The Student Room Group

Why is TSR so hostile?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnnieGakusei
First and foremost, I joined TSR for support with my A-levels and my faith.

Now, however, I'm beginning to find TSR has utterly worn me down. The sheer number of trolls on this site and the toxicity with which some of its members interact has led me to decide to leave this site for the sake of my own mental health (I'm sure quite a few people on here will shout hurrah since I don't think I exactly made myself popular)

I guess the main question I'm going to ask here is - why do human beings think it's OK to behave like this? I'm a member of a billion other debate forums (many of which poorly modded with large communities) and it never descends into this.

So why is TSR the exception to the rule?

Because topics centre around sensitive and controversial subjects

There is bound to be people who are not mature or secure enough to handle the nature of these discussions. It does not make them "toxic"
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by william walker
Because people around where I live know who I am. I don't want anyone knowing who I am. I sort of want a fresh start away from my past and away from my family. As it is heavy constraining on my mentally and psychologically.

Why not move?
Quite frankly this place is infested with knuckle draggers.

It always has been.
It was will be.
There is wine and bread taking during the meeting. However no drinking or eating. No dancing. What sort of things have you been going to?

Are you high church or low church just out of curiosity?
High Church. :smile:
High Church. :smile:

Ah, I see, do you go every week? I've got loads of questions haha
I don't go to Church and I haven't been baptised an Anglican yet. Problems with my family not believing in Church's and being opposed to me becoming an Anglican. However I believe in the doctrine of the Church. The 39 articles and book of common prayer, men only minsters. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't go to Church and I haven't been baptised an Anglican yet. Problems with my family not believing in Church's and being opposed to me becoming an Anglican. However I believe in the doctrine of the Church. The 39 articles and book of common prayer, men only minsters. :smile:

I see, that's rather unusual amongst people our age; usually it's the other way around, highly religious parents and atheistic or agnostic kids. Do your parents belong to a different religion or sect?
My parents are what I call non-conformist Protestants. What other people would say is non-denominational Protestant sect.

Yeah my support the Church of England is to a great extent political. I hate the government and I see the Church as the only institutions which can constrain the governments power after a restoration. However reading the book of common prayer, the Anglican marriage and funeral services, the 39 articles and evensong. The Anglican Churches themselves offer a beauty which is all to itself. It is the very basis for the British nation, its language, music and architecture. Britain doesn't exist without the Church of England.
My parents are what I call non-conformist Protestants. What other people would say is non-denominational Protestant sect.

Yeah my support the Church of England is to a great extent political. I hate the government and I see the Church as the only institutions which can constrain the governments power after a restoration. However reading the book of common prayer, the Anglican marriage and funeral services, the 39 articles and evensong. The Anglican Churches themselves offer a beauty which is all to itself. It is the very basis for the British nation, its language, music and architecture. Britain doesn't exist without the Church of England.

So they would go to independent house groups and the like? Except like you said earlier would have a bishop around?

I don't know how you can say that when Britain existed prior to 1534. I understand that for many people it is a symbol of patriotism but it's not strict enough to Christian values for my liking. Which political party do you support (if any?) There is plenty of nice catholic architecture in Britain too.

What are you studying if you don't mind me asking
Original post by Gears265
The problem is not the site but you. You are ultra left wing meaning any centre left, centre, centre right or right wing political opinions- you regard as fascism and hate. You are the problem.

That's not very nice, Gears265
Yeah. They also have a greater gatherings, where the minsters speak. The minsters stay in peoples houses.

Britain came into existence in 1688 after the Glorious Revolution. The Protestant Anglican Church came into existence in 1660 after the Restoration. What are these Christian values it isn't strict enough to? It is weakening though, much to my dismay. To best honest it is also putting me off, as I don't want to join a Liberal institution. The life of the nation comes from the Church. You were born, baptised, educated, worked, married and died. The Church for 2 centuries was the ceremonial arbiter of family and morality. You can't have Britain without the Church of England, it can't exist. Most of the architecture is Anglican now though. I do have a great deal of respect for the Catholic Church.

I support UKIP and am a member. If the DUP were a national party I would vote for them. Also thought about re-forming the High Tory party with some of my aristocratic friends, but nothing is really in the works.

I am studying nothing. I don't have a job. I have never been to university. I am 23 years old. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Now, however, I'm beginning to find TSR has utterly worn me down. The sheer number of trolls on this site and the toxicity with which some of its members interact has led me to decide to leave this site for the sake of my own mental health (I'm sure quite a few people on here will shout hurrah since I don't think I exactly made myself popular)

I guess the main question I'm going to ask here is - why do human beings think it's OK to behave like this? I'm a member of a billion other debate forums (many of which poorly modded with large communities) and it never descends into this.

I've obviously just been very lucky with who I've come across. There have been a couple of trolls on the A-Level page but other than that...

:hugs:I'm so sorry you feel like this though - there are decent people on here I promise! I will admit to being quite strongly opinionated on some of the forums (I am very political) but have never tried to force my view on others or insulted anyone. I'm not someone who hides behind a screen and bullies people.

What A-Levels are you doing? I'm A2 Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies.

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk :smile:
Yeah. They also have a greater gatherings, where the minsters speak. The minsters stay in peoples houses.

Britain came into existence in 1688 after the Glorious Revolution. The Protestant Anglican Church came into existence in 1660 after the Restoration. What are these Christian values it isn't strict enough to? It is weakening though, much to my dismay. To best honest it is also putting me off, as I don't want to join a Liberal institution. The lift of the nation comes from the Church. You were born, baptised, educated, worked, married and died. The Church for 2 centuries we the ceremonial arbiter of family and morality. You can't have Britain without the Church of England, it can't exist. Most of the architecture is Anglican now though. I do have a great deal of respect for the Catholic Church.

I support UKIP and am a member. If the DUP were a national party I would vote for them. Also thought about re-forming the High Tory party with some of my aristocratic friends, but nothing is really in the works.

I am studying nothing. I don't have a job. I have never been to university. I am 23 years old. :smile:

So, from a rich family then I take it? I'm the same as you, UKIP supporter, not a big fan of all the rampant atheism in British society today.

You type as though you are actually 60 though. Do you have any career aspirations?

Britain came into existence in 1688 after the Glorious Revolution. The Protestant Anglican Church came into existence in 1660 after the Restoration. What are these Christian values it isn't strict enough to? It is weakening though, much to my dismay. To best honest it is also putting me off, as I don't want to join a Liberal institution. The life of the nation comes from the Church. You were born, baptised, educated, worked, married and died. The Church for 2 centuries was the ceremonial arbiter of family and morality. You can't have Britain without the Church of England, it can't exist. Most of the architecture is Anglican now though. I do have a great deal of respect for the Catholic Church.

Sorry for interrupting but I couldn't help seeing this! :smile: Haven't come across anyone from UKIP for a while (I'm a member of a different party but I'm not about to have a go at you, don't worry!)

Cuz there are a lot of noisy *******s I'm afraid! And they make people not want to say anything against them because it is exhausting. If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure the people who are super toxic are the same people who sit in your classes and don't say anything to anyone; attempting to bully someone online and beat them into submission is the highlight of their day.

It pisses me off too. Don't let it get to you! Ignore the threads that seem like they're going to be controversial, and then all you'll get is a bunch of *******s arguing amongst fellow *******s. Having left wing political views on this forum is kinda asking for an argument from someone who thinks the Tories are the greatest thing to happen to this country. Leave them to it!
I would say middle class, well off family. Rather than rich. Like lower middle class.

I don't think UKIP is a party which opposes rampant Atheism. It is just means for Thatcherite and anti-EU people to come together. I oppose the EU so that is why I am a member. I see Atheism as coming from the government, political parties, Courts and media. So it is an enforced change, it isn't just natural because people have more information as the Atheists say. As today how many people have read the 39 articles or know what is meant by the soul. It is to do with peoples interactions with institutions. Today the government a secular non-religious institution does everything for them. So they are Atheist. When they Church of England did it they were Anglican or Protestant. So it is simple you restore the power of the Church and you destroy Atheism. However will anyone do this or become an Anglican, no. Apart from me of course. Sorry for the rant.

I am terrible a typing, I just use nice words which I have to look up to spell. I am terrible at English. No I don't have any aspirations really, just maintain the Church of England and weaken the government. I would like to do geo-strategy for the foreign office. Maybe do something in economics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by emiloujess
Sorry for interrupting but I couldn't help seeing this! :smile: Haven't come across anyone from UKIP for a while (I'm a member of a different party but I'm not about to have a go at you, don't worry!)

Which party are you a member of? :smile:
Original post by LannaBanana

It pisses me off too. Don't let it get to you! Ignore the threads that seem like they're going to be controversial, and then all you'll get is a bunch of *******s arguing amongst fellow *******s. Having left wing political views on this forum is kinda asking for an argument from someone who thinks the Tories are the greatest thing to happen to this country. Leave them to it!

The political forums aren't always like this - I've had a few nice discussions with members of a different party to me. There are just some who take what should be a friendly debate waay too seriously. But yeah that annoys me too :frown:
Which party are you a member of? :smile:

Liberal Democrat, hoping to go into Politics actually :smile: But I have nothing against the other parties - I simply have a different view to them. It doesn't mean that they're any less right or wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending