The Student Room Group

Why is TSR so hostile?

Scroll to see replies

Because half of TSR are teenagers, who are naturally angry, and the rest are mostly university students who are full of opinions and righteous anger. And some just want to watch the world burn
Original post by william walker
What? Can you explain your sentence to me?

Eh, I was asking if trying to convert women on TSR was a good idea.
Original post by Imperion
Eh, I was asking if trying to convert women on TSR was a good idea.

Why not? :colone:
Um, are you trying to convert everyone or what? :indiff:

I don't think convert is the right word ser

Pull, maybe
What? Can you explain your sentence to me?

I shall have the honour of doing this.
"TSR was a good idea?"
TSR is an abbreviation for The Student Room
Something that is good has the required qualities and is of high standard.
An idea is a thought or a suggestion to a possible course of action
Hope this helped.
Why not? :colone:

Why not just go to church and find a girl there? :indiff:

Original post by Asuna Yuuki
I don't think convert is the right word ser

Pull, maybe

Well... he asked if OP would consider convert to Anglican...

Original post by cosmo321
I shall have the honour of doing this.
"TSR was a good idea?"
TSR is an abbreviation for The Student Room
Something that is good has the required qualities and is of high standard.
An idea is a thought or a suggestion to a possible course of action
Hope this helped.

:rofl:
Original post by AnnieGakusei
First and foremost, I joined TSR for support with my A-levels and my faith.

Now, however, I'm beginning to find TSR has utterly worn me down. The sheer number of trolls on this site and the toxicity with which some of its members interact has led me to decide to leave this site for the sake of my own mental health (I'm sure quite a few people on here will shout hurrah since I don't think I exactly made myself popular)

I guess the main question I'm going to ask here is - why do human beings think it's OK to behave like this? I'm a member of a billion other debate forums (many of which poorly modded with large communities) and it never descends into this.

So why is TSR the exception to the rule?

*Hugs*

I'm sorry people have given you a bad experience on this site.

There are loads of nice people on here too, it's just finding them to talk to.
Well... he asked if OP would consider convert to Anglican...

He's made it clear that he'll (usually) only date Anglicans :lol:

That's why he asks it on ANY thread made by a girl...
WTF? :laugh: what do you mean by 'non-denominational'?

It means you don't officially belong to any of the major organised churches of the country (Catholic, CofE, Evangelical, Protestant, Baptist ect ect)

OP probably just attends house church and house bible studies. A bit like house parties but for Christians
Why not just go to church and find a girl there? :indiff:

Because people around where I live know who I am. I don't want anyone knowing who I am. I sort of want a fresh start away from my past and away from my family. As it is heavy constraining on my mentally and psychologically.
No it isn't. My parents are non-denominational. I actually have two minsters saying at my house right now. :smile:
No it isn't. My parents are non-denominational. I actually have two minsters saying at my house right now. :smile:

For your reading;

Nondenominational (or non-denominational) Christian institutions are those not formally aligned with an established religious denomination, but are historically Protestant, or that remain otherwise officially autonomous. This, however, does not preclude an identifiable standard among such congregations. Nondenominational church congregations may establish a functional denomination by means of mutual recognition of or accountability to other congregations and leaders with commonly held doctrine, policy and worship without formalizing external direction or oversight in such matters. Some nondenominational churches explicitly reject the idea of a formalized denominational structure as a matter of principle, holding that each congregation is better off being autonomous. A 2012 Gallup survey reported that 10% of U.S. adults identify as non-specific Christian.[1]
Original post by AnnieGakusei
First and foremost, I joined TSR for support with my A-levels and my faith.

Now, however, I'm beginning to find TSR has utterly worn me down. The sheer number of trolls on this site and the toxicity with which some of its members interact has led me to decide to leave this site for the sake of my own mental health (I'm sure quite a few people on here will shout hurrah since I don't think I exactly made myself popular)

I guess the main question I'm going to ask here is - why do human beings think it's OK to behave like this? I'm a member of a billion other debate forums (many of which poorly modded with large communities) and it never descends into this.

So why is TSR the exception to the rule?

Why do I feel like this is aimed at me?

Sorry if I've upset you, can honestly say that it wasn't/isn't my intention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was meaning the meetings aren't like house parties. :smile: Considering I went to them until I was 16.
I was meaning the meetings aren't like house parties. :smile: Considering I went to them until I was 16.

In my experience it depends on the meetings; I've known some to have alcohol, most have food available. In charismatic circles lots of dancing and singing occurs. There's even Christian nightclubs now.
There is wine and bread taking during the meeting. However no drinking or eating. No dancing. What sort of things have you been going to?
There is wine and bread taking during the meeting. However no drinking or eating. No dancing. What sort of things have you been going to?

Evidently places where I've been having more fun with fellow Christians than you :P

You know there's other denominations that do things differently outside the Anglican church, right?
@AnnieGakusei I've seen only a few of your posts around, but you seem like a nice person, so farewell.

On a side note, I'm probably one of these people you think about, as I've became quite toxic due to other members on here. I rarely hesitate to show passive aggression to people whose morality I find disgusting, and I rarely hesitate to veil insults within my posts at said members. It's made me intolerant of them. I can get very impassioned about things as well.

I don't mind much about mere ignorance (unless they are wilfully.)

tl;dr: I perpetuate the hostility. :redface:

Though I will say, I am by far from the most toxic. I still have high moral standards, but I get swept up by the aggression. I think a few others are like this also.

There are many people with good intentions on here, I find, though not necessarily agreeable views.

Also controversial posters/morally reprehensible ones are the most noticeable/memorable, and get the most attention, so make sure not to let this blind you to the extent.
(or disgusting, and I mean this, disgusting users who mocks people who committed suicide and what not, or said someone here should be stoned to death. But they are few and far between, just will always be remembered.)
Easier to be hostile behind a screen than irl and a lot of young people here take advantage of that, which is a shame.
90% of TSR are grade-obsessed virgins and are frustrated at their lack of grades and sex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending