The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Switching from BMS to Math&Econ

I've read on TSR about people switching from Mathematics and Economics to Business Mathematics and Statistics but is it possible to switch the other way?
Reply 1
Very unlikely as LSE is aware that people try to do so as a 'back door' into the top degrees they offer. My friend who is at LSE tried switching from Stats with Finance (basically same as BMS) to Maths and Econ but they denied him immediately. He had 2A* 2A at A-Level. Tbh he seems pretty happy with his degree anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Not as an offer holder, but in 2nd yr it's usually possible with good 1st yr grades (that's what I did, as well as 2 of my friends).
Original post by Swayum
Not as an offer holder, but in 2nd yr it's usually possible with good 1st yr grades (that's what I did, as well as 2 of my friends).

If I got into the BMS course, I wouldn't mind the second year switch. Did you have to take certain modules to be allowed to switch?
Reply 4
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
If I got into the BMS course, I wouldn't mind the second year switch. Did you have to take certain modules to be allowed to switch?

The first yr is pretty common between a lot of degrees, just take abstract maths
Original post by Swayum
The first yr is pretty common between a lot of degrees, just take abstract maths

Alright, will keep that in mind. :smile:
Also, the Maths and Economics course says that you need Further Maths atleast to AS level at grade A. However, once you've completed your first year at LSE, does the AS requirement not matter since the first year marks would be more important?
Reply 6
Alright, will keep that in mind. :smile:
Also, the Maths and Economics course says that you need Further Maths atleast to AS level at grade A. However, once you've completed your first year at LSE, does the AS requirement not matter since the first year marks would be more important?

To answer your question, no, I highly doubt it matters but I'm not sure.

However, you need to reconsider both BMS and Maths + Econ if an A in Further Maths seems problematic. There's no point coming to LSE and doing badly in the degree.
Original post by Swayum
To answer your question, no, I highly doubt it matters but I'm not sure.

However, you need to reconsider both BMS and Maths + Econ if an A in Further Maths seems problematic. There's no point coming to LSE and doing badly in the degree.

Oh no I don't think an A in FM would have been problematic, I thought I wouldn't need FM at the start of Year 12 when I picked my subjects. Now that I'm in year 13, it's kinda late for me to even pick up the AS. I do regret not choosing FM.

That being said, in your first year, which modules of Further Maths did you use in your first year at LSE?
Reply 8
Oh no I don't think an A in FM would have been problematic, I thought I wouldn't need FM at the start of Year 12 when I picked my subjects. Now that I'm in year 13, it's kinda late for me to even pick up the AS. I do regret not choosing FM.

That being said, in your first year, which modules of Further Maths did you use in your first year at LSE?

Most of it is pretty useless, the useful parts are vectors/matrices and complex numbers, as well as all the stats (you do S1-S4 + extras in your first year stats module at LSE). Decision modules can also be useful for 2nd/3rd yr if you choose to study decision maths.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending