The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough University Clearing - Why did it open back up?

I remember yesterday(?) looking at clearing for Loughborough but unfortunately they were only accepting international students. The next day I check again and they're back to accepting both home and international.

Does anyone know exactly why this happened and why they went back to take clearing applications? I'm very intrigued.
Original post by Komodo772
I remember yesterday(?) looking at clearing for Loughborough but unfortunately they were only accepting international students. The next day I check again and they're back to accepting both home and international.

Does anyone know exactly why this happened and why they went back to take clearing applications? I'm very intrigued.

I don't know about Loughborough specifically, but I can hypothesise as to what might be the reason.

During Clearing, candidates will talk to many unis buy can only formally apply for one (at a time) via UCAS Hub. So Loughborough may have found that many of the people who they expected to take up a Clearing offer which they provided verbally, opted to take a Clearing offer elsewhere instead. Hence they now have places again.

Just a theory, obviously.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by DataVenia
I don't know about Loughborough specifically, but I can hypothesise as to what might be the reason.

During Clearing, candidates will talk to many unis buy can only formally apply for one (at a time) via UCAS Hub. So Loughborough may have found that many of the people who they expected to take up a Clearing offer which they provided verbally, opted to take a Clearing offer elsewhere instead. Hence they now have places again.

Just a theory, obviously.

Or could be that they are not finding as many international applicants as they expected so are trying to fill those spots
Original post by wkathryn17
Or could be that they are not finding as many international applicants as they expected so are trying to fill those spots

Indeed.
Original post by Komodo772

Hi @Komodo772,

Thank you for your message. A combination of factors are at play. Each year we see a different percentage of applicants take up our Clearing offers. But we also see variation in the number of students who choose to take a gap year at this point in the cycle. This means that this year we still have a small number of vacancies for well-qualified applicants who wish to experience student life at Loughborough :smile:

- Lindsay
Hi, anyone in need of a room in William Morris for the upcoming year? It’s shared bathroom, self-catered, close to Econ department and students union. Please dm me if interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending