The Student Room Group

What is a good grade?

Around my school all the posters plastered around about A level results are just quoting the % of A*-A's people have got but not much about grades below. Since everyone says A level is harder than GCSE does that mean that a C in A level is relatively good compared to a C at GCSE; and what sort of grades do universities recognise as good?

I heard that a D was actually a pass and was good but that smells a bit off to me, I don't know.

Thanks
A grade is a letter awarded for a qualification.
A good grade is therefore one of those letters which is considered good.

Spoiler

A C is generally considered as all right at A-Level, it depends to where you want to apply. Russell Groups want A*-B generally. D is a pass as is an E, but it isn't good - it is passable. A-Levels are harder though and Universities will accept that when looking at your results.
Original post by MattR_0
Around my school all the posters plastered around about A level results are just quoting the % of A*-A's people have got but not much about grades below. Since everyone says A level is harder than GCSE does that mean that a C in A level is relatively good compared to a C at GCSE; and what sort of grades do universities recognise as good?

I heard that a D was actually a pass and was good but that smells a bit off to me, I don't know.

Thanks

It's relative and based on your perception of good and expectations of what you think you can achieve. therefore, if you think you should be getting an A* and get a B, then a B is not good, however, if you expect a D and get a B, then the B is chuffing brilliant.

So long story short, which university do you want to attend and what do you expect from your A-levels?
Reply 4
Original post by 1998RF
A C is generally considered as all right at A-Level, it depends to where you want to apply. Russell Groups want A*-B generally. D is a pass as is an E, but it isn't good - it is passable. A-Levels are harder though and Universities will accept that when looking at your results.

Thanks

Original post by Paulwyn
It's relative and based on your perception of good and expectations of what you think you can achieve. therefore, if you think you should be getting an A* and get a B, then a B is not good, however, if you expect a D and get a B, then the B is chuffing brilliant.

So long story short, which university do you want to attend and what do you expect from your A-levels?

I have just started AS in September but i just wanted to check on this early. I don't know which university I want to go to; or even if I want to go at all at the moment. I don't know if it is for me. Right now I am predicted a all B's at AS but they're just predicted after all.

Quick Reply

Latest