The Student Room Group

How important are your GCSE's when applying to universities?

I didn't do so well for my IGCSE's (I'm an international student). But my predicted grades for a levels are pretty decent (I'm predicted AAB) and enough to get me to universities that I want to apply to with entry courses of AAB-ABB for a politics related degree.

I know that most unis ask for grade c in math and english language/literature, but I got an A* both english language and literature, but a D in math. What are my chances of receiving an offer?

Really worried. Thanks!!! :biggrin:
Consider retaking your maths because it is vital for getting into a good uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farrah136
I didn't do so well for my IGCSE's (I'm an international student). But my predicted grades for a levels are pretty decent (I'm predicted AAB) and enough to get me to universities that I want to apply to with entry courses of AAB-ABB for a politics related degree.

I know that most unis ask for grade c in math and english language/literature, but I got an A* both english language and literature, but a D in math. What are my chances of receiving an offer?

Really worried. Thanks!!! :biggrin:

GCSEs aren't looked at in great detail- however if a course states you need a C at GCSE maths then any applicant without that who isn't retaking will be rejected. And if you retake and miss the grade then that is often more likely to be rejected than missing an A level grade.
Original post by PQ
GCSEs aren't looked at in great detail- however if a course states you need a C at GCSE maths then any applicant without that who isn't retaking will be rejected. And if you retake and miss the grade then that is often more likely to be rejected than missing an A level grade.

This advice is generally true but I know of someone who got all 5 offers for History this year including 2 from Russell Group unis. You will need to research your unis thoroughly
Original post by swanseajack1
This advice is generally true but I know of someone who got all 5 offers for History this year including 2 from Russell Group unis. You will need to research your unis thoroughly

True. There's always exceptions. For GCSE maths in particular it might not be a requirement to succeed on a specific degree.

But it's a good idea for the OP to get their GCSE maths grade up to a C. A lot of jobs have C in English and maths GCSE as a minimum requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending