, I just don't understand the situation

I get that he is depressed but he still sounds horrible, there's no excuse to be that rude towards you, especially as he said he wanted to die recently, what does he expect? Sorry but I wouldn't take being spoken to like **** like that.
Original post by Duwsh
I get that he is depressed but he still sounds horrible, there's no excuse to be that rude towards you, especially as he said he wanted to die recently, what does he expect? Sorry but I wouldn't take being spoken to like **** like that.

I suppose so. He was acting odd with me before this happened too. He had a big argument with me before because apparently I don't care, which is ironic. But apologised literally a couple of hours later.

I'm sort of wondering whether this is a recurring act, him treating me like this as he's done it before.

my friend told me to not be one or those girls who are too nice and take back boys who treat girls like ****.
Reply 14
I suppose so. He was acting odd with me before this happened too. He had a big argument with me before because apparently I don't care, which is ironic. But apologised literally a couple of hours later.

I'm sort of wondering whether this is a recurring act, him treating me like this as he's done it before.

my friend told me to not be one or those girls who are too nice and take back boys who treat girls like ****.

Your friend sounds like a very wise person, he doesn't sound worth it, regardless of his condition.

I suffer from depression but that doesn't make me an unempathetic dick. -_-

It makes me sad that people like him have partners yet I don't and objectively I'd be so much better of a friend. People. Give me a chance already 0_0
Original post by TorpidPhil
I suffer from depression but that doesn't make me an unempathetic dick. -_-

It makes me sad that people like him have partners yet I don't and objectively I'd be so much better of a friend. People. Give me a chance already 0_0

I'm sure you will find someone right for you.

I'm not that perfect tbh and I do have my moments when I'm unpleasant but I would never act how he is acting towards me.

I promise you'll find someone as nice as you are x
Original post by Duwsh
Your friend sounds like a very wise person, he doesn't sound worth it, regardless of his condition.

I don't think what I'm seeing what everyone else is seeing tbh. I genuinely love him and so is it wrong of me to put up with this?
I'm sure you will find someone right for you.

I'm not that perfect tbh and I do have my moments when I'm unpleasant but I would never act how he is acting towards me.

I promise you'll find someone as nice as you are x

:frown:

I'm growing tired of giving but not receiving. Makes you lose hope and motivation. When one resorts to online dating for the basis of a meaningful relationship. Well. Signs of bad times.

Anyhow. I wish you luck in your relationship and hope somehow you two can resolve this issue but I hardly approve of how he is acting towards you...
Original post by TorpidPhil
:frown:

I'm growing tired of giving but not receiving. Makes you lose hope and motivation. When one resorts to online dating for the basis of a meaningful relationship. Well. Signs of bad times.

Anyhow. I wish you luck in your relationship and hope somehow you two can resolve this issue but I hardly approve of how he is acting towards you...

No one is agreeing with how I am acting towards him but I don't think I deserve any better tbh.

and good luck with you, too. You deserve to be happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending