The Student Room Group

Headstart EDT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Guys, I'm confused. I got confirmation of my application in October, but didn't get an email in mid Feb like most people alerting them that today was the offers day. I haven't heard back today either. I tried ringing headstart but rather bizarrely they're only open 8am-9am. I emailed them too but they just told me to wait a few days. This doesn't explain why I didn't get the email a couple of weeks ago though?
There wasn't an email a couple of weeks ago. I think it was just for the people who had Cambridge as their first choice course which obviously wouldn't have been a lot of people. I think the best thing to do is wait because there's a lot of emails to send! Did you recieve a text today though?

Original post by I can do this
Guys, I'm confused. I got confirmation of my application in October, but didn't get an email in mid Feb like most people alerting them that today was the offers day. I haven't heard back today either. I tried ringing headstart but rather bizarrely they're only open 8am-9am. I emailed them too but they just told me to wait a few days. This doesn't explain why I didn't get the email a couple of weeks ago though?
Reply 42
Original post by I can do this

Hmm, strange, last year I think they did a second round of offers around the 20th so maybe that's what's going on? Maybe try contacting them again?
Pretty upset right now, didn't get any offers :'(
Oh well, what can you do. I'm going to have to look around for some kind of work experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by FusionNetworks
Pretty upset right now, didn't get any offers :'(
Oh well, what can you do. I'm going to have to look around for some kind of work experience.

I know a lot of people who didn't so don't feel bad! As long as you get some sort of experience in the area you want to study, unis won't care exactly what it is
Anyone else got an offer for maths at Lancaster?
Anyone else BBE at Bristol? I wanted Chem Eng at UCL so kinda bummed - not that into General Eng but still hyped :smile:
Original post by mollyrt
I know a lot of people who didn't so don't feel bad! As long as you get some sort of experience in the area you want to study, unis won't care exactly what it is

Its difficult to find any work experience for chem eng, but ill keep looking! Im still not sure why i didnt get into any of my unis. I got good gcse grades and have already have some experience with engineering schemes. I had a buddy that had 12a*s at GCSE but didnt get any offers. Its weird that almost all the girls that applied got a placement at their unis, but only one boy got a place in my year, which seems a bit odd. Its probably because they want to encourage female engineers, which is fair enough!!
Reply 48
Its difficult to find any work experience for chem eng, but ill keep looking! Im still not sure why i didnt get into any of my unis. I got good gcse grades and have already have some experience with engineering schemes. I had a buddy that had 12a*s at GCSE but didnt get any offers. Its weird that almost all the girls that applied got a placement at their unis, but only one boy got a place in my year, which seems a bit odd. Its probably because they want to encourage female engineers, which is fair enough!!

Yeah that makes sense - from my understanding its the specific unis that choose who gets to go where, not EDT, so you might have just been unlucky enough to apply only to unis that wanted to prioritize girls? A lot probably relied on the personal statement too, which is hard for only 200 words!

Quite a few universities run taster courses within their ChemEng faculties for Year 12s looking to apply - they tend to be one day courses and apparently look pretty good on UCAS applications.
Original post by georgia44
Hi
I did this last year
Feel free to ask questions:smile:

Hi there.

I didn't get the course that I wanted (I wanted mathematics but I got Computer Science).

Is it useful at the university application process? Or is not looked at that much?

Thank you very much.
Reply 51
I got a place at UCL for chemical engineering was hoping for a materials science course, as that is where my interest lie, but only Oxbridge offered it so I knew it would be difficult. Still happy though, who else got a place at UCL Chem Eng.
Original post by londoncricket
Hi there.

I didn't get the course that I wanted (I wanted mathematics but I got Computer Science).

Is it useful at the university application process? Or is not looked at that much?

Thank you very much.

Which Computer Svience course?
Original post by LoveTheDivergent
Which Computer Svience course?

Durham University.
Original post by Jakewww
Did it help at all with a university application? (I presume you have applied?)

I think yes as I got all my offers, however I wasnt asked about it in interview
Hi there.

Thank you very much.

I think you should definitely take up your offer because it is a great experience for sampling university life and meeting new people along with the whole academic side.
Mentioning it on your personal statement does make it stand out and I know that most people in my year aiming for STEM subjects at russell group universities did it.
Hey guys, i got onto Broad Based Engineering at Sussex, anyone else going/anyone know what its like?
Reply 57
Durham University.

I'm glad I've found someone in the same situation as me, I've messaged you :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by EllisJJohnson
Hey guys, i got onto Broad Based Engineering at Sussex, anyone else going/anyone know what its like?

Hey, I'm not doing broad based engineering but I'm going to sussex too for chemistry and drug design. Not sure if they'll be on the same days though?
Reply 59
Anyone else get broad based engineering at Exeter?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending