The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've applied to Bsc and haven't heard anything yet😅 Nervous now after hearing people have offers 🙈
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Hey there! Anyone else on here applied to do the MSc/PgDip in Speech and Language Therapy at QMU starting in August? :biggrin:
Original post by LCx2
I've applied to Bsc and haven't heard anything yet😅 Nervous now after hearing people have offers 🙈

I really hope you hear soon, the waiting is the worst part I think.
Original post by wiltoe
That's what I figured! :smile: Congrats nonetheless, I'm sure that's a big load off.

Charlotte, I've taken a look around online and haven't been able to find any admissions stats for the Pre-Reg program... perhaps you'd have some answers for the following questions:

1) How many international students apply/are accepted for the program in a typical year?

2) Do we get a firm yes/no either way (ie. are we notified if our application wasn't successful)?

3) I know the prospectus says a 3.0 GPA is required, but do you have any idea what the average GPA for international students accepted would be? Would someone with a ~3.7-4.0 be considered highly competitive or is that in or around the range that most students apply with?

4) Are "non-science" majors considered at a disadvantage if they've completed 1st year level science courses and have hospital work experience? Are many non-traditional majors often accepted?

I know these are all very specific questions, I'm just looking for some sort of indication of how competitive the pool is as it's driving me crazy not knowing where I stand! Thanks so much in advance! :smile:

Hi there! So I can answer a few things, but in all honesty we don't really have a 'typical' year as applications vary so much.
- We have international applications every year (a number from Canada in previous years actually!) and places are allocated based on the most suitable candidates, we don't have international places vs. others for example.
- You will be notified either way regarding your application outcome.
- For GPA, if you meet the minimum 3.0, everyone will be considered in the same way. We don't allocate the higher grades first, as we take huge consideration on the personal statement experience. This is the key part of the application, a student may have a 3.1 but years of experience vs. 4.0 and only 2 days experience so we have to weigh up all aspects together.
- The pre-reg physio is designed for any background, but you should have some form of scientific enquiry experience (be this from data analysis/statistics or research methods courses within your degree). Again, everyone is considered the same and we don't give precedence to any one major subject, providing you can demonstrate scientific knowledge we will consider everyone. You should have some experience though, to show a knowledge of physio in particular, so any detail you can give there will help strengthen your application.

Sorry, I know it's not the clearest of responses for you but it really is a course where we will look at every application! That's what it is designed for, so we want to give everyone a full and fair assessment of their application. They are reviewing applications currently so you should begin to hear in the coming weeks.
Best of luck!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Reply 64
Original post by Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Hi there! So I can answer a few things, but in all honesty we don't really have a 'typical' year as applications vary so much.
- We have international applications every year (a number from Canada in previous years actually!) and places are allocated based on the most suitable candidates, we don't have international places vs. others for example.
- You will be notified either way regarding your application outcome.
- For GPA, if you meet the minimum 3.0, everyone will be considered in the same way. We don't allocate the higher grades first, as we take huge consideration on the personal statement experience. This is the key part of the application, a student may have a 3.1 but years of experience vs. 4.0 and only 2 days experience so we have to weigh up all aspects together.
- The pre-reg physio is designed for any background, but you should have some form of scientific enquiry experience (be this from data analysis/statistics or research methods courses within your degree). Again, everyone is considered the same and we don't give precedence to any one major subject, providing you can demonstrate scientific knowledge we will consider everyone. You should have some experience though, to show a knowledge of physio in particular, so any detail you can give there will help strengthen your application.

Sorry, I know it's not the clearest of responses for you but it really is a course where we will look at every application! That's what it is designed for, so we want to give everyone a full and fair assessment of their application. They are reviewing applications currently so you should begin to hear in the coming weeks.
Best of luck!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

That's all very helpful Charlotte, thanks!

Re: the scientific enquiry piece, I'll be graduating with a BComm w/ six credits of 'business' statistics, six credits of biology and 6 credits of physiology. I'm hoping that's enough to satisfy the requirement but I'm also enrolling in a summer anatomy course and I'm wondering if I should be contacting the school to let them know (I wasn't enrolled when I put together my application).

Thanks so much for being around to answer these questions for everyone. :smile:
Hi! I was just wondering if you had any idea when decisions will be made regarding undergrad Speech and Language Therapy? Thanks!
Original post by wiltoe
That's all very helpful Charlotte, thanks!

Re: the scientific enquiry piece, I'll be graduating with a BComm w/ six credits of 'business' statistics, six credits of biology and 6 credits of physiology. I'm hoping that's enough to satisfy the requirement but I'm also enrolling in a summer anatomy course and I'm wondering if I should be contacting the school to let them know (I wasn't enrolled when I put together my application).

Thanks so much for being around to answer these questions for everyone. :smile:

It would probably be really helpful to let them know that additional course, to be taken into consideration when they review your application. Email in to [email protected] and remember to give your application ID number. I'll let them know you'll be sending some more info so they can match it up. The Admissions tutor is reviewing applications now so as soon as you can would be great.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Original post by Hannah Louiise
Hi! I was just wondering if you had any idea when decisions will be made regarding undergrad Speech and Language Therapy? Thanks!

Hey. We will be sending decisions out over the next few weeks - there's no interview process so decisions are made based on the application and personal statement. You should hear back either way by the middle of March as there's around 200 applications to review. Best of luck!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Reply 68
It would probably be really helpful to let them know that additional course, to be taken into consideration when they review your application. Email in to [email protected] and remember to give your application ID number. I'll let them know you'll be sending some more info so they can match it up. The Admissions tutor is reviewing applications now so as soon as you can would be great.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

perfect, I sent them an email this morning and just heard back from them now. Thanks again!
Reply 69
Hi, anybody doing an associate degree? I'm studying business management as an associate student and desperate to find someone doing a similar course haha 😅
Original post by Amy2701
Hi, anybody doing an associate degree? I'm studying business management as an associate student and desperate to find someone doing a similar course haha 😅

Hi there - we had an Associate Student Facebook group (I think it is still used for new students to use) which you would be welcome to join. My colleague Karen can give you more information though, as she is the main contact for the Associate students. Email [email protected] and I'm sure she can let you know what channels to use to find your new classmates :smile:
All the best!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Reply 71
Hello, I have applied for 2 courses at QMU. I have received one unconditional offer for nutrition so far but I still haven’t heard from Dietetics. I’m starting to worry as I sent my application off in November. Could you possibly tell me how competitive the course is? Does it mean I won’t get an offer at all if they’re taking so long to reply?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 72
Hi
I applied for dietetics at QMU and haven't heard anything yet - has anybody heard anything that could update me? I'm so keen to go there and I'm so nervous of the wait
Original post by klajnyn3
Hello, I have applied for 2 courses at QMU. I have received one unconditional offer for nutrition so far but I still haven’t heard from Dietetics. I’m starting to worry as I sent my application off in November. Could you possibly tell me how competitive the course is? Does it mean I won’t get an offer at all if they’re taking so long to reply?

Hi there - Dietetics is really competitive as we only have around 25 places on the course and have several hundred applications coming in each year. Due to the nature of the course, decisions are only made once the deadline passes on 15th January so all on-time applications are considered. The Admissions tutor has been reviewing applications for the last 5 weeks and once they return their final selections we will be issuing them out. Unfortunately it is a bit of a waiting game, we hope for them to be issued in the next few weeks. The deadline is 31st March for all universities to have finalised decisions.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Original post by sm22911
Hi
I applied for dietetics at QMU and haven't heard anything yet - has anybody heard anything that could update me? I'm so keen to go there and I'm so nervous of the wait

Hi there - as above, Dietetics is hugely competitive so this course does take longer in their decisions coming back. The Admissions tutor has been reviewing applications for the last 5 weeks, and we hope the final decisions will be returned in the next few weeks. As soon as they are returned, they will be updated on Track for you.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Hi there! Decisions are being made by our Admissions tutor all the time for the Nursing course, and we will be allocating interview slots as quickly as possible. Those selected for interview will get a minimum of 3 weeks notice to make arrangements. Decisions are going out on UCAS daily, so it is a case of 'just keep checking', but I'm sure you are already.
Best of luck!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for responding! I'm sorry to trouble you again, but may i ask if you know when the deadline is for nursing applicants to hear back? Just getting panicked now as i really like the sound of QMU!
Hi Charlotte! I was wondering if you've heard if any decisions have been made about Theatre and Film? Thanks! :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by _asdfghjkl_
Hey there! Anyone else on here applied to do the MSc/PgDip in Speech and Language Therapy at QMU starting in August? :biggrin:

Hey! I'm starting this course in August :biggrin: good to find someone else! Have you heard much from QMU?
Reply 78
do all dietetics offers get sent out at the same time? my friend got his today and I haven't heard anything-does this mean I'm rejected??
Original post by Felix_felicis
Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for responding! I'm sorry to trouble you again, but may i ask if you know when the deadline is for nursing applicants to hear back? Just getting panicked now as i really like the sound of QMU!

They are literally going out daily - universities actually have until 31st March to make their decisions but obviously we try to be earlier than that!! With Nursing, we will have an interview date arranged, and there are a few of those, so when the Admissions tutor makes their selections the interviews are allocated. As mentioned before, you are given notice for interview so you can make arrangements. Hopefully within the next 2 or 3 weeks all of our decisions will be issued.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest