The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Jools
For an A-Level student you have a ridiculous amount of knowledge. But my main point is that degree class is not as important as people here seem to think in determining job prospects, I'd say everything else (work experience, evidence of teamwork, organisational skills, leadership, communication, social skills etc) is perhaps more important than whether someone has a 2:1 or a 1st. Most of the Top 100 companies require a 2:1 as a minimum criteria to apply, but thereafter it's everything else outside academia which matters to stand out.

For an A-level student who visited Deloitte about two weeks ago while a lot of interviewing was going on, I have a fairly average level of knowledge :smile:. With your main point, however, I don't think there's much argument. Bear in mind this thread was started asking how people with 3rds would get on, and I think it has to be said that generally they would struggle.

oh and btw, Jools, I think a 2:1 from Oxford easily qualifies as academically successful.
Outrageous
Really, Jools? Would you not think though that it depends on fields as well? I mean there will always be a need for certain professionals whereas otehr fields are just highly competitative?

I'm talking about the bulk of jobs where they say it doesn't matter what degree subject you took - Management consultancy, Investment Banking (although Econ/Maths is useful), Marketing, Human Resources, PR, Law (provided you take a conversion course), etc. Even for jobs where your degree is directly relevant, eg Engineering for BAE, you're likely to have better employability prospects with a 2:1 and work experience (eg during uni vacations) rather than leaving with a 1st.
Reply 62
Jools
I'm talking about the bulk of jobs where they say it doesn't matter what degree subject you took - Management consultancy, Investment Banking (although Econ/Maths is useful), Marketing, Human Resources, PR, Law (provided you take a conversion course), etc. Even for jobs where your degree is directly relevant, eg Engineering for BAE, you're likely to have better employability prospects with a 2:1 and work experience (eg during uni vacations) rather than leaving with a 1st.

Well there you go. Just when you think you have the system figured out it surprises you. Well I think its safe to say that in this day and age guarantees are not easy to come by. Do your best and then take things as they come. Don't cross all bridges at once. One just has to get out there really and try ones luck. Although I seriously thought 1:1s have it made and no hassle - generally speaking unless unemployment as such is a huge problem or extreme competition.
H&E
With your main point, however, I don't think there's much argument. Bear in mind this thread was started asking how people with 3rds would get on, and I think it has to be said that generally they would struggle.

Yeah, with a 3rd you basically need to be lucky, or have something very special about you. Whoever said that getting a 3rd from a non-top uni will mean being unable to secure a graduate-entry job is correct in 9 out of 10 cases.
H&E
oh and btw, Jools, I think a 2:1 from Oxford easily qualifies as academically successful.

I meant compared to others here - despite doing one of the least respected courses at one of the least respected colleges, and probably being below average academically compared to others here (scraping 2.1 right now), I've had offers from investment banks & law firms that people with 1sts doing 'decent' subjects (Economics&Management, Law, Maths) were rejected from.
Outrageous
Although I seriously thought 1:1s have it made and no hassle - generally speaking unless unemployment as such is a huge problem or extreme competition.

If someone gets a 1st I'm sure they'll usually have no problems at all getting a job, but not necessarily a 'top' job, i.e. the most competitive ones from the most renouned companies...
Someone on BBC Online Talking Point
I got 4 As at A-Level, a first class degree from Oxford and PhD and I got rejected from the first 24 jobs I applied for over a 6 month period, certainly the most depressing time of my life.

The reasons given were similar - not enough experiences in life of things other than exams. I definitely feel I worked too hard and neglected other aspects of life - I got it wrong and it was a rude shock.

There are other things in life which matter more!
Reply 65
Jools
Yeah, with a 3rd you basically need to be lucky, or have something very special about you. Whoever said that getting a 3rd from a non-top uni will mean being unable to secure a graduate-entry job is correct in 9 out of 10 cases.

I meant compared to others here - despite doing one of the least respected courses at one of the least respected colleges, and probably being below average academically compared to others here (scraping 2.1 right now), I've had offers from investment banks & law firms that people with 1sts doing 'decent' subjects (Economics&Management, Law, Maths) were rejected from.

With the amount of stuff you do, I'll bet you're hardly struggling. I wonder how Mr Richardson is getting on - OxGoss suggests he's far from spectacular academically, but his extra-curricular (to use a very schoolboy term) activities are extraodrinary.
H&E
With the amount of stuff you do, I'll bet you're hardly struggling. I wonder how Mr Richardson is getting on - OxGoss suggests he's far from spectacular academically, but his extra-curricular (to use a very schoolboy term) activities are extraodrinary.

Richardson's a good example of what I'm saying - got 39.5% in BA Engineering, yet was inundated with job offers, including Dyson. Now got an unconditional offer for a City Law conversion.
you guys are producing good excuses for undergrads to not do well :biggrin:
Reply 68
Jools
Richardson's a good example of what I'm saying - got 39.5% in BA Engineering, yet was inundated with job offers, including Dyson. Now got an unconditional offer for a City Law conversion.

I bet that makes him even less popular with all the Oxonians who work their balls off for 3 years in the (sometimes vain) hope of getting a 1st.

nb - isn't 39.5% a fail?
H&E
nb - isn't 39.5% a fail?

Not if you buy your college a new kitchen :wink: :eek: :wink:

Edit: For the more gullible amongst you, this was a joke, and was not intended to spark another national media storm.
Reply 70
Jools
Not if you buy your college a new kitchen :wink: :eek: :wink:

It must have been a very good kitchen.
Reply 71
H&E
It must have been a very good kitchen.

H&E maybe we should buy a kitchen for our colleges when (if in my case) we get to Oxford? :smile:
Reply 72
shiny
H&E maybe we should buy a kitchen for our colleges when (if in my case) we get to Oxford? :smile:

Alternatively, we could pass our degrees. Though it seems buying a kitcehn is the easier option...
Oh so that's why some people get their phd's done in less than 3 years.
Reply 74
H&E
I think for a PhD you'd need to buy a lot more than a kitchen.

How about a kitchen and a nice teapot? :smile:
Reply 75
shiny
How about a kitchen and a nice teapot? :smile:

Would work at Pembroke, probably.
Reply 76
H&E
Would work at Pembroke, probably.

I think that's the limit of my budget. Have to do it the hard way then :rolleyes:
Reply 77
shiny
I think that's the limit of my budget. Have to do it the hard way then :rolleyes:

Are you doing a PhD?
Reply 78
H&E
Are you doing a PhD?

Ask me in a couple of days time ... awaiting exam results :eek:
Reply 79
shiny
Ask me in a couple of days time ... awaiting exam results :eek:

In which case, good luck. And get off the site and revise! (Am I saying that to you or to myself? :confused:)

Latest

Trending

Trending