The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just looking on UCAS and on the occupational therapy course section it says you guys give students the opportunity to take part in the Erasmus programme. Was just wondering if this is open to all students and will it be attending a different uni or abroad on a placement?!
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Original post by aquint
Just looking on UCAS and on the occupational therapy course section it says you guys give students the opportunity to take part in the Erasmus programme. Was just wondering if this is open to all students and will it be attending a different uni or abroad on a placement?!

Hey - yes we do have exchange opportunities (the Erasmus+ programs are for European exchanges). The exchange is for a part-semester program, typically in the second year (semester 2). More information can be gained as you progress through, but the International Liaison Office ([email protected]) would be the first port of call for further details. It wouldn't be a placement exchange, as there are restrictions on that, but students would be there to study at one of our exchange partners.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Reply 22
Original post by Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Hey - yes we do have exchange opportunities (the Erasmus+ programs are for European exchanges). The exchange is for a part-semester program, typically in the second year (semester 2). More information can be gained as you progress through, but the International Liaison Office ([email protected]) would be the first port of call for further details. It wouldn't be a placement exchange, as there are restrictions on that, but students would be there to study at one of our exchange partners.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

Okay, thanks! Last question, I'm currently living in England so would be coming up to study - will tuition fees and living costs still be covered by NHS grants and bursaries?!
Original post by aquint
Okay, thanks! Last question, I'm currently living in England so would be coming up to study - will tuition fees and living costs still be covered by NHS grants and bursaries?!

No worries, ask as many as you need! That's why I'm here :smile:
In Scotland the fees aspect is different so you don't apply for NHS funding. You apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) who would arrange for your tuition fees to be paid for. You can also apply for any bursaries you are eligible for (Young Student or Independent Student bursary) - details on their website: www.saas.gov.uk. For living costs, you then apply to Student Finance England for any living costs support they offer. If you want more help or advice, feel free to contact our Student Funding Adviser via [email protected].
Charlotte
(Official OMU TSR Rep)
Hi. I have applied for undergrad Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy at QMU and was wondering when these courses normally reply to applicants? I'm also wondering what the ratios are this year, in regards to how many applicants there are for each course and the spaces available this year. Thanks
Original post by Hannah Louiise
Hi. I have applied for undergrad Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy at QMU and was wondering when these courses normally reply to applicants? I'm also wondering what the ratios are this year, in regards to how many applicants there are for each course and the spaces available this year. Thanks

Hi there. We will be making decisions in the coming weeks - we will respond with decisions as soon as they are made but with the volume of applications for this course it will take several weeks to process everything. We have a total of 25 places on this course and generally will receive 250+ applications (around 10 applications per place). As the deadline for UCAS hasn't yet passed, I can't given you indications for this year but that would be a general guideline.
Best of luck!
Charlotte (Official QMU TSR Rep)
Hello,How many places are available on the pre-reg MSc Physiotherapy programme?

I will be applying from Ireland. Will I be eligible for any grants?

Finally, is a 2:2 prior degree sufficient to meet the entry requirements?

Best,
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dylanmc111
Hello,How many places are available on the pre-reg MSc Physiotherapy programme?

I will be applying from Ireland. Will I be eligible for any grants?

Finally, is a 2:2 prior degree sufficient to meet the entry requirements?

Best,

Hi there. We look for at least a 2:2 Honours degree in any discipline, as long as you can demonstrate a knowledge of scientific enquiry. This knowledge may come from undertaking a module such as research methods, statistics or some kind of data collection, data processing or analysis. Places on the course are very limited, due to the limited number of placements we can offer students, and therefore competition for the course is extremely high.

As part of your personal statement you should demonstrate that you have an awareness of the different areas that physiotherapists work in and the different roles that physiotherapists can have. You should also consider arranging work experience or shadowing of physiotherapy practice to help you develop your understanding of what physiotherapy entails. We recognise it can be difficult to arrange shadowing experience and if this is not possible, we would recommend that you do some research to develop your understanding the range of areas that physiotherapists work in.

With regards to funding - students are typically self funding for this course and it would be your responsibility to seek any funding available. Eligibility for funding, if any, may also differ depending on your residency (ROI or Northern Ireland) so my advice would be to speak with our Funding Advisor. You can email him at [email protected]

Hope this helps!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Hi there. We look for at least a 2:2 Honours degree in any discipline, as long as you can demonstrate a knowledge of scientific enquiry. This knowledge may come from undertaking a module such as research methods, statistics or some kind of data collection, data processing or analysis. Places on the course are very limited, due to the limited number of placements we can offer students, and therefore competition for the course is extremely high.

As part of your personal statement you should demonstrate that you have an awareness of the different areas that physiotherapists work in and the different roles that physiotherapists can have. You should also consider arranging work experience or shadowing of physiotherapy practice to help you develop your understanding of what physiotherapy entails. We recognise it can be difficult to arrange shadowing experience and if this is not possible, we would recommend that you do some research to develop your understanding the range of areas that physiotherapists work in.

With regards to funding - students are typically self funding for this course and it would be your responsibility to seek any funding available. Eligibility for funding, if any, may also differ depending on your residency (ROI or Northern Ireland) so my advice would be to speak with our Funding Advisor. You can email him at [email protected]

Hope this helps!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

Hi Charlotte,

I hold a degree but not in scientific field. Where have students taken these additional modules to demonstrate scientific knowledge?

Best,
Hi Charlotte,

I hold a degree but not in scientific field. Where have students taken these additional modules to demonstrate scientific knowledge?

Best,

Within your degree, did you undertake an Honours project (and therefore conducted data collection and/or data analysis)? Or have you completed any statistics within your modules? Often this may be from reports written for assessments for example, somewhere which asked you to process data in some form. Lots of modules would cover this, 'scientific enquiry' can make it seem like it would only be from a science-based course however it is surprising which other subjects cover it. (I know I did within my own BA Business degree so you may have too!)

Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Within your degree, did you undertake an Honours project (and therefore conducted data collection and/or data analysis)? Or have you completed any statistics within your modules? Often this may be from reports written for assessments for example, somewhere which asked you to process data in some form. Lots of modules would cover this, 'scientific enquiry' can make it seem like it would only be from a science-based course however it is surprising which other subjects cover it. (I know I did within my own BA Business degree so you may have too!)

Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

No, sadly not!

Would an access course be accepted? If so, how many credits would be needed?
No, sadly not!

Would an access course be accepted? If so, how many credits would be needed?

Okay - let me check with the course tutor and get back to you on this. I'll let you know tomorrow what they advise!

Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Okay - let me check with the course tutor and get back to you on this. I'll let you know tomorrow what they advise!

Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

Or if there is any other course available online?
As part of my Honours degree I completed a group major project that involved research and collecting date. Would that be sufficient?
As part of my Honours degree I completed a group major project that involved research and collecting date. Would that be sufficient?

Hello - apologies for the delay (I was off campus yesterday afternoon so didn't manage to reply to you!) It's quite probable that project will be useful, certainly if you are applying now for September I'd suggest adding that to your supporting statement. The course tutor is checking with the Open University for the modules which they would recommend using, but something utilising statistics or research methods will be their priority. If you're applying now, keep in the project information and if the tutors would like to see more, they may suggest taking a module from the OU. If I hear back from them about specific modules though, I'll let you know.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Reply 35
Anyone had an offer yet or know if it will it be much longer before offers start being released? Applied for physio at QMU!!
Reply 36
Original post by LCx2
Anyone had an offer yet or know if it will it be much longer before offers start being released? Applied for physio at QMU!!

I got a reply back in November to one course, but I've still got another two at QMU to hear back from. So I have no idea how long it could be sorry
Reply 37
Ah ok I'm only waiting since December, so I guess it'll be a while yet! Atleast you have one anyways. What's your choices there ?
Reply 38
Original post by LCx2
Ah ok I'm only waiting since December, so I guess it'll be a while yet! Atleast you have one anyways. What's your choices there ?

Youll hopefully hear back soon though! Media, film and media and PR and media
Applied for radiography at QMU but still haven't heard anything back, when can I expect to hear?

Quick Reply

Latest