The Student Room Group

Should I do an A Level?

Hi everyone! I've got a dilemma and I wondered if you could help me with it.

I'm 24 and I've recently found linguistics is my passion and what I want to do with my life (a bit late maybe!) I want to do a course in it, but, apart from what I've taught myself, I've haven't got any background in linguistics. I didn't do any English language at college or anything. I wondered if, in that case, I should do an A Level in English language before anything else. Can I do an A Level at 24? I've looked at some college courses and, the thing is, I'm not sure how I would feel being with people 6 or more years younger than me. I'm not the most confident person, and I'm not sure if I'd prefer learning with people who are a similar age to me.
A number of colleges/6th forms will offer A Levels for mature students, which sounds like it would be a good option for you if you don't feel comfortable in lessons with people so much younger than you! I know that my college does adult education courses. Alternatively, you could look at doing a MOOC in English on a remote learning website like FutureLearn or Alison. It's never too late to go into a new field and I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 2
Thanks! I'll have a look and see what I can find.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending