The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1
I am told (i'm not really clued up on this kind of thing) that Oxford and Imperial are very evenly matched in terms of science. I've even heard some say that Imperial's courses may be slightly better.

However, in the 'real world', a MSc from either of them is excellent. So my humble advice would be to evaluate each on their own merits. The thing that would sway me is that I don't ever want to live in London, but it is all down to personal choice.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
The two courses have differences too. The Oxford course will undoubtedly have a lot more foundation stuff - true CS theory - whereas Imperial will have more options in modern applications. Might be worth attending the interview if you are not sure what is your thing.
Absolutely definitely visit the departments. I think shiny is spot on here and you have to decide what you are going to enjoy the most.
Oxford is Oxford.
Reply 5
codeLunatic
Hi!

I need your advice.
Recently I have been offered a place for MSc Computer Science at Oxford and have now been called for an Interview at Imperial for MSc in Advanced Computing.

Now I am struggling do decide if I should attend the interview at Imperial at all..

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

The MSc in Advanced Computing is tougher than any computing MSc in Oxford. The chances of getting a great job after your degree are also very high given the fact that imperial is considered the top uni in computing. Keep in mind that the MSc in Advanced Computing is basically the 4th year of the MEng in Computing with some extra stuff (prolog, etc)
Reply 6
codeLunatic
Hi!

I need your advice.
Recently I have been offered a place for MSc Computer Science at Oxford and have now been called for an Interview at Imperial for MSc in Advanced Computing.

Now I am struggling do decide if I should attend the interview at Imperial at all..

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

As said before, definately attend the interview at Imperial. It doesn't hurt to see what it offers - you might like it more, and I do firmly beleive it will make no difference to your job prospects on graduating either.
I do appreciate your desire to attend Oxford, who wouldn't, but Imperial is definately worth a look for this area.
What is your first degree in? Where did you go originally? I notice a lot of people who went to newer universities wanting to go to Oxbridge for postgrad for the change (leave aside the fact that they are great unis).
Reply 7
Scuttle
As said before, definately attend the interview at Imperial. It doesn't hurt to see what it offers - you might like it more, and I do firmly beleive it will make no difference to your job prospects on graduating either.
I do appreciate your desire to attend Oxford, who wouldn't, but Imperial is definately worth a look for this area.
What is your first degree in? Where did you go originally? I notice a lot of people who went to newer universities wanting to go to Oxbridge for postgrad for the change (leave aside the fact that they are great unis).

thanks for the replies everyone,
My first degree is from University of Teesside (Computer Science),
I'll have to consider other aspects as well, the fees difference for International students between the two institutes seems to be quite a bit...

@vigo did you study at Imperial? you seem to know abt the subjects etc
I think you should also consider the lifestyle you'll have at the two colleges. I can't speak from experience about Imperial (my cousin went) there, but I think everyone is very focused, and being London the social scene is difficult.

Being at Oxford is really balanced socially because you have your college MCR and you will make friends very easily that are doing all sorts of different courses. Everyone also lives together in college accomodation (although for graduates not mixed in with the undergits) and you're sure to bump into a million people you know everytime you go from your room to your department.

I know I guy taking your course next year, and he's cool (if that helps!)
Reply 9
I've decided to go to Oxford for many reasons, Imperials fees is almost 35% more, not a great fan of staying in London (currently in London for the last 8 months), though Imperial might be slightly better for computing, being an international student who plans go go back to the home country, the Oxford brand would be an advantage, apart from that I see that bother the institutes have very similar course with similar modules.

thank you all for you replies..

Latest

Trending

Trending