The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough Applicants and FAQs 2016

This is some information for all prospective applicants for 2016.

It's also a thread where you can have a general chat and ask any questions you can't find the answer to.

The most common FAQs are answered in the drop downs below, so have a look there first.

There are a lot of answers on the University website too, but feel free to ask here if you can't find what you need.

How to Apply

Entry Requirements

International students

Mature students

Deferred Entry

Fees and Finance

After Applying

How long does it take to reply

Interviews

Visit Days

Rejected despite meeting the minimum entry requirements

After Receiving an Offer

Replying to an offer

Accommodation

Results Day and Clearing

I hope all of this helps a bit towards answering some of your questions!

Vicky

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm applying to Bsc Mathematics. Be great to talk to and see what everyone else is applying for.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by AaronLee
Hi, I'm applying to Bsc Mathematics. Be great to talk to and see what everyone else is applying for.

Hi AaronLee

Good luck with your application and if you have any questions, just ask :smile:

Vicky
Reply 3
Hello,

If you are applying for a course with either a placement year or study abroad, are you guaranteed a placement with either of these options?

Thanks,

Emily
Original post by Emily40
Hello,

If you are applying for a course with either a placement year or study abroad, are you guaranteed a placement with either of these options?

Thanks,

Emily

Hi Emily40

Placement years and study abroad years are your responsibility to arrange, so are not guaranteed. However, our schools and departments and our careers and employability centre have a huge amount of resources to help you find what you need. We've also just opened an employment hub called The Place where there are staff dedicated to help you secure your ideal placement.

Hope this helps :smile:
Vicky
Original post by Aaron_1
Hi i have just sent my application last week and i would just like to know how long does it normally take to make a offer and if you do make unconditional offers
Hi Aaron_1It really varies a lot from department to department so it's difficult to say.I'd probably say on average about 2 - 3 weeks, but could be shorter or longer.So I'd leave it another week and hopefully you should hear something.If you let me know what you applied for I can find out the average time that department are currently taking to make offers.Vicky
What opportunities are there to study maths modules in the psychology degree?
Does anyone know how willing Loughborough is in allowing students to change courses (I'm talking within the first semester)?
Original post by Excuse Me!

Hi Excuse Me!

I really don't know but I've contact the department and am waiting for a response. Will get back to you when I find out.
Vicky
Original post by sharonolukoga
Does anyone know how willing Loughborough is in allowing students to change courses (I'm talking within the first semester)?

Hi sharonolukoga

It really depends. If you're looking to change from a BEng to an MEng, if you met the required standards you can usually move across after the 1st year.
If you want to change to something entirely different, that's more complicated.

We don't want you to be unhappy with a course you've chosen and we do our best to rectify that.
However the course you might want to change to may be full and you may not have the correct mix of A-levels required.
There would be a possibility that a similar course may be offered to you, but again it's not guaranteed.

The best thing to do is do your research the courses you want to do and make a really informed decision before you apply. I'm happy to provide you with relevant contact details if you want to speak to/e-mail someone in the relevant department to address any concerns you may have.

Hope this helps
Vicky

Hi Excuse Me!
I've found out that you are eligible to take 20credits from outside your school.
Therefore you'd be able to take20 credits worth of maths modules if you wanted to.
However, your Psychology modules would beprioritised and so you would have to drop the maths modules if there weretimetable clashes for example.

Does that make sense?

Vicky
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Excuse Me!
I've found out that you are eligible to take 20credits from outside your school.
Therefore you'd be able to take20 credits worth of maths modules if you wanted to.
However, your Psychology modules would beprioritised and so you would have to drop the maths modules if there weretimetable clashes for example.

Does that make sense?

Vicky

Yes thanks. Is there a separate extenuating circumstances form to fill out as some universities have them whilst others don't.

If not where could I send a doctors note better explaining the extenuating circumstances?
Reply 12
Hi I'm looking at applying to Loughborough to do an MChem for Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry.

I missed all the open days and I just had some questions about the accomodation, I was wondering if there was any infomation about the rooms or the prices just so I knew, and is there any pictures of the rooms so I can see it beforehand?

Also is it possible to go from Pharmceutical Chemistry to just Chemistry at Loughborugh? I know some universities offer it within the first 2 years but I just wanted to check as I couldn't find infomation on this in the course details.
is it possible to transfer to a placement year if i applied to a three year couse for first year
Original post by WillRJ
Hi I'm looking at applying to Loughborough to do an MChem for Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry.

I missed all the open days and I just had some questions about the accomodation, I was wondering if there was any infomation about the rooms or the prices just so I knew, and is there any pictures of the rooms so I can see it beforehand?

Also is it possible to go from Pharmceutical Chemistry to just Chemistry at Loughborugh? I know some universities offer it within the first 2 years but I just wanted to check as I couldn't find infomation on this in the course details.

Hi WillRJ

For accommodation, have a look at this thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3643857
It has everything you need to know and will also take to our website where there are videos and 360° photos to give you a good idea about each hall.

It is possible, however it is dependent on whether there is room on the chemistry course and I'm nor sure what the time frame would be for changing - but I doubt it'd be up to 2 years (although I may be wrong). With optional modules, you can also tailor your course to focus on your areas of interest, so it may not be necessary to change courses and you could get everything you wanted from the options.

Hope this helps
Vicky
Original post by scrawlx101
is it possible to transfer to a placement year if i applied to a three year couse for first year

Hi scrawlx101

Yes it is normally possible to swap on to a placement course, however if it's something you really think you'd want to do, you would need to apply for the placement course to begin with.
Here's a bit more info on the placement year http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/support/placements/

Vicky
Yes thanks. Is there a separate extenuating circumstances form to fill out as some universities have them whilst others don't.

If not where could I send a doctors note better explaining the extenuating circumstances?

Hi
Contact admissions directly and speak to them
Their number is 01509 223 522 or or if you prefer, e-mail them [email protected]
They'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to do. :smile:

Vicky
Reply 17
With regards to the "Politics, History and International Relations" course, how many places are available and what is the typical number of applications per place.

Many thanks,

Emily
Reply 18
Hi there,

I sent my application off for Mechanical Engineering, how long does the department take on average to get back to you once they have received it. Thank you.
Reply 19
hi, I was wondering how long the Publishing and English course usually take to apply to applicants??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending