The Student Room Group

Advice For Learning Maths A - Level

I trying to self Study Maths any one got any advice, I'm planning to use exam curriculum paper to study but wondering if anyone knows any website eg distance learning papers to practise etc.
Reply 1
Original post by irontamoor
I trying to self Study Maths any one got any advice, I'm planning to use exam curriculum paper to study but wondering if anyone knows any website eg distance learning papers to practise etc.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Reply 2

Sorry don't understand your link ? i posted in maths right and searched for fourm (all 5 years old )
Reply 3
Sorry don't understand your link ? i posted in maths right and searched for fourm (all 5 years old )

the link is the correct forum to post this question.
good luck with your enquiry.

I'm currently self studying A-Level maths too, first of all what exam board are you doing? and which modules?

Also I'm using Exam solutions religiously right now, that site is amazing for maths!
Reply 5
AQA or Edexcel i want to do the full A-level maths but need help on how to strat seen the specification but don't understand on how to start thinking of doing mechanics
(edited 8 years ago)
AQA or Edexcel i want to do the full A-level maths but need help on how to strat seen the specification but don't understand on how to start thinking of doing mechanics

Are you going to sit the exams this year? If so, you'll need to contact an exam centre - perhaps a school you've been to before - to be entered.

How you would start is to pick the modules you want to do. That'll be C1 to C4, and then a choice of either S1/S2, S1/M1, S1/D1, M1/D1, M1/M2 or D1/D2. Then get a hold of the textbooks and start studying.

Having taught myself a lot of Stats and a bit of Mechanics, I must warn you that Stats is a lot easier to self teach than mechanics, unless you have a talent for Mechanics. It may be worth thinking about what you want to do in the future, and which of Mechanics, Stats or Decision Maths would be of most use to you.

I did Edexcel for Maths / Further Maths - would recommend it.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Are you going to sit the exams this year? If so, you'll need to contact an exam centre - perhaps a school you've been to before - to be entered.

How you would start is to pick the modules you want to do. That'll be C1 to C4, and then a choice of either S1/S2, S1/M1, S1/D1, M1/D1, M1/M2 or D1/D2. Then get a hold of the textbooks and start studying.

Having taught myself a lot of Stats and a bit of Mechanics, I must warn you that Stats is a lot easier to self teach than mechanics, unless you have a talent for Mechanics. It may be worth thinking about what you want to do in the future, and which of Mechanics, Stats or Decision Maths would be of most use to you.

I did Edexcel for Maths / Further Maths - would recommend it.

Sorry but whats does the bold mean how do you i find the codes ?
Sorry but whats does the bold mean how do you i find the codes ?

A-level Maths is made up of 6 module, and there are 18 in total to choose from (but some of those can't be taken if you're only studying an A-level in Maths).

'C'(#) means Core Mathematics #, where # is a number. Core 1, Core 2, Core 3 and Core 4 are all compulsory modules for an A-level in Maths.

Similarly, 'D' is for Decision Maths, 'S' is for Statistics and 'M' is for Mechanics. The number following the letter is the number of the module. For A-level Maths only, you just need two of these modules. There are rules for combinations of what you can study. I've already written out all of the possible combinations in your situation but if you want I'm sure that you can find the rules online.

The modules should be in the specifcation somewhere.

Are you doing physics as well? Because mechanics and Physics complement each other really well. If you don't do it i recommend to do statistics since its much more easier. Unless you require it for your course then by all means go ahead and do it. I'm doing statistics and I'm loving it.
Reply 10
Original post by SeanFM
A-level Maths is made up of 6 module, and there are 18 in total to choose from (but some of those can't be taken if you're only studying an A-level in Maths).

'C'(#) means Core Mathematics #, where # is a number. Core 1, Core 2, Core 3 and Core 4 are all compulsory modules for an A-level in Maths.

Similarly, 'D' is for Decision Maths, 'S' is for Statistics and 'M' is for Mechanics. The number following the letter is the number of the module. For A-level Maths only, you just need two of these modules. There are rules for combinations of what you can study. I've already written out all of the possible combinations in your situation but if you want I'm sure that you can find the rules online.

The modules should be in the specifcation somewhere.

thank you

Original post by Montypower
Are you doing physics as well? Because mechanics and Physics complement each other really well. If you don't do it i recommend to do statistics since its much more easier. Unless you require it for your course then by all means go ahead and do it. I'm doing statistics and I'm loving it.

im planing on doing Physics once maths is done but not sure, not good at math so might just do statistics, but i LOVE learning mechanics and physics just have to put more work in these areas
thank you

im planing on doing Physics once maths is done but not sure, not good at math so might just do statistics, but i LOVE learning mechanics and physics just have to put more work in these areas

I suppose it's your choice then, If you really love it then you'll do good at it since you'd be dedicated to learn more. Also just curious, do you mean you'll start learning Physics after you finish your maths exams, so next year? or are you doing it both together this year?
Reply 12
Original post by Montypower
I suppose it's your choice then, If you really love it then you'll do good at it since you'd be dedicated to learn more. Also just curious, do you mean you'll start learning Physics after you finish your maths exams, so next year? or are you doing it both together this year?

Once finished i will start studying Physics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending