The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

#Dissertation Duration and jury?#

I appreaciate if anyone shares their information.

As far as I understood, at MSc level, our 2-3 hour examinations end in June. Then dissertation period starts in consultation with the adviser.

*What is the practice?
*Do they wait for the thesis at any time until September or only in September?
*Do they take it in August for example?
*Is there an obligation to write it at the LSE or do they allow student to finalise it in his/her home country?

*And will there be a jury before which we should defend our thesis?
Or as in some institutions, only application and one over read is enough?

Thanks in advance...
Regards...
Reply 1
*What is the practice?

Well, you write a thesis which lies somewhere within the confines of your subject area, although usually they’re quite flexible on this. There’s also a great deal of flexibility over how you carry your work out, it’s very much an independent project.

*Do they wait for the thesis at any time until September or only in September?
*Do they take it in August for example?

I’m pretty sure you may hand in your dissertation whenever you’re able to do so, although no later than the specified deadline of course. However, there's no particular advantage in doing this, you will only be given your dissertation and final degree mark after the examiners meeting, i.e. at the same time as everyone else.

*Is there an obligation to write it at the LSE or do they allow student to finalise it in his/her home country?

There's no obligation to write up your work at the LSE. If you’re looking to write up the thesis elsewhere, it would be wise to ensure that there’s a research library close at hand. Also, the standards are pretty high, it would be very useful for you to maintain a good deal of contact with your supervisor and have various draft copies looked at. If you do not do this, you’re very much minimising your chances of success, that is unless you have a great deal of prior research experience.

*And will there be a jury before which we should defend our thesis?

There could be a departmental variation, however, generally there tends to be no requirement of an oral defence. Perhaps if you’re on a borderline, or they suspect you may have plagiarised then there could well be.

Or as in some institutions, only application and one over read is enough?

As far as I know it’s read by two people, your supervisor and somebody else from your department, perhaps even from outside if need be. Also, it could be sent to an external examiner, I believe this is the LSE policy on those who’re at a borderline.

I'm assuming you'll be starting the MSc programme later this year..?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I thank you very much J.S and see why you are a respected member of our community. You were very helpful indeed...more importantly accurate...

I am going to be attending MSc in Social Policy and Planning in Developing Countries programme. I will be more than glad if you share any of your suggestions, sensations on this course or if you make me contact any postgraduates from the programme...

Best wishes...

Richard Bach:"Life is meaningful if you catch the opportunities"

Latest

Trending

Trending